Author Topic: Concerts of 2012!  (Read 20769 times)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: Concerts of 2012!
« Reply #585 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
The big alt rock station in town has announced their annual Christmas show, a two-night affair.  It's got the usual mix of this year's darlings and a few big draws, but Jack White and The Killers headlining night 2 absolutely slays night 1 imo.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I really struggle with "festivals" and multi-act events like this. The expense and hassle of concerts means I only go if there's someone I really like playing.  But if that someone I really like isn't topping the bill, I'll probably be disappointed by how short the set is.  And I'll never forgive of Montreal for running long with their set and cutting time away from the Wombats last month.  I guess I might just have a Billy Joe freakout if I attend this Christmas show and Passion Pit only gets to play 3 songs so Fun! can play 6.  :P

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #586 on: November 12, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
yeah night 2 looks a good lineup. Garbage on night 1 would be good too.

I agree with you on Festivals in generally, but if you pick the right festival it's amazing. What you don't want at a festival is 20,000 people just buying tickets to see the headliners. Then it sucks.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #587 on: November 12, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
The big alt rock station in town has announced their annual Christmas show, a two-night affair.  It's got the usual mix of this year's darlings and a few big draws, but Jack White and The Killers headlining night 2 absolutely slays night 1 imo.

I really struggle with "festivals" and multi-act events like this. The expense and hassle of concerts means I only go if there's someone I really like playing.  But if that someone I really like isn't topping the bill, I'll probably be disappointed by how short the set is.  And I'll never forgive of Montreal for running long with their set and cutting time away from the Wombats last month.  I guess I might just have a Billy Joe freakout if I attend this Christmas show and Passion Pit only gets to play 3 songs so Fun! can play 6.  :P

I love KROQ! I would like to go to Almost Acoustic Christmas one year.

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #588 on: November 12, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
righto, couple of snaps from recent gigs...

Grizzly Bear last night
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Black Keys last week
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now as some of you might have read, this was my 3yo son's first live show. He is a ridiculously big black keys fan, far more than I am. At the end of the gig Dan gave him a setlist and the roadies gave him a signed drum skin and one of Patrick's drumsticks.

So he's one happy boy. But he did get a bit upset that he didn't give Patrick a 'high 5'. He soon got over it.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
« Reply #589 on: November 12, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »

KROQ has cool events and some interesting niche programming, but they play it very safe with their musical programming 85% of the time.  I'm not one to automatically hate anything mainstream, but the L.A. rock stations take mainstream to the extreme.  Every time I leave the area, I get local station envy at the true variety that shows up on everyone else's modern and alt rock stations.  Denver and Seattle seem to have some especially good options. 

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
« Reply #590 on: November 12, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Now as some of you might have read, this was my 3yo son's first live show. He is a ridiculously big black keys fan, far more than I am. At the end of the gig Dan gave him a setlist and the roadies gave him a signed drum skin and one of Patrick's drumsticks.

So he's one happy boy. But he did get a bit upset that he didn't give Patrick a 'high 5'. He soon got over it.

What a great show for him (I daren't share "first show" as I'm betting he made his concert debut before).  Classy of the Keys too.  If I was a rock star, I'd give all my goodies to adorable children instead of annoying fan girls. 

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #591 on: November 12, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
He will now only play his drums when he puts them on top of his Thomas the Tank table, as he has to be on a 'platform, like Patrick'.

Driving me insane.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #592 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
Aw!

KROQ has cool events and some interesting niche programming, but they play it very safe with their musical programming 85% of the time.  I'm not one to automatically hate anything mainstream, but the L.A. rock stations take mainstream to the extreme.  Every time I leave the area, I get local station envy at the true variety that shows up on everyone else's modern and alt rock stations.  Denver and Seattle seem to have some especially good options. 

I like the Kevin and Bean show. ;)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #593 on: November 13, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
I'm seeing the Monkees on Saturday.  ;D ;D ;D

Cant wait, actually. Mike Nesmith!!

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The hurt you hide and the joy you hold
« Reply #594 on: November 13, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
^Wow! I had no idea they were still around! Fun!!

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The hurt you hide and the joy you hold
« Reply #595 on: November 13, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »
He will now only play his drums when he puts them on top of his Thomas the Tank table, as he has to be on a 'platform, like Patrick'.

Driving me insane.

Adorable!!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #596 on: November 13, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
^Wow! I had no idea they were still around! Fun!!

They are doing a tour in Davy's honor or something. And Mike Nesmith is touring with him. This is unprecedented!! He's never toured with the Monkees but a few times! None that I've ever seen. Mike's songs are some of my favorite!!

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #597 on: November 13, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »
I saw Paul McCartney on Sunday night in St. Louis.  He was absolutely brilliant, and I can honestly say it was the best concert I ever attended.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #598 on: November 13, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
I saw Paul McCartney on Sunday night in St. Louis.  He was absolutely brilliant, and I can honestly say it was the best concert I ever attended.

Did he have to leave the stage several times to take a pee?

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #599 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

Did he have to leave the stage several times to take a pee?

That's what the cup on the monitors is for