Author Topic: What's your favorite U2 tour and why?  (Read 4828 times)

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
Re: What's your favorite U2 tour and why?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
I know I'm in the minority but Popmart is my favorite. I've only attended Vertigo and 360, though.
Very unique visual experience, The boxing match intro, The Lemon, Discotheque.. ah.. love it.

Offline shorne

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
Zoo TV... hands down because it was so DIFFERENT from the Joshua Tree and it just blew my mind. The songs, the visuals, the freshness... it may very well be the first and last HUGE departure from the "norm" by a band that also worked exceedingly well.  We may NEVER see the likes of this again. Think about it.  This doesn't mean their subsequent tours will not be good, it's just that the Zoo TV tour was perfect in its timing and execution with the end of the Cold War, the election of Bill Clinton, the Rock the Vote campaign and just the freshness of the music.  It was a heady time indeed.  I miss it... yet I still have my arms wide open to the future... yet I LOVE this period.  Please, give us a Zoo TV Outside Broadcast DVD / BluRay release.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
This is easy. Zoo TV.

There are 10 reasons:

1. Amazing Intro
2. Pranking George HW Bush every night!
3. Zoo TV Live from Sydney
4. Edges wife Morleigh belly dancing on stage
5. Love is Blindness
6. Touring Two new albums with two sets of new material
7. It didn't win any awards so it had street cred
8. U2 reinvented themselves when the other big 80's bands had failed.
9. MacPhisto
10. U2 dominating the world airwaves from Sydney, "going live to the planet tonight so lets hope this sh1t works". What band has had their entire 2-hour concert on prime-time TV across the whole of western civilization since?

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
20th anniversary of Sydney is coming up, so I expect a DVD release, maybe with additional unseen footage and a montage of prank calls from toher concert shows. The only weakness of the Sydney show was that the prank call was to a taxi company, not the white house!!

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »
Zoo TV was the height of artistry.

First, the idea of traveling with a TV station was and is to this day completely mental. 

Second, consistency.  For the most part the U2 set didn't change.  They were supremely confident in their shows.  If you listen back to the first zoo tv show to the last, they just got better and better.

Third- Achtung Baby was so different and so fresh. To play those songs for the first time live?  Forget about it! 

The set list logic flowed well, they rocked, they danced through that show. I also believe they had fun as well.  They didnt take themselves so seriously!