Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 16525 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
Re: Nine Inch Nails
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »
while we await the next version of NIN, here's the final show from the last version, available as a free download:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

3-1/2 hours and 37 songs!   8)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
Funny to see a NIN thread pop up again.  I've been going through a bit of a resurgence with them lately.  They were kind enough to post some REALLY good videos on their Facebook page, and I've been listening to some of their stuff for the first time in awhile.  Man, The Downward Spiral is just great--there is just so much going on, melodically, harmonically, rhythmically.  I'm sure many people just hear this all-out assault, and that's certainly a part of it, but it's just so musically adept.  I can rarely sustain an interest in them for too long, as it can be overly intense, but it's been a treat getting back into them.

I saw them on the Wave Goodbye Tour in Chicago.  They opened with the first three tracks of Broken: Pinion, Wish, and Last.  Holy F*#$, what a show opener that was.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Funny to see a NIN thread pop up again.  I've been going through a bit of a resurgence with them lately.  They were kind enough to post some REALLY good videos on their Facebook page, and I've been listening to some of their stuff for the first time in awhile.  Man, The Downward Spiral is just great--there is just so much going on, melodically, harmonically, rhythmically.  I'm sure many people just hear this all-out assault, and that's certainly a part of it, but it's just so musically adept.  I can rarely sustain an interest in them for too long, as it can be overly intense, but it's been a treat getting back into them.

I saw them on the Wave Goodbye Tour in Chicago.  They opened with the first three tracks of Broken: Pinion, Wish, and Last.  Holy F*#$, what a show opener that was.

I used to feel the overwhelming assault you  are talking about, but then I found that albums like Year Zero and The Fragile were really great musically and lyrically while being easier to digest in larger doses (not necessarily better).  Reznor's ability to put together a concept album really shines. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »

I used to feel the overwhelming assault you  are talking about, but then I found that albums like Year Zero and The Fragile were really great musically and lyrically while being easier to digest in larger doses (not necessarily better).  Reznor's ability to put together a concept album really shines. 

Yeah, I even like With Teeth, in that it sort of finally lets the foot off the gas a little bit and allows songs to be "poppy"--at least relative to the rest of their catalog.  The Fragile is an interesting beast, in that I find it almost impossible to get through the whole thing--it just kind of drags for me, and is one of the most "could be a great single disc" double albums I know of.  But there is some really cool stuff in there which pointed the way toward his later ambient and soundtrack works.  One wouldn't have expected NIN to reference Debussey, but he did.  Some of those tracks, like La Mer, are the most successful on the album.  The heavier stuff, for me, not as much.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
The new single is here!   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 04:59:33 AM »
The new album is called Hesitation Marks. It's coming out September 3 and will be Halo 28. And they've announced their fall arena tour!!

October 8 in Pittsburgh!!!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
Interesting, Came Back Haunted reminds me of a modern version of Pretty Hate Machine.

Loving the wobbly synths!  8)

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »
I've never listened to them. The single was pretty good so I downloaded The Slip *it said it was free*

is it a good album?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
yeah, there's some really good stuff therein, especially some of the quieter pieces towards the end.

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
Cool. About to give it a listen

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
I'm not sure about this.  The new track is, well, pretty much exactly what you'd expect from NIN.  Almost to the point of self-parody.  It's not bad or anything, and I bet it sounds great live, but it sounds like pretty much five other NIN tracks that have come before.  It sort of seems odd for him to disappear (sort of) for a few years, and then find a reason to come back, and it ends up sounding exactly like he always did.  But who knows.  I suppose if U2 came back with something that sounded like (what I consider) classic U2 to sound like (which does not mean their 00's stuff), I'd be happy. 

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »
anyone have Reznor's Social Network score? i want that and the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo score when thats out.

Although it's not better then the original I like what they did with Grieg's Mountain King.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - In The Hall Of The Mountain King
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:03:50 PM by Allie79 »

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »
Ken, if you're going to listen to NIN then you must start with Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
Ken, if you're going to listen to NIN then you must start with Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral
I just got the Slip cause it was free  :P

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »
I'm not sure about this.  The new track is, well, pretty much exactly what you'd expect from NIN.  Almost to the point of self-parody.  It's not bad or anything, and I bet it sounds great live, but it sounds like pretty much five other NIN tracks that have come before.  It sort of seems odd for him to disappear (sort of) for a few years, and then find a reason to come back, and it ends up sounding exactly like he always did.  But who knows.  I suppose if U2 came back with something that sounded like (what I consider) classic U2 to sound like (which does not mean their 00's stuff), I'd be happy. 

I have to agree.  I love Nine Inch Nails, but he definitely hasn't changed his sound much over time.  I think his real strength has always been in the album as a whole.  The Singles have never been what I'd call bad, but I love his ability to make a concept album, so I won't judge until it's done.  His greatness and appeal, for me, is in his lyrics.