Author Topic: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?  (Read 12248 times)

Offline soloyan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."
Re: Why has nothing from Pop been played since Elevation Tour?
« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2012, 02:53:25 AM »
Not sure it has been posted - couldn't read the whole 15 pages - but to me this alone is proof U2 could get back to POP from time to time...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

AMAZING live tune !!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:58:22 AM by soloyan »

satellitedog01

« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
That version sucks. It's empty, boring and Larry's lack of enthusiasm is grating.

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:13 AM »
That version sucks. It's empty, boring and Larry's lack of enthusiasm is grating.

As a song it probably has to have a moment in time (Popmart) or as you say everyone engaged in playing it!

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »
I'd love to see them play around with an acoustic version of Do You Feel Loved. No real reason - just would love to hear Edge interpret it differently.

Gone and MoFo are some of Adam and Larry's finest work - it would be lovely to see them showcase those two songs again.

As for Please - that song, live in Dublin, Popmart, 1997 - shivers. That change from Bullet to Please to Streets was ah-mazing!

If God Will Send His Angels would be a nice surprise.

Pop nostalgia...

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
8 million sold = flop.

wow...

Actually it was 5.5 million and eventually reached 6 million.  The 7 million and 8 million figures are exagerations or over estimates.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
I think the please-streets segue was one of the finest moments ever from the band. The Rotterdam please ep was phenomenal.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Stateless
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
Because Pop was a commercial failure.

Cheers,

TD.

I wonder if I'm the only one who caught your wit, well played.

Offline xy

• Numb
« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
How can anyone say that the "pop" period hasn't given them some of their best songs baffles me. "Please" is one of the finest songs they've ever done. They blame "Pop" for the fact they went into stadiums in the middle of a recession for the second time in less than six months, and wonder why they didn't sell any tickets when plenty of people couldn't afford food.

That didn't stop them flogging oodles of tickets at extortionate prices during a decession on the last tour.

Like having thousands of tickets at 30 USD ?

The whining about ticket prices can begin when they charge what Stone$, Madonna, or Macca charge.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
How can anyone say that the "pop" period hasn't given them some of their best songs baffles me. "Please" is one of the finest songs they've ever done. They blame "Pop" for the fact they went into stadiums in the middle of a recession for the second time in less than six months, and wonder why they didn't sell any tickets when plenty of people couldn't afford food.

That didn't stop them flogging oodles of tickets at extortionate prices during a decession on the last tour.

Like having thousands of tickets at 30 USD ?

And they had many more tickets at higher prices.  Some of which are extortionate for a stadium show.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I am not invisible
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
Pop is the only U2 album that I have yet to hear a full song performed from in concert. It's one of my favorites and I agree that songs like Gone, SATS, Mofo, Discotheque, Please, and LNOE would fit in with just about any show. If they were able to play Scarlet and Zooropa on the 360 Tour then I have high hopes something from Pop will resurface again.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Child of Grace
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
Thing is, there seem to be some "default" Pop songs they rely on.  SATS is a go-to acoustic piece.  WUDM is snippeted.  The other two used to any degree after the PopMart tour are Discotheque (during Vertigo) and Gone (during Elevation).  Gone would be great, yes--the other three aren't as impressive to me.  But if they pulled out Please or Mofo, I'd be floored.

Of course, like the resurrected Zoo Station on Vertigo, I'd also be fearful that any new version would fail to live up to the original.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
Thing is, there seem to be some "default" Pop songs they rely on.  SATS is a go-to acoustic piece.  WUDM is snippeted.

It laziness.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Child of Grace
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
Thing is, there seem to be some "default" Pop songs they rely on.  SATS is a go-to acoustic piece.  WUDM is snippeted.

It laziness.

Pretty much.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »

Both of those were just Elevation though, right? And on that tour they also did Please (Mostly acoustic but once electric), plus Gone as you note and Discotheque semi-regularly.  So it can't really be 'lazy' that they played them since they were playing a few other full band 'Pop' songs at the same time.

They haven't really done anything since Elevation, as was originally said, except the theque twice on Vertigo and worked into Crazy on 360, although they did rehearse Mofo for Vertigo.