Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club  (Read 28493 times)

Offline jc619er

• Numb
Re: The OFFICIAL Record Deck Owners Club
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok so I have a discogs question Smee. Are the sellers with good ratings pretty legit. And what I'm asking more than anything else is that are their records normally the real deal and not bootlegs. I only ask because I want to get like Zooropa and an original press Achtung Baby and want to make sure I don't get some dumb bootleg repress. Is there something I should look out for on there. Thank you for any info you can supply.

Discogs has a rating system like ebay. So im guessing if a seller would soon rack up a bad rating if they were passing on unsuitable material. Best thing to do is, if you find what you want...message the seller and ask for info. I have done that a few times and the sellers are happy to let you know. Many records have a wee speil about the specifics of that record, so would probably say if it was a re-issue etc. Then again...depends on the seller. Bottom line is, i dont think you will end up with something you dont want :)

Perfect. Thank you for the info. Discogs is definitely the best prices I've found on the newer U2 records so I'm going to have to slowly piece that collection together as extra money comes in. But it's definitely a complete collection I want.

smee

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »
Ok so I have a discogs question Smee. Are the sellers with good ratings pretty legit. And what I'm asking more than anything else is that are their records normally the real deal and not bootlegs. I only ask because I want to get like Zooropa and an original press Achtung Baby and want to make sure I don't get some dumb bootleg repress. Is there something I should look out for on there. Thank you for any info you can supply.

Discogs has a rating system like ebay. So im guessing if a seller would soon rack up a bad rating if they were passing on unsuitable material. Best thing to do is, if you find what you want...message the seller and ask for info. I have done that a few times and the sellers are happy to let you know. Many records have a wee speil about the specifics of that record, so would probably say if it was a re-issue etc. Then again...depends on the seller. Bottom line is, i dont think you will end up with something you dont want :)

Perfect. Thank you for the info. Discogs is definitely the best prices I've found on the newer U2 records so I'm going to have to slowly piece that collection together as extra money comes in. But it's definitely a complete collection I want.
You can get some cracking deals on discogs, its just a matter of keeping checking and not just going for the first copy you see. That sed, For Zooropa, id expect to pay anything from about 25-50, Achtung Baby, probably 20-40. From what i understand, ATYCLB will be even more. Them Three albums are beyond my reach as things stand, but im quite happy to plod along buying ohter stuff. Im currently trying to get my Beatles, Led Zepp and Pink Floyd collections built up, but again...happy to buy additional stuff in the meantime

smee

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »

Man you got such a good deal on that. You have to let me know when it comes in if all was legit and it's the new remaster and everything.

Well, as requested...here i am, to follow up on your post. I can confirm...the my Joshua Tree, 20th Anniversary Reamastered double album, which is unopened, which cost me 5, arrived this morning. By far the best deal i have managed to get in my vinyl buying career. I was a bit sceptical whether it was too good a deal to be true...but now we know. Im delighted!!

Other recent purchases have arrived. 20 Golden Hits by The Beach Boys and The Best Of Buddy Rich. I also picked up a mint copy of the Soundtrack to Flash Gordon by Queen, for 2.20 and i think that all the vinyl for now.
I have gone a bit mad ordering Vinyl, CDs, a FULL Hd webcam and a pair of wellies in the last week....so im sacraficing my vinyl collecting this week, and putting the money toward paying off my credit card :) (arent i sensible :P)

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »

Man you got such a good deal on that. You have to let me know when it comes in if all was legit and it's the new remaster and everything.

Well, as requested...here i am, to follow up on your post. I can confirm...the my Joshua Tree, 20th Anniversary Reamastered double album, which is unopened, which cost me 5, arrived this morning. By far the best deal i have managed to get in my vinyl buying career. I was a bit sceptical whether it was too good a deal to be true...but now we know. Im delighted!!

