Author Topic: No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread  (Read 4423 times)

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
Re: No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here a body in a soul
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:28 AM »
Just found this lovely NLOTH quote by Bono. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
So glad he says this as I really love this album.
Just listened to it in its entirety a couple times on a road trip the other day. Love it!

"Somebody told me that it's going to have sold five million copies by Christmas and that it's the equivalent now of what All That You Can't Leave Behind sold in 2000. While numbers aren't that interesting, when you don't have a hit song, which we didn't, that's kind of amazing. It's an album that's been taken to heart by a very particular audience and it hasn't popped the pop consciousness, so in that sense it didn't achieve what we wanted. Yet it's a great piece of work... it's complex, a big meal, and I'm very proud of it. "

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »
Just found this lovely NLOTH quote by Bono. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
So glad he says this as I really love this album.
Just listened to it in its entirety a couple times on a road trip the other day. Love it!

"Somebody told me that it's going to have sold five million copies by Christmas and that it's the equivalent now of what All That You Can't Leave Behind sold in 2000. While numbers aren't that interesting, when you don't have a hit song, which we didn't, that's kind of amazing. It's an album that's been taken to heart by a very particular audience and it hasn't popped the pop consciousness, so in that sense it didn't achieve what we wanted. Yet it's a great piece of work... it's complex, a big meal, and I'm very proud of it. "

Glad he realizes this!  :D

Jara

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:41 PM »
As a fan of 30 yrs, i rate NLOTH very highly indeed. In fact, it is probably my most listened u2 album these days (for near 3 yrs now). Only weak point in the album is GOYB....a POOR song by anyones standards, but i really love all the other songs. Easily their best album of the 00's ( and i really like the other two albums...so its not a case of..."the pick of a bad bunch")

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here a body in a soul
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 02:12:57 AM »
Me too Smee and MD.  I love NLOTH so I was so happy to see this quote. Glad he realizes this too!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »
Breathe came on my iPod this morning. My bf had fixed the balancing on my radio (I am ashamed to say that I did not have my bass, trebble, etc set right) and, oh my god, did Breathe sound so stunningly different.... I fell to pieces. I love that song.

Offline mdmomof7

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »
Breathe came on my iPod this morning. My bf had fixed the balancing on my radio (I am ashamed to say that I did not have my bass, trebble, etc set right) and, oh my god, did Breathe sound so stunningly different.... I fell to pieces. I love that song.

I surely sympathize, MG!

I really like to listen to the albums in the car. That closed in space just does it for me.

I got a new, cool, HD radio w/ WAYYY too MANY settings. I can't figure out how to jigger them because each push of a button does something different. Even on the same album, the settings need to be adjusted sometimes from song to song, at least for me. Driving me batty! lol!!!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »

I surely sympathize, MG!

I really like to listen to the albums in the car. That closed in space just does it for me.

I got a new, cool, HD radio w/ WAYYY too MANY settings. I can't figure out how to jigger them because each push of a button does something different. Even on the same album, the settings need to be adjusted sometimes from song to song, at least for me. Driving me batty! lol!!!

My new car is going to have an upgraded radio (an option with the car, I took it cuz I think I should have a nice radio in my car for once). So I will be enjoying the benefit of a closed-in stereo system for sure!! I think it's going to have too many controls that I wont know what to do with.

Realistically, I think that probably every song needs it's own settings... But no one has time to do that so you generally just end up setting it up in the best way that may satisfactorily fit all songs... :)

Offline mdmomof7

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »

I surely sympathize, MG!

My new car is going to have an upgraded radio (an option with the car, I took it cuz I think I should have a nice radio in my car for once). So I will be enjoying the benefit of a closed-in stereo system for sure!! I think it's going to have too many controls that I wont know what to do with.

Realistically, I think that probably every song needs it's own settings... But no one has time to do that so you generally just end up setting it up in the best way that may satisfactorily fit all songs... :)

The new radio went in my 2001 Caravan. Now I just need new speakers to do it justice.  ;)

Oldest dd just bought her first new car. We checked out the JBL sound system w/ TEN speakers! Oh my! That was sonic beauty!! I told her to spring for it if it was less than $500, but alas, it was over $1200! Her regular 6 speaker set up sounds much better after discovering that price tag! lol!!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »

I surely sympathize, MG!

The new radio went in my 2001 Caravan. Now I just need new speakers to do it justice.  ;)

Oldest dd just bought her first new car. We checked out the JBL sound system w/ TEN speakers! Oh my! That was sonic beauty!! I told her to spring for it if it was less than $500, but alas, it was over $1200! Her regular 6 speaker set up sounds much better after discovering that price tag! lol!!

Oh, man, that sucks. My upgraded radio only added $700 to the cost of my car. So I am going for it. It also has 10 speakers. FOR THE WIN!!! I cant wait to go rolling down the street with my new sound system. :) Of course, I'll just be blasting U2 very loudly. :) Well, mostly. I like other bands too. But, you know, U2... <3 <3 <3

Offline mdmomof7

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »

I surely sympathize, MG!

Oh, man, that sucks. My upgraded radio only added $700 to the cost of my car. So I am going for it. It also has 10 speakers. FOR THE WIN!!! I cant wait to go rolling down the street with my new sound system. :) Of course, I'll just be blasting U2 very loudly. :) Well, mostly. I like other bands too. But, you know, U2... <3 <3 <3

Congrats on your new car! What did you get?

Yeah, she wanted the Sport RAV4 model and the JBL was only on the luxury Limited model. Oh well. I LOVE her car! All her younger siblings love it too. The boys not so much. They say HER SUV is a chick one and they'd need the big one w/ the horrible gas mileage to be manly! lol!!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
I am getting a Subaru Outback. :) And trading in an Acura RSX. So I'm going from sporty to practical. Or sporty... in a different way. I needed a car that could lug all my sporty stuff to different locations. :)

Offline stuc

• Stateless
  • I can't change the world but .....
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »
This isnt a thread Ive ever posted on but having just come back from a beautiful autumnul countryside walk with NLOTH on my ipod Ive had a new and refershed like to this album as a whole, start to finish. Who'd have thought eh?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »
This isnt a thread Ive ever posted on but having just come back from a beautiful autumnul countryside walk with NLOTH on my ipod Ive had a new and refershed like to this album as a whole, start to finish. Who'd have thought eh?

NLOTH is definitely a more suitable soundtrack to an autumnal walk than, say, Pop or Zooropa.  I can just imagine running through the fallen leaves in a park listening to Breathe.

In fact, you've given me an idea as it's a lovely sunny autumnal day today. :)

Offline stuc

• Stateless
  • I can't change the world but .....
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »

NLOTH is definitely a more suitable soundtrack to an autumnal walk than, say, Pop or Zooropa.  I can just imagine running through the fallen leaves in a park listening to Breathe.

In fact, you've given me an idea as it's a lovely sunny autumnal day today. :)

Yep it is here too (cheshire, uk) - tress, leaves, colours etc all add to, say, UC or Breather