Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread!  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »
Who's planning on getting the remastered albums? I'm going to try to eventually buy all of the remastered CDs but part of me feels like I should just buy the old complete album box set since it is cheaper.

I currently have all of the albums on cassette :P (and Houses of the Holy on vinyl).

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
Just saw that HDTracks is offering these as high def downloads:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
Who's planning on getting the remastered albums? I'm going to try to eventually buy all of the remastered CDs but part of me feels like I should just buy the old complete album box set since it is cheaper.

I currently have all of the albums on cassette :P (and Houses of the Holy on vinyl).

I will likely buy them too.  I just bought Led Zep I on vinyl and the deluxe 2 cd- the Olympia concert is great!  I put the vinyl beside my two prized led zeppelin vinyls- a near mint copy of physical graffiti with the cellophane still intact with slit cut for the opening that I bought when I was 12 (I play it only a few times a year) and a very good copy of zoso I found last summer.

Jon

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »

I would buy the latest remaster, even if it costs much more. An older remaster has no value.

macfoley

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
I own all the remastered cd's from the 90's and they sound great. Listened to Led Zepp today and it sounds really really good.

I doubt I will be purchasing the latest remasters as I can't see how the songs can sound any different, cleaner, mastered or remastered than they already are. I can't hear no difference either in the Mothership tracks to the 90's remasters either, so for me, The Song Remains the Same...

Fantastic band though!

macfoley

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
Not my favorite band, but I own IV and Physical Graffiti, which are in my top 20 albums of all time.

have you heard the first 3?

No, I haven't. Should I?

III is ok. Not one of my favs, but it does have a couple of belters on there.

II and IV and vital I would say for Zepp albums. PG is great too.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
the instrumental track of Thank You sounds amazing. 

Offline alexsandro

• Babyface
  • Real men don't tweet
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »
The Super Deluxes are just beautiful.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
I'm thinking about just getting one disc remastered versions of the albums since they're a little bit cheaper. But that concert on Zeppelin I sounds interesting.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Most over rated band ever.  Jimmy Page may be technically good, but many of his riffs were stolen from old blues artists.  Also, 30 minutes of Dazed and Confused is the epitome of rock hubris.  The Stones were far superior in the blues rock category.  There's a reason why the old blues guys played with the stones and not zep - because they respected them and didn't steal their sh**.  Rock critics were right the first time around about Zep. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »
Most over rated band ever.  Jimmy Page may be technically good, but many of his riffs were stolen from old blues artists.  Also, 30 minutes of Dazed and Confused is the epitome of rock hubris.  The Stones were far superior in the blues rock category.  There's a reason why the old blues guys played with the stones and not zep - because they respected them and didn't steal their sh**.  Rock critics were right the first time around about Zep.

i suggest you read this...

or heres the abbrievated form...

"Don't Be A D**k

In discussing these guidelines, our moderation team kept returning to one common sentence that sums up so much about what we demand of users: Don't be a d**k.

We're not going to define every possible behavior that fits it. But here's one: Going into an "Appreciation" thread and saying "This sucks..." is bad form, immature and d**kish. Don't do it.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »
I picked up the 2 disc version of Zeppelin I the other day. Haven't listened to it yet (I've heard the album before of course).

I think that whenever I get Zeppelin II & III, I'll probably just get the 1 disc version since the second disc on those ones doesn't really interest me.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
I'll admit that my obsession with LZ has faded over time, but I haven't quite listening to them.  In fact, I probably appreciate it when I listen to them more now then I used to.  I've grown to find Physical Grafitti is my favorite (in my obsession I loved IV and Houses of the Holy).  I'm also loving In Through the Outdoor, which I know isn't commonly liked much, but there is something about later Zeppelin that is still good. 

I've also become quite a fan of the Celebration Day concert.  I appreciate their tactic in doing a reunion the way they did it.  Everyone gets a high quality recording of 4 guys having a fantastic time in a one off show, granted we miss out on the original drummer. I've also loved the How the West Was Won live album, and I'm curious enough to pick up the 2-disc version of I for the live recording.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
I listened to the Paris show on the deluxe version of I yesterday. It's pretty good, although it's not the best quality (probably sourced from a cassette or other low quality, faded tape).

The album itself sounds good for the most part. Definitely a step up from my cassette copy. :P

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
The Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy remasters are coming out October 28.