Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club  (Read 33563 times)

Jara

The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »
I thought it would be good to dedicate a thread to those of us who love vinyl/Record decks.

Maybe you wanna share what vinyl you bought, What vinyl your planning buying.....mibees want to share info about good record decks/ cartridges/ stylus etc etc.

Personally, i ADORE vinyl. I have a Rega Planar 3 deck with an RB300 tone arm. I have started collecting vinyl again and have a humble pile at the moment, and would like to collect certain albums on vinyl.
I think next on my hit list shall be Robert Plaant and Allison Krauss: Raising Sand. I have a theory this will sound great on vinyl.

I think i will have to think about replacing the cartridge soon, but being honest, im not sure which would be best suit for my tone arm, given that i would have a budget of about 40-50

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
I haven't bought an album on vinyl since the beginning of 1990, but I still have all my LPs. replaced my old Technics...with another Technics.

My vinyl collection is about 200 or so, including some 12" singles and bootlegs.

:)

The Grave

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
I have UABRS, TUF, TJT and October on vinyl. also the Streets single

still no player  ::)

Offline edgetastic [Vote Zaphod]

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
Vinyl is the BEST.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
I need to get a new record player. One with a headphone jack and those black and red plug thingys to hook it up to speakers. I have one of those mediocre record/CD things you find in Best Buy.

Jara

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »
I was gutted recently, when finaly getting around to picking up my vinyl records from my dads. they been lying there for the past 20 yrs. Sadly....not one of my u2 singles collection was there. I had some good stuff. All original singles like A Celebration, Gloria, Fire, Unforgettable Fire Gatefold........and not one of them to be found. Also most of my 12" etc. In fact....id say about 50% of my collection was missing.
Truth be told tho....i wasnt so good at looking after vinyl as a teenager, so most of them was probs wrecked. BUT....i took home what i did find and managed to salvage a handfull of Albums. Its only really albums im interested in collecting now

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
i have about 20 vinyl records and no player.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
cassettes are actually my favorite audio format, but vinyl's cool, too.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »
I've got a Pro-ject Debut III turntable and have tons of vinyl - both 7", 12" and albums. I used to really like the 12" single as an art form (eg Blue Monday by New Order) that sadly seems lost now in this download age. I've got a few rarities - my favourite is probably the Pogues debut single Dark Streets of London. I've got the original version when they were called Pogue Mahone (slightly rude in gaelic) which was quickly deleted when they changed their name to the Pogues.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »
I love vinyls. I started collect them again about 2 years ago. I've got circa 250 records. I'm a fan of The Beatles and U2 (of course). The largest part of my collection from these 2 bands.
I've got on vinyl:
-Boy
-October
-Fire maxi
-War
-New Year's Day maxi
-Under a Blood Red Sky
-TUF
-Pride maxi
-TUF maxi
-Wide Awake in America
-The Joshua Tree
-Rattle and Hum
-Desire single
-Achtung Baby
-Zooropa
-Pop
-U2 18 Singles
-No Line on The Horizon
-Artificial Horizon
Last year I bought a Dual CS 505-4 turntable, with an Ortofon OM10 cartridge. It's a lovely equipment and sounds great.

smee

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
This weekend...i picked up a "near mint" copy of Daniel lanois : Shine album on vinyl. I also bid on his Acadie album, but missed out. Got my eye on another copy

I just been watching vids of peoples collections on youtube. Seems Charity shops may hold some hidden gems for me

smee

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
Managed to get my hands on a "mint" copy of Daniel Lanois Acadie. Next on my hit list is Robert Plant and Alsion Krauss: Raising Sand album

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 06:52:15 AM »
Being a old timer I have a wall of Vinyl all the way back to the 70's. I actually gave away a whole collection when I was a kid that I no longer wanted, all the Beatles etc....How stupid was I.

I have everything U2 put out in Vinyl up to and including the Joshua Tree, after that I just bothered with CDs. I have everything ever released by U2 on CD also. Never giving up this collection.

I have a Stanton USB turntable but honestly these do not compare to the old Turntables you used to be able to get.

Online TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:51:36 AM »
I just got a record player for Christmas and I love it, hoping to build my collection now. I own the following vinyl:

Jimi Hendrix - No Such Animal (Single)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (Single)
U2 - Achtung Baby
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief/The King Of Limbs
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
My Bloody Valentine - Lost Tracks and Rare Cuts (Bootleg)
Neu! - Neu! 86'

smee

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »
Since my last post, I picked up Simon And Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water (plays excellent), cost me 1. I also picked up Robert Plant & Allison Krauss: Raising Sand (NEW) for 13 and finally, Big Country: The Crossing (Mint) for 3.
Hoping to add a couple more alums this week.