Other recent purchases have arrived. 20 Golden Hits by The Beach Boys and The Best Of Buddy Rich. I also picked up a mint copy of the Soundtrack to Flash Gordon by Queen, for 2.20 and i think that all the vinyl for now.
I have gone a bit mad ordering Vinyl, CDs, a FULL Hd webcam and a pair of wellies in the last week....so im sacraficing my vinyl collecting this week, and putting the money toward paying off my credit card :) (arent i sensible :P)

I'm so jealous. You really did get an amazing deal. I haven't bought any vinyl since the Uber boxset last week. But that was enough money spent for a month on music. But I'm thinking I'm going to hit some record shops this weekend and see if anything has come in new.

smee

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
I have 25 CDs, A Full HD Webcam and a Vinyl record on route to me as i speak. So im needing to kerb the spending at the mo, especially with it being the Kids School Hols, i usually take them about half the holidays to stay, so i need all my extra money to feed them :)

Apart from u2 JC....who else do you like to collect on vinyl? My holy grail at the mo is (assuming it is available on vinyl) Daniel Lanois: The Omni Series. But cant even get it on cd now, only thro Download via his website....for about 18 ($28)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:03:53 PM by Smee »

zootv

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
I'd love to get U2 three on vinyl. That's my holy grail.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »
I have 25 CDs, A Full HD Webcam and a Vinyl record on route to me as i speak. So im needing to kerb the spending at the mo, especially with it being the Kids School Hols, i usually take them about half the holidays to stay, so i need all my extra money to feed them :)

Apart from u2 JC....who else do you like to collect on vinyl? My holy grail at the mo is (assuming it is available on vinyl) Daniel Lanois: The Omni Series. But cant even get it on cd now, only thro Download via his website....for about 18 ($28)

U2 being my favorite group that will be the only artist that I get their entire collection on vinyl. For everything else I just want to get my all time favorite albums. So there's a few Depeche Mode albums I want, Cure albums, some MJ, Maxwell's second album, Sade "Love Deluxe", a few more of Prince's early albums. Things like that. I have all the Fleetwood Mac albums and Police albums that I want. I have some of Big Country's but need a few more. I'd say I probably have about 20 or 30 albums that I truly want. But at the same time I'm building up my collection I'm still upgrading my turntable and system as well. I want to get a nice phono stage and a new power cord for my deck and then mod it by taking out the USB circuit board so it's phono only. So it's a process that's slow moving but it's fun as each upgrade happens.

smee

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »
Thats a good ploy jc169er. Having watched tons of vids on youtube about record collecting, most seem to turn it into a pi**ing competition and will buy absoutely anything just to bump their collection up. I only want quality in mine. Im always up for exploring new music, but right now....im devoid of inspiration as to what to buy next. I really want Beatles and Pink Floyd vinyl (and u2) but most of what i need is exthortionately priced. and being a man of principle...i dont think i could ever spend more than 25 on one record, regardless of who it is by....unless theres a dramatic change in my financial situation

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
Thats a good ploy jc169er. Having watched tons of vids on youtube about record collecting, most seem to turn it into a pi**ing competition and will buy absoutely anything just to bump their collection up. I only want quality in mine. Im always up for exploring new music, but right now....im devoid of inspiration as to what to buy next. I really want Beatles and Pink Floyd vinyl (and u2) but most of what i need is exthortionately priced. and being a man of principle...i dont think i could ever spend more than 25 on one record, regardless of who it is by....unless theres a dramatic change in my financial situation

Believe me I know what you mean. All those newer U2 records are really damn expensive but they are my favorite group that much that I will spend it eventually. I just have to space it out. If not I could spend a monthly house payment on just getting their collection right now.

