Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club  (Read 28494 times)

Offline jc619er

• Numb
Re: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
I picked up some nice stuff today for really cheap and all in good condition:

War, Joshua Tree and Under a Blood Red Sky
A-ha - Hunting High and Low
Sade - Promise and Stronger Than Pride
Def Leopard - Pyromania

Total price $30

It was a fun day.

smee

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »
Well...i havent bought any vinyl so far this week. Bidded on a few Beatles albums, but lets just say...i was plauged by technical difficulties, so i took that as a sign it wasnt to be.

I think my watch list on ebay is now empty. I have a few Led Zepp vinyls currently residing in my basket on discogs, but i have yet to push the "Checkout" button. I think its Led Zepp II, III and In Thro The Out Door, But they are albums i deffo want, but where possible...id like to get gatefold editions, just for the hell of it :)

Gatefolds are more interesting to me

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
Finally installed my new cartridge, Audio Technica 120e, and I'm very happy. Great improvement over the standard cartridge that I had. It does kind of highlight if your records aren't clean since it gives such a good signal but the sound improvement is so vast I can get over it. Now time to put away for a phono stage so I don't have to use the cheap one built into my receiver. But so far the deck and cartridge have been a great new addition.

smee

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Glad to hear your so happy with your new cartridge :)

Since my last post, I have recieved:

The Jazz Singer SOundtrack: got it for35p :)
Simon & Garfunkels Greatest Hits (1.25)

Next on my hit list are: Led Zeppelin II & III

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
Nice pick ups. I just bought Thriller tonight and Foster the People "Torches". They were new so no amazing prices but two albums I definitely wanted. Thriller probably the best recorded album ever. The mix is impeccable.

By the way how's that Ortofon red working out.

smee

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »
Being honest, Im struggling to hear much difference in the sound quality. By all accounts, the Ortofon 2M red is supposed to be a market leader (in its price range). When i bought the Turntable off ebay, about 3 years ago, the seller said id might want to think about replacing the cart. But....as i was only using it occasionally, the quality sounded fine to me, with the existing Rega cart. It was only because i had saved up some cash, that i decided to replace the cart, but as i say..................

Out of interest, how much are you paying for new vinyl? here in UK, you can pay anything from about 17-30 for a new vinyl, which i find to be pretty steep tbh. They should be looking at lowering the price if they want to shift more units. I fell there is something amiss when i can buy a CD for 7, yet the vinyl equivalent can cost 4 times the price.
Luckily, i dare say most of the vinyl albums i will eventually end up owning, will be available second hand, but even then, I will still be paying over the odds prices for some of them

smee

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
Going back to my impressions of my new cartridge, i think it could well be much louder, as with the old cartridge, i used to have to turn the volume level up quite a lot. Then again, once i compare the "loudness" of the current setting, with a cd, i will know for sure

Just listening to my 1.25 Simon and Garfunkel Greatest hits record, but its a bit crackly and poppy despite it being a clean looking record.. . . which makes me wonder what my 35p Jazz Singer Soundtrack might sound like :P

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »
Yeah new vinyl is not the cheapest. Here they range anywhere from $15 to $30. Last night I paid $17 for Foster the People and $22 for Thriller but that was the double album remaster so I guess that's not too bad.

What's really frustrating is newer records that are only a couple years old resale for ridiculous prices. Like No Line On The Horizon is like $70 bucks resale now. That's horrible.

As for used records it's a crap shoot for what they will sound like. If u by chance have access to a high end stereo store by you they might have a nice record cleaner that you can use for free to clean a few records. Most crazy audiophiles are pretty nice about things like that. If not there's a bunch of YouTube videos that have some interesting home remedy record cleaning solutions that wouldn't hurt to try on a dollar bin record and see if it works. (Like the wood glue one looks really intriguing)

