Author Topic: the new keane album, strangeland  (Read 481 times)

Offline miami

• Child of Grace
  • here comes the car chase!
the new keane album, strangeland
« on: June 02, 2012, 03:48:29 AM »
i must admit, keane are one of my 'guilty pleasure' bands. some of their song-writing is astounding and the piano scores exhilarating.

the new album is fantastic, with 'disconnected', the 'starting line' and 'day will come' being the stand-outs for me.

i find my love of their music strange because they write a lot of what may be termed middle of the road stuff, and i didn't warm to u2 when they did this with atyclb and htdaab. keane just seem to do it a lot better without making their music ever sound throwaway, cheap or manufactured.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
Re: the new keane album, strangeland
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »
Went watching Keane on Wednesday at Manchester Apollo . the new songs sounded great live . Tom Chaplin's voice was beautiful . A guilty pleasure for me too. Great music to chill to . Strangeland is a brilliant album would recommend it to anyone.
Enjoy the guilt Miami :)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
They're a fantastic band. I've been listening to the new album all week and it just keeps getting better and better. I'm loving On the Road, Disconnected, The Starting Line, and Neon River to name a few.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »
It really is an amazing album made by an amazing band! Disconnected, Sovereign Light Café, Black Rain and Neon River are the stand out tracks for me at the moment.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »
I adore their With Or Without You cover

Offline Zoonationalist

• Refugee
  • www.themarinerwritings.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Resurrecting this old thread, as I just started listening to this band, and this album in particular.

REALLY enjoying it so far. As someone mentioned earlier (last year), it really IS "middle of the road" stuff...but it's done well. Anyone else listen to this band still, or am I late to the party?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Resurrecting this old thread, as I just started listening to this band, and this album in particular.

REALLY enjoying it so far. As someone mentioned earlier (last year), it really IS "middle of the road" stuff...but it's done well. Anyone else listen to this band still, or am I late to the party?

Nope! There are still plenty of fans out there, myself included. Apparently they were here in Dallas a few days ago and I missed them. :(

If you get a chance, be sure to check out their Keane Live DVD. It's brilliant!

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
I like their singles well enough, but the only album of theirs I really loved was Perfect Symmetry, because of the awesome 80s vibe

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
I like their singles well enough, but the only album of theirs I really loved was Perfect Symmetry, because of the awesome 80s vibe

Perfect Symmetry was great. I know a lot of fans rag on it for being different but I thought they did an amazing job of blending their piano-pop sound with a more electronic/80's feel. The only work of theirs I'm not crazy about is the Night Train EP. Aside from a couple of tracks it's just over-indulgent and a bit too silly.

Offline seashells

• Numb
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:20:52 AM »
I listen to Keane everyday.  They shuffle in my yoga playlist.  I tried to copy this in from the Concerts of 2013 thread.  You can watch the entire Austin concert on line. 

Quote from: julsport on January 14, 2013, 12:53:01 PM
Seeing Keane on Thursday..excited!! Morrissey is next month and SXSW in March...music heaven!
Let us know how the Keane concert was.  I really listen to Keane a lot.  I looked at the tour schedule; they're not touring close enough to go.  Have fun!

Show was brilliant!!! Wanted more...it was filmed live and was streamed from ACL Live by CBS...check it out!!! Fantastic show.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:48:29 PM by julsport »

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »
I like some of their songs alright, but I always have a problem with bands that don't use a single guitar. Piano rock always feels like something is missing. I guess I just love guitar sounds too much.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
I like some of their songs alright, but I always have a problem with bands that don't use a single guitar. Piano rock always feels like something is missing. I guess I just love guitar sounds too much.

I actually think that's part of what makes their sound so unique and interesting, although they've incorporated small doses of guitar into their later work. Perfect Symmetry had some guitar running through it.