Author Topic: No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: No Line On The Horizon Worship Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 05:20:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This isnt a thread Ive ever posted on but having just come back from a beautiful autumnul countryside walk with NLOTH on my ipod Ive had a new and refershed like to this album as a whole, start to finish. Who'd have thought eh?

NLOTH is definitely a more suitable soundtrack to an autumnal walk than, say, Pop or Zooropa.  I can just imagine running through the fallen leaves in a park listening to Breathe.

In fact, you've given me an idea as it's a lovely sunny autumnal day today. :)

Yep it is here too (cheshire, uk) - tress, leaves, colours etc all add to, say, UC or Breather

I live near to you.

Did passers-by look at you queerly when you started chanting along to UC? :D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »
Nature really helps one appreciate NLOTH, I think. That awesome day in Rhode Island when it rained and I was on the beach listening to NLOTH... Good memories. :)

Walking through a park also sounds like fun.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
Sick kids doesn't usually make me appreciate things but kids are now playing NLOTH and I am definitely appreciating! 
(or maybe I am trying to rewind and replay?  ;D)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
This isnt a thread Ive ever posted on but having just come back from a beautiful autumnul countryside walk with NLOTH on my ipod Ive had a new and refershed like to this album as a whole, start to finish. Who'd have thought eh?

NLOTH is definitely a more suitable soundtrack to an autumnal walk than, say, Pop or Zooropa.  I can just imagine running through the fallen leaves in a park listening to Breathe.

Yep it is here too (cheshire, uk) - tress, leaves, colours etc all add to, say, UC or Breather

I live near to you.

I'm guessing he did not notice the passers-by, and they did not notice him.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »

I live near to you.

I'm guessing he did not notice the passers-by, and they did not notice him.

Was it 3:33 pm at the time?

Nanda360

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:03 PM »
 ::) Again, NLOTH without Fez and Get on your boots and with different arrangements for the title song would almost be a great album. I expected much more and after a wonderful work done on HTDAAT (the only track I didn't like in this album was One Step Closer). I became sad and frustrated with the weird NLOTH features. I wanted more than a couple of good tunes, that are Magnificent and I'll Go Crazy.

Offline AJ

• Precious Stone
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
For me I never got the songs Cedars and White as Snow especially Cedars. Its not really a song more like listening to Bono talking to a little backround noise. Its interesting for one listen but then I haven't listened to it since

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 04:26:09 AM »
Listening to this album right now. I love it...

Our chorus is singing Oh Come Emmanuel for our concert and I keep wanting to sing White As Snow instead. :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
For me I never got the songs Cedars and White as Snow especially Cedars. Its not really a song more like listening to Bono talking to a little backround noise. Its interesting for one listen but then I haven't listened to it since

Cedars is probably the song which incites the most divided opinion on NLOTH.  Some of us think Cedars is the best song U2 have made in over a decade, whilst others think it's one of the weakest songs on NLOTH.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • Still running
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

Cedars is probably the song which incites the most divided opinion on NLOTH.  Some of us think Cedars is the best song U2 have made in over a decade, whilst others think it's one of the weakest songs on NLOTH.

I really like Cedars. It's different and certainly a different direction for U2; I love the moody and pensive atmosphere that it creates to close the album. It gets better with every listen.

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
I, too, love Cedars, but I understand where detractors of the song are coming from. It's definitely more 'mood' than 'music', although Edge's guitar solo makes up for that somewhat. Cedars is like Bono talking right into my ear as I'm lying in bed or driving alone, and it's not sexual. It just gets right to my soul. But it's true, since Cedars is mostly Bono talking, I cannot imagine any tribute band ever covering this song! Bono's voice is really warm and lush on the track. I'd probably skip Cedars if I'm driving with someone, it takes a lot of 'getting into', even for us real fans. Without knowing the title (beautiful, btw), listeners might be even more clueless about the context.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
I, too, love Cedars, but I understand where detractors of the song are coming from. It's definitely more 'mood' than 'music', although Edge's guitar solo makes up for that somewhat. Cedars is like Bono talking right into my ear as I'm lying in bed or driving alone, and it's not sexual. It just gets right to my soul. But it's true, since Cedars is mostly Bono talking, I cannot imagine any tribute band ever covering this song! Bono's voice is really warm and lush on the track. I'd probably skip Cedars if I'm driving with someone, it takes a lot of 'getting into', even for us real fans. Without knowing the title (beautiful, btw), listeners might be even more clueless about the context.

It's interesting that you say that since I think Cedars features the best music on the album.  But you're right, it does capture a mood more than any other song on the album.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »

I'd say Unknown Caller or Stand Up Comedy are far more divisive than Cedars. There is some pretty vehement hatred as well as love for both songs. I don't see negative opinions about Cedars that are quite so strong.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »

I'd say Unknown Caller or Stand Up Comedy are far more divisive than Cedars. There is some pretty vehement hatred as well as love for both songs. I don't see negative opinions about Cedars that are quite so strong.

I don't see the kind of love for those songs that Cedars gets.  Certainly, UC was ranked considerably higher than Cedars in the NLOTH songs rankings thread.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
I think Cedars is one of the best songs in light of showcasing the maturity the band now has.