And as for your cartridge that's a bummer. But you have to remember this, you own an amazing deck. Truthfully it's a dream deck for me but far out of my price range right now in life. And so since your deck is so quality the Ortofon red might not be up to the grade of how good your deck is to hear a noticeable difference. My mom owns a Rega P3 as well and her cartridge is like a $500 moving coil Dynavector (a close family friend is a massive audiophile that set her up with that) and that combo is amazing. One of the best deck setups I've heard but I don't have $1,500 bucks laying around to get one. But if anything give it some break in time and maybe it'll start to open up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:08:49 AM by jc619er »

smee

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »
Yeah...they do say that it can take about 40hrs playing time to settle in. Then again....methinks that may well be audiofile talk. They say that about everything.....even cables! Then again...what do i know lol

I share your intrigue at the whole wood glue thing. I might well get round to trying that sometime. It makes sense if you think about it, and does seem to work.
Im forever on youtube...watching ANYTHING to do with turntables, Cleaning records, or watching vids of what everyone has bought lately.

Anyhoo....i went and bought me Led Zeppelin II & III (gatefolds) this afternoon...from discogs. Both are allegedly in VG+ condition, and cost me around 25 for both. So thats my vinyl buying over till i get my next lot of money, in about 10 days (unless i get really tempted) :P

smee

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah...they do say that it can take about 40hrs playing time to settle in. Then again....methinks that may well be audiofile talk. They say that about everything.....even cables! Then again...what do i know lol

I share your intrigue at the whole wood glue thing. I might well get round to trying that sometime. It makes sense if you think about it, and does seem to work.
Im forever on youtube...watching ANYTHING to do with turntables, Cleaning records, or watching vids of what everyone has bought lately.

Anyhoo....i went and bought me Led Zeppelin II & III (gatefolds) this afternoon...from discogs. Both are allegedly in VG+ condition, and cost me around 25 for both. So thats my vinyl buying over till i get my next lot of money, in about 10 days (unless i get really tempted) :P

So....it took all of 30 mins for temptation to be thrown down in front of me :P

Just bought me Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-85 (5 LP set) for the grand price of 7 inc delivery. Way too good a bargain to resist :)

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
HAHA! I know the feeling. It's hard being a junkie. I hit four record stores today in town and picked up:

Sade - Diamond Life for $5
Prince - 1999 in Flawless condition for $18 and a new remaster of Purple Rain for $20
and then a near mint copy of Wide Awake in America for $10.

It's hard to not buy vinyl. It's an addiction for sure.

But man you got a killer deal on that Springsteen boxset. That's too hard to pass up for sure.

And that's funny that you bring up cables because it's true. Different cables all make a difference but I did get this little gem thrown my way a while back and I still haven't put in the money and time to make them but I plan on it someday because it came from my same family friend who is a super audiophile and I trust his word:

I'm definitely doing this some day for speaker cables. I've actually used the cable for my sons room on his little system that I setup for him. I didn't get the banana plugs but just the cable and hooked it up bare ended and it's pretty darn nice. His system sounds great. I find myself sometimes just sitting in his room listening to music and his source is just an iPod.

But I am right there with you in that I'm always watching YouTube videos to see what people do. It's very fascinating and you end up learning some cool little tweaks.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
Oh yeah and my Shure Stylus Force Gauge came in the mail today so I need to fiddle with that tonight.

smee

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
My Led Zepelin II & III albums and my Bruce Springsteen box set arrived from Discogs. I have to say tho, I find myself in disagreement with the seller regarding the state of the cover on Led Zepp II album. He/she had it listed as in VG condition. I would say its pretty tatty, with (for some reason) the top left corner of the cover haven been snipped off for some reason. The cover also has some writing on it and, is generally in shabby condition. BUT, Im not sure i should expect much more for the 8.50 i paid for it, as it was relatively cheap, compared to other copies i have seen sold elsewhere. As long as the vinyl plays well, thats all that matters i guess. Still annoying tho.
I really need to start playing these records as they come in, as i have a mountain of vinyl to check thro, to make sure they play well

zootv

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 09:10:05 AM »
My Billie Holiday arrived last week but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I think tonights gonna be the night ;)

smee

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
My Billie Holiday arrived last week but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I think tonights gonna be the night ;)

I dread to think how many albums i have to to give a spin thro yet. My Springsteen Live box set has 5 albums on its own!