Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club  (Read 31583 times)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last year I bought a Dual CS 505-4 turntable, with an Ortofon OM10 cartridge. It's a lovely equipment and sounds great.

Ortofon was top of the line in cartridges back when I sold high-end stereo equipment in the mid-80s.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
I love vinyls. I started collect them again about 2 years ago. I've got circa 250 records. I'm a fan of The Beatles and U2 (of course). The largest part of my collection from these 2 bands.
I've got on vinyl:
-Boy
-October
-Fire maxi
-War
-New Year's Day maxi
-Under a Blood Red Sky
-TUF
-Pride maxi
-TUF maxi
-Wide Awake in America
-The Joshua Tree
-Rattle and Hum
-Desire single
-Achtung Baby
-Zooropa
-Pop
-U2 18 Singles
-No Line on The Horizon
-Artificial Horizon
Last year I bought a Dual CS 505-4 turntable, with an Ortofon OM10 cartridge. It's a lovely equipment and sounds great.
[/quote
I love vinyls. I started collect them again about 2 years ago. I've got circa 250 records. I'm a fan of The Beatles and U2 (of course). The largest part of my collection from these 2 bands.
I've got on vinyl:
-Boy
-October
-Fire maxi
-War
-New Year's Day maxi
-Under a Blood Red Sky
-TUF
-Pride maxi
-TUF maxi
-Wide Awake in America
-The Joshua Tree
-Rattle and Hum
-Desire single
-Achtung Baby
-Zooropa
-Pop
-U2 18 Singles
-No Line on The Horizon
-Artificial Horizon

Ah the Dual CS 505. Brings me back to my teen years, that and the NAD 3020. Classic entry level.

smee

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 05:37:23 AM »
Well....yesterday, ii picked up Iggy Pop Blah Blah Blah and an Average White Band album i took a punt on from a charity shop. (not so taken with the AWB album tho....too middle of the road for me. I got it into my head that they were a blues band!)

And today, My Raising Sand Album arrived, along with my 2008 re-issue of Revolver by The Beatles

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
Finally I got a new deck today. One with some quality to it. I have a new cartridge coming in next week but right out of the box it's fantastic. It's gunna be an all vinyl weekend and I can't wait. Maybe pick up a few new records as well. My collection right now is about 30 or so. Vinyl is just the best listening experience.

smee

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 03:06:17 AM »
Finally I got a new deck today. One with some quality to it. I have a new cartridge coming in next week but right out of the box it's fantastic. It's gunna be an all vinyl weekend and I can't wait. Maybe pick up a few new records as well. My collection right now is about 30 or so. Vinyl is just the best listening experience.
Awh....c'mon.....spill the beans....what deck did you get? What Cartridge have you got on order? I am awaiting my new Ortofon 2M Red cart. I even dreamt about it last night lol.......i watched a vid on youtube, of a guy unpacking his cartridge, and i dreamt near enuff the same thing, in the dream, the cleaning brush even rattled, just like in the guys video lol....mad eh?? ;D

Also....im hoping to make it along to the Record Fair, which is in town tomorrow. I havent been to one since the late 80s. Im hoping there might be a few bargains to be had
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:08:09 AM by Smee »

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »
Awh....c'mon.....spill the beans....what deck did you get? What Cartridge have you got on order? I am awaiting my new Ortofon 2M Red cart. I even dreamt about it last night lol.......i watched a vid on youtube, of a guy unpacking his cartridge, and i dreamt near enuff the same thing, in the dream, the cleaning brush even rattled, just like in the guys video lol....mad eh?? ;D

Also....im hoping to make it along to the Record Fair, which is in town tomorrow. I havent been to one since the late 80s. Im hoping there might be a few bargains to be had

HAHA! I know the feeling. I went simple for now so I don't blow all my money right away. I got the Audio Technica AT LP120 deck and have the Audio Technica AT120E cartridge coming that will hopefully be here on Tuesday and then hopefully next month I can pick up the Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk II phone stage so I don't have to keep using the rinky dink one that's in my Onkyo receiver. Right now out the box the deck has really surprised me on the quality (sound quality and build quality). The cartridge it came with has a little to be desired because it's more of a DJ cartridge but the deck is great. It's a huge upgrade from the cheapo Sony deck that I got for like 40 bucks at a pawn shop a few years ago.