But I don't have that much planned today so I think I might hit a record shop or two. Also I'm gunna do some tinkering with my home stereo system as well and catch up on listening to the records I've purchased in the last month. Should be an all around fun day.

smee

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
Ah....saturday.....seems to be the ULTIMATE day to go sifting thro vinyl at your nearest record shops. It just sounds the right thing to do.
And hey....Im not about to knock you for paying whatever price you see fit for your u2 vinyl. A)its your life and B) theres far worse things you could be doing with your cash....so i say GO FOR IT  ;)
If i see a good deal on u2 vinyl, i will go for it myself. I think the average Achtung Baby vinyl may be reachable, within my financial constraints, but think id have to stumble across someone with no clue as to records if im to be able to pick up 2000s vinyl or Zooropa and not forgetting OST1. Hopefully i have many many decades of vinyl collecting ahead of me...so its a matter of playing the waiting game.
I myself, I have picked up 3 vinyl albums this week. One Kind of Fits into my collection, as its by Queen. One record is something i wanted to pick up over many years, just never got round to it, but stumbled acorss it for 2.50 (double album), and that albums is War Of The Worlds Sountrack. And finally....i took a punt on a Jazz album which only cost 3 inc delivery. So thats me pretty much done for the next two weeks.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
Collecting for the sake of it is silly. I could just go into my local shop buy everything in the 99c rack and have a massive collection. The fun i sin buying something you will listen to that is in good condition. Finding a used crappy condition "Farewell to kings" is easy. Finding a good condition "Presto", not so much. Makes my $4 find of the original AB in good condition seem all the sweeter.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »
Well I had a good record store day. Here's my pick ups for today that totaled $40.

Depeche Mode - People Are People
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Creedance Clearwater Revival - Greatest Hits
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun
U2 - Discoteque 12" single

And then my one stab at a $2 record was Hooters - Nervous Night. "And We Danced" is one of my favorite 80's songs and I've never heard anything else from them so I figured I'd give it a shot at 2 bucks. So we'll see how that goes. Other then that it was a great day.

smee

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
Well I had a good record store day. Here's my pick ups for today that totaled $40.

And then my one stab at a $2 record was Hooters - Nervous Night. "And We Danced" is one of my favorite 80's songs and I've never heard anything else from them so I figured I'd give it a shot at 2 bucks. So we'll see how that goes. Other then that it was a great day.
Im really not fussed about owning 7" and 12" records in ggeneral. That sed, i think at this stage, There are TWO acts i would like to collect as much as possible of, and that is U2 and James. I used to have a healthy collection of u2 singles, both 7 and 12" but  my collection has mysteriously disappeared during the 20 yrs that it resided at my parents house. There was some decent stuff in there, Original singles, like A Celebration, Gloria, Unforgettable fire Gatefold, stuff like that....nothing that cant be replaced i guess, but it would just be nice if i still had the collection

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »

Im really not fussed about owning 7" and 12" records in ggeneral. That sed, i think at this stage, There are TWO acts i would like to collect as much as possible of, and that is U2 and James. I used to have a healthy collection of u2 singles, both 7 and 12" but  my collection has mysteriously disappeared during the 20 yrs that it resided at my parents house. There was some decent stuff in there, Original singles, like A Celebration, Gloria, Unforgettable fire Gatefold, stuff like that....nothing that cant be replaced i guess, but it would just be nice if i still had the collection

Yeah I have like five or six U2 12" singles. It's nice to have b-sides and remixes on vinyl. The Discoteque club mix sounded fantastic last night on vinyl. The bass was nice and loud and tight. I've always loved that mix of the song.

My favorite 12" that I own is Where The Steets Have No Name import because it has the alternate single version of the song which isn't much different but it has this awesome backing vocal track during the chorus that just makes all the difference. For years I wanted it to come out on CD and it finally did with the Joshua Tree remaster as one of the b-sides. Just so I could listen to it more often and not wear out my vinyl. I always wished they'd left the backing track on the album version.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:41:59 AM by jc619er »

smee

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
I stopped collecting u2 single release vinyl after Rattle and Hum. I HAD pretty much everything on vinyl up to that point. I remember i did buy ONE single after that period...and that was the HMTMKMKM 7" Red Vinynl single. All the singles i collected after Rattle and Hum was all on CD...up until ATYCLB when i pretty much gave up collecting singles releases.

I was just talking to my dad on the phone...quizing him as to the whereabouts of my missing vinyl, but he hasnt got a clue where it may be. :( I just want my U2 vinyl, My Beatles White Album, and any other cool albums i have forgotten about