Author Topic: Obscure references to U2  (Read 11391 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • ....Is how to shoot someone who outdrew you....
Re: Obscure references to U2
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
The Simpsons Sex Lies and Idiot Scrapes episode

Mayor Quimby: "I, Joseph Fitzgerald O'Malley Fitzpatrick O'Donnell The Edge Quimby, welcome you to Springfield's first booze-free St. Patrick's Day!"

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

One of the CDs that Peele's character tosses in the box at 0:30 looks like U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Wonder if anyone can see for sure?

(I recently discovered the comic ingenuity of Key & Peele)

Offline NeverInTheDaylight

• Babyface
  • Every artist is a cannibal
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
the is some U2 music in American Pscyho, but can you name the tune?

I remember one song was obviously WTSHNN but Bateman thought it was something called "Where the Beat Sounds the Same"....I always thought it was a derogatory crack implying their songs are too similar....

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 11:20:07 AM »
Why did the showrunners think that the contestants would know Cedars of Lebanon? It's probably one of U2's most obscure tracks.

Offline tigerfan41

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

One of the CDs that Peele's character tosses in the box at 0:30 looks like U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Wonder if anyone can see for sure?

Key & Peele are fantastic. I never noticed that before in the video, but now looking at it, it does look like that CD......or at least the cover's similar.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Up With the Sun
  • VOTE FOR THE FORUM AWARDS!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »

Key & Peele are fantastic. I never noticed that before in the video, but now looking at it, it does look like that CD......or at least the cover's similar.
I love Key & Peele too. not as good as Chapelle in terms of skit show but the Obama stuff is awesome. My favorite is the East/West football game. doesn't look like Bomb that much to me though  :-\
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:56:10 PM by KENNING »

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »
Yeah, I posted about HTDAAB on youtube, and someone commented that he analyzed it and it is not U2's album sleeve :(

Key and Peele is most famous for their Obama's anger translator (Luther) bit, but I love their other mini sketches more. The fact that they themselves are biracial/African American gives them license to 'tell it like it is'/ poke fun at worldly observations. Check out the 'substitute teacher' sketch! And Key is so cute! Great smile, nice body  ;D

Offline NotFadeAway

• Babyface
  • ♫ Be uncool, don't look in the obvious place ♫
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:28 AM »
I found one in an Italian book, the author wrote about a man in the petrol station who was listening to U2 and Bono was singing that he still hadn'd found what he was looking for.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Global Moderator
  • Intellectual Tortoise
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
The movie Accepted starring Justin Long, had this exchange between Justin's character and his father:

"There are plenty of people who didn't go to college...Albert Einstein, Pocahontas, Lewis and Clark, Bono."

His father replied "I don't care what Sonny Bono did, you are going to college."

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The hurt you hide and the joy you hold
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but my youngest daughter just told me that in Drew Barrymore's Big Miracle the guy character (Krasinski?) mentions Rattle & Hum. Can't wait to find the snippet and just the fact that my daughter knows what Rattle & Hum is = score!!  ;)

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • Free yourself to be yourself.
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:47 AM »
heh, just watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and the current contestant (who as I type has just bombed out because she said Dave Grohl was in Soundgarden  ::)  ) has put in her contestant profile that at a concert in 1998 she reached over the barrier and gave Bono a nipple cripple!  :o   :D

Offline Taco

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I like tacos
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:11 PM »
There is a popular app available in the app store called Icon Pop Quiz where you have to guess what the icon is representing.  One of the icons is the famous people section is Bono.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2013, 12:40:32 AM »
The Simpsons Sex Lies and Idiot Scrapes episode

Mayor Quimby: "I, Joseph Fitzgerald O'Malley Fitzpatrick O'Donnell The Edge Quimby, welcome you to Springfield's first booze-free St. Patrick's Day!"

This gave me a hearty chuckle.

Offline Smee

• Desert Rose
  • Controversial, but true!
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
In the comedy movie The Commitments...about a Soul band being formed in Dublin, the father of the Manager of the Band says (about the bands formation) "I bet u2 are sh**ting themselves"

In the Worlds longest running Soap Opera (Coronation Street), the only time a song has featured in the show in its 50 year history, was when there had been a disaster in the street and the show played out with All I Want Is You

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Spoof site/store The Onio put out a mock "World Atlas". On the cover page (the hardcover right in front!!), it mentions that there is a "Bono-Awareness rating for each nation"  ;D Lol

Sadly, there isn't any actual Bono rating for each nation covered in the book.

In this fake atlas, there was a photoshopped pic in the page for a poorer African nation. It showed aid workers carrying a box labeled "Bono" and another box labeled "Clooney". (to jokingly represent that our B and Clooney are aid resources to Africa). It was a bit disturbing, come to think of them being stuffed in boxes  :o