Author Topic: Battle Born  (Read 84098 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Battle Born
« Reply #510 on: October 13, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is it just me or is Brandon Flowers' voice just too annoying? I used to like the Killers, but the sound of his singing has just taken it's toll over the years. It's not soothing at all..way too whiny all the time.

I agree. I think he sounds terrible on All These Things I've Done. I haven't paid any attention to them since that song. Ugh. 

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
Is it just me or is Brandon Flowers' voice just too annoying? I used to like the Killers, but the sound of his singing has just taken it's toll over the years. It's not soothing at all..way too whiny all the time.

Really? I'd argue that his singing voice has gotten much, MUCH better since Hot Fuss.

The Grave

« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »

Really? I'd argue that his singing voice has gotten much, MUCH better since Hot Fuss.
this

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #513 on: October 14, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
It's not a matter of it improving or nor. His voice is a distinctive one so if you don't like it, you're probably never going to.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #514 on: October 14, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Brandon's voice has always been unique and I think it sounds better than ever on this album. He shines through on every track and really demonstrates what he can do vocally.

As for rankings, this is my current list:

1. A Matter of Time
2. Be Still
3. Flesh and Bone
4. The Way It Was
5. Runaways
6. Battle Born
7. Here With Me
8. From Here on Out
9. Miss Atomic Bomb
10. Deadlines and Commitments
11. The Rising Tide
12. Heart of a Girl

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2012, 01:00:53 AM »
It's not a matter of it improving or nor. His voice is a distinctive one so if you don't like it, you're probably never going to.

I have all The Killers stuff - seen then several times in concert etc. I have struggled with his vocals on this album - in the car it doesn't sound good (his vocals are too prominent - could be my car stereo of course) It does sound better on the computer.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2012, 06:07:11 AM »

I have all The Killers stuff - seen then several times in concert etc. I have struggled with his vocals on this album - in the car it doesn't sound good (his vocals are too prominent - could be my car stereo of course) It does sound better on the computer.

I'm not sure that his voice itself has changed a great deal. He's definitely singing in a higher register and he's doing a LOT of oversinging on this album. It's to me a metaphor for the whole album... just sounds too forced, contrived and unnatural.

It's not really setting the world on fire in the mainstream either...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »
i'd compare this to ATYCLB too, in regards to a long break then a "sorry about that last album......" "return to form" style of mediocrity.

and yea, who even knows this album is out? i hear runaways sometimes, i only know 1 guy thats heard it and he hates it. but only the only Killers he really likes is the first half of HF
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:15:09 AM by DS -the JuJu Man himself- »

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2012, 12:25:21 AM »
So The Killers performed on The Colbert Report tonight.  My girlfriend and I went to the taping.

The Killers were INCREDIBLE.  Brandon and Ronnie had a sit-down interview with Colbert before they played, and Ronnie was pretty funny while Brandon was shy but funny too.

Next, they played Miss Atomic Bomb.  Us and these two girls next to us in the second row, about 8 feet from the band, were standing up and singing the entire time so Brandon gave us a lot of eye contact and smiles throughout the song. Aside from us four, there were a few other younger people standing up and singing throughout the mostly middle aged audience.  I thought Brandon's voice sounded great, and so did the song.  Miss Atomic Bomb was the only song played for broadcast.

Next, Stephen Colbert (killing some downtime between the taping of segments) came on stage and had a funny exchange about being able to play the Star Spangled Banner on the bass, which resulted in Colbert and Brandon singing the national anthem acapella.  Pretty good stuff.

Last, The Killers performed All These Things That I've Done for just us, the studio audience.  Brandon yelled for everyone to get on their feet early into the song, and that's what everyone did.  During the "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" lines, EVERYONE was singing and much more people seemed familiar with the song.  All in all, a great performance!  :)

And as we were leaving, Ronnie was standing next to the stage and as the crowd was filing out, I walked over and talked to him for a few minutes.  The final project for the music class I'm in at my university is interviewing and writing a profile about a musician, so I asked if I could interview the band when they come back to New York in mid-December, and to my surprise, Ronnie said absolutely!  He said I had to go through the proper channels, like management and their booking people, but I am encouraged nonetheless. 

Here's the picture I got with him outside the studio!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Grave

« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »
so jealous Soapy!!!!

and if you DO get that interview. you should really try tell them to come to Atlanta  ;)

PartyMarty23

« Reply #520 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
That's awesome!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #521 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
U2OAP - what, did you wake Vanucci up for that photo or something? ha!

lucky guy you are

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #522 on: October 19, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
You look so happy! :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #523 on: October 19, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
I know that I'd have looked a lot happier meeting the legendary OAP.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #524 on: October 19, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
OAP, where were you sitting in Colbert's audience? I want to see if I can make you out in the crowd shots. :D