Author Topic: Rolling Stones' 50th Anniversary Tour Pushed Back To 2013  (Read 12639 times)

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
Re: Rolling Stones' 50th Anniversary Tour Pushed Back To 2013
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Honestly, at this point, I'm not too into "how good they sound"...(within reason!) fans know what to expect by this point ...it's fun to enjoy them still being together, and entertaining fans...and I'm glad to see them get a bit of the spotlight one last time.

I bet they sound better than they did in '81.
very possible...yet, that PPV, cassette tape (was simulcast on radio too) was played SO MANY times (I STILL have it!), is what I "knew and loved" for years..so when I saw them for real in '89..(after thinking they were NEVER going to tour again lol)..I was amazed at how good they sounded! I believe, OVERALL...Steel Wheels Tour was the best sounding tour they've ever done..IMO

Have you downloaded the offical Hampton Coliseum '81 show yet?

I reckon Bridges to Babylon was their best sounding tour.  Mick was still in good voice and they'd nailed the modern Stones' augmented band sound by then.  Steel Wheels was probably too slick with Matt Clifford's electronica.  Still, 2000 Light Years from Home is a delight to hear and Matt even played French horn at the start of YCAGWYW.
yes I downloaded it! best $5 I ever spent..lol...the one thing I realized from re-listening to it again..was just how much sax player, Ernie Watts played and did....phenomenal

Amazing to think they started that tour without a sax player.
did not know that!

According to Bill Wyman in his book: Rolling With The Stones, they played the first three shows without horns and then they decided that horns were needed and so Lee Allen played sax at the Rockford and Boulder shows, before Ernie Watts took over for the rest of the tour.
amazed at that...because Ernie played not only sax parts of songs, but also "background vocal parts" using the sax as well!..(such as the beginning of "Waiting On a Friend" fore example)..

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
Lady Gaga is doing a guest spot at tonight's show, lol!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
Lady Gaga is doing a guest spot at tonight's show, lol!

A Ruby Tuesday duet with Mick would be a good one for her.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
Mick Taylor talks Stones:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »
Bruce Springsteen played with the Stones on Tumbling Dice last night in New Jersey.  It must have been a proud moment for him.  To be honest, I've been a tad disappointed with the set-lists of the Stones' recent shows.  While there have undoubtedly been highlights such as the Stones being reunited with Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler, the performances of YCAGWYW with a choir, and the sprinkling of special guests, the set-lists don't really jump from the page and I feel they could have varied things up quite a bit more given that they were only playing five shows.  I guess, as always, you had to be at the actual shows to fully appreciate whether the show 'flowed'.  If the Stones decide to extend this run of shows with a full scale tour starting next year, I predict they'll cut the length of the show and only play about 19/20 songs a night, and I don't think we'd have the special guests, or Mick Tayor, or Bill Wyman, or the choir.  With these set-lists, in stadiums, at high prices, I don't think I'll be going to see them again for the last time.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:06:27 AM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Just saw a clip of Gaga with the Stones doing 'Gimme Shelter' - what the f'k was that? One of the most inadvertently funniest things I've ever seen. So glad I didn't pay for that, if you're having a crappy day then have a look, bloody hilarious. Mick's face is priceless.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
Bruce Springsteen played with the Stones on Tumbling Dice last night in New Jersey.  It must have been a proud moment for him.  To be honest, I've been a tad disappointed with the set-lists of the Stones' recent shows.  While there have undoubtedly been highlights such as the Stones being reunited with Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler, the performances of YCAGWYW with a choir, and the sprinkling of special guests, the set-lists don't really jump from the page and I feel they could have varied things up quite a bit more given that they were only playing five shows.  I guess, as always, you had to be at the actual shows to fully appreciate whether the show 'flowed'.  If the Stones decide to extend this run of shows with a full scale tour starting next year, I predict they'll cut the length of the show and only play about 19/20 songs a night, and I don't think we'd have the special guests, or Mick Tayor, or Bill Wyman, or the choir.  With these set-lists, in stadiums, at high prices, I don't think I'll be going to see them again for the last time.

The Boss looked like a kid in a candy store. He was grinning the whole time. The Stones were a big influence on him. I wish they let him solo a bit longer and also build the song up a bit. It was good but could have been epic if they didn't need to make it short for the PPV time constraints.

I'm at the point where I really don't need to see the Stones anymore. I saw them on the Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon tours, but decided to skip all the tours since. The one thing that intrigues me a bit is that it looks like they may be going back to a more stripped down sound. The tours in the last 12 years have relied a bit too much on the backing band for my liking. I also will not pay over $200 to sit at the end of a stadium so if the seats aren't close I wouldn't go.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
I watched the PPV (although the atmosphere here in my house was definitely subdued with the school shootings here in CT) with...all in all, a good show and I'm glad I got to see it...will I go in future IF they do somewhat of a tour? POSSIBLY....many factors will go into the decision!

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
Happy birthday Keef!!!  8)

Offline AchtungPop

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk On
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »
"Grrr!" 50 track version is only 5.99 on Amazon MP3 right now (as well as a ton of other albums, U2 included). Wasn't going to get it, but there's like 12 songs on it I don't have, so its worth getting.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
"Grrr!" 50 track version is only 5.99 on Amazon MP3 right now (as well as a ton of other albums, U2 included). Wasn't going to get it, but there's like 12 songs on it I don't have, so its worth getting.

no, it's not.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2012, 08:16:58 AM »
Mick and Keith didn't even bother attending Ronnie Wood's marriage.  I know they are tax exiles but they mustn't regard a bandmate's - or in Keith's case, a supposedly best friend's - wedding as a reason to use up one of their annual allowance of days which they can spend in the UK before being liable for paying income tax in the UK.  Rod Stewart did the honours as best man.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »
If you have the Rolling Stones' mobile app, you just might've seen a Stones date at Coachella 2013 posted on it.

It got taken down quick, though. Coachella's lineup should be announced in 5 or 6 weeks (it takes place in April), so you'll know soon enough.

also, check out Mick's Dylan impersonation:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:33:26 PM by imaginary friend »

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »
interesting...they may be looking at multi-night residencies in major cities - that sounds like arena dates only, barring any festival appearances:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
If you have the Rolling Stones' mobile app, you just might've seen a Stones date at Coachella 2013 posted on it.

It got taken down quick, though. Coachella's lineup should be announced in 5 or 6 weeks (it takes place in April), so you'll know soon enough.

also, check out Mick's Dylan impersonation:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mick says Coachella's out - "too early":    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login