zootv

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »
Stupid question but what makes a deck good as opposed to not so good? I know obviously sound quality, but what do you look for when shopping online? I purchased a Denon deck that has a USB port to convert records to digital. Is Denon considered a good deck? Can I upgrade the stylus? Thanks for any info!

smee

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 04:50:15 AM »
Stupid question but what makes a deck good as opposed to not so good? I know obviously sound quality, but what do you look for when shopping online? I purchased a Denon deck that has a USB port to convert records to digital. Is Denon considered a good deck? Can I upgrade the stylus? Thanks for any info!
I asked about for opinions on Audio Forums before buying my Rega Planar 3 with RB300 tone arm. So many different factors determine what makes a good turntable...but my one seemed to get a good write up. The RB300 arm is highly thought of in among audiofiles.
I put on a brand new Ortofon 2M red cartridge on saturday, which again, gets a very good write up, but i cant hear much difference from the cart that was on previously. Im thinking i needlessly wasted 80 there!

To be honest, if your deck has the USB function, then its not likely to be one of the better record decks out there. That said, if it works for you, then thats all that matters

zootv

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 09:05:17 AM »
Thanks for the info Smee. I listened to several records yesterday and I  really enjoyed them so I guess that's all that matters. I ordered a Billie Holiday record from Amazon yesterday as well.  Theres something very satisfying about spinning a record as opposed to listening to my ipod or a CD.

smee

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 10:21:58 AM »
Thanks for the info Smee. I listened to several records yesterday and I  really enjoyed them so I guess that's all that matters. I ordered a Billie Holiday record from Amazon yesterday as well.  Theres something very satisfying about spinning a record as opposed to listening to my ipod or a CD.

Your not wrong, theres something special about owning/collecting/playing Vinyl.

Thats cool about your Billie Holiday order. Im trying to build up a collection of Jazz, on vinyl now, but the stuff im liking seems to be high priced. If your looking to build a vinyl collection, what i do is, look on ebay now and then....checking what records are  in their last minute or so. You can get some right good bargains there. Also Discogs.com has lots of bargains if you look hard. I find that reconrds dont have to be in MINT condition to be worth owning. VG (Very Good), or VG+ condition seems to be good enuff for me, obviously tho, if you can get mint for cheap...well...go for it.

I myself....unlike the vinyl community on youtube, am not into collecting vinyl just for the hell of it, or to bulk out my collection, im only interested in records i enjoy and will listen to.

Anyhoo....keep us posted if you buy any vinyl, or upgrade your turntable or cartridge or anything :)

zootv

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Thanks Smee, I will. This thread may turn out to be pretty cool  ;).   I too am planning on starting a jazz collection as well as big band. I'm looking to expand my musical horizons and I think that these particular genres are meant to be heard on vinyl.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:39:38 PM by zootv »

smee

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
Thanks Smee, I will. This thread may turn out to be pretty cool  ;).   I too am planning on starting a jazz collection as well as big band. I'm looking to expand my musical horizons and I think that these particular genres are meant to be heard on vinyl.

Great Idea....im liking it. I would also like some classic Blues albums on vinyl also, in my collection.

As i say...keep us posted how its going :)

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »
I agree Smee. I'm not going to buy records for the sake of buying records. I only own stuff that are my top favorite albums and that I truly enjoy. I have to be able to listen to the album in its entirety and not just like two or three songs. I already own enough CDs. I can't make my vinyl collection as big. I don't have that kind of room. But vinyl is no doubt the best way to listen to music at home.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
There are times wen I buy something to have and not necessarily to listen to.

I already had the US Original "Boy", and the remastered one, but yesterday I found a UK version in really good shape. Different cover to the US original one for those who weren't aware. Had to buy it. I then framed it and War put them next to each other on a wall. Looks pretty good if  I say so myself.

zootv

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
At this point I only plan on buying records that I'll actually listen too. That is unless I come across something collectible that I really want. I thought about purchasing the entire U2 catalog on vinyl but right now I just cant justify that. I already own the super and uber deluxe versions of everything. Right now I want to explore different avenues of music and I'm pretty excited to do that with vinyl.