Author Topic: another week, another mass shooting in the USA  (Read 13468 times)

Offline AJ

• Desert Rose
  • Vinyl Guru
Re: another week, another mass shooting in the USA
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
My school just called saying they got a number of violent threats for this thursday and friday but they have investigated them all with the police and they will have extra police at the school all day investigating and stopping any threats. It seems like a lot of schools all across the nation have experienced this though. :-\ Makes me a little nervous about attending the next couple days but I have a load of tests that I don't want to make up after the 2 week break we have.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:10:29 PM by AJ123 »

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Maximus and Hyper, I have a question.

Do you think that a civilian should have access to military grade weapons? 

Thanks in advance.  I won't judge your answers.  I just want to know where folks stand on this topic.

My take is no.

Only a hand gun which can only fire a couple of bullets for self protection or a rifle used for deer hunting.  After of course, a complete background check.

I agree 100% with you. A handgun that can fire a few bullets or an old fashioned rifle is all that is needed for self protection. But I highly doubt either of them will give you a direct yes or no answer.

Don't you read my posts???????

I have stated several times I have no problem with an assault weapons ban. since you haven't I will refresh your memory

So lets not look only at guns we need to look at our society in general. Do we need to ban assault rifles-yes.

I could buy off on banning assault rifles (because they serve no real purpose, either for hunting or home protection),

Typical MOJO spin. Guns aren't the problem society is the problem. We live in culture that devalues life...this is what you get. Switzerland is the most armed nation in the world and they don't have the problems we do. That being said. There is very little use for assault rifles for home protection, in fact they shouldn't be used for home protection as they penetrate walls and could hurt the people you are trying to protect. A shotgun and a 9mm Pistol is a much better choice (as well as a guard dog)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »

Thanks in advance.  I won't judge your answers.  I just want to know where folks stand on this topic.

My take is no.

Only a hand gun which can only fire a couple of bullets for self protection or a rifle used for deer hunting.  After of course, a complete background check.

I agree 100% with you. A handgun that can fire a few bullets or an old fashioned rifle is all that is needed for self protection. But I highly doubt either of them will give you a direct yes or no answer.

I have stated several times I have no problem with an assault weapons ban. since you haven't I will refresh your memory

So lets not look only at guns we need to look at our society in general. Do we need to ban assault rifles-yes.

I could buy off on banning assault rifles (because they serve no real purpose, either for hunting or home protection),

Typical MOJO spin. Guns aren't the problem society is the problem. We live in culture that devalues life...this is what you get. Switzerland is the most armed nation in the world and they don't have the problems we do. That being said. There is very little use for assault rifles for home protection, in fact they shouldn't be used for home protection as they penetrate walls and could hurt the people you are trying to protect. A shotgun and a 9mm Pistol is a much better choice (as well as a guard dog)

Thanks Max for your reply.

I have read your post.  I'm sorry that a couple of them were a bit confusing to me and I agree, there has to be much better Mental Health services in the U.S.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:18:13 PM by Inishfree »

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
if people are so worried about protection perhaps they should subsidise free swaps of hand guns for tasers.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

My take is no.

fair enough. you're right, i should have looked closer at your posts.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »
I find it rather odd how a large number of the population's idea to protect themselves better after hearing about this... is to purchase a gun.

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • Free yourself to be yourself.
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
Gun Crimes are the symptoms not the disease. I would ask is it more tragic that 26 people die at once or is it more tragic that 27 people are stabbed in say Manchester-a death is a death and just because it happens all at once it is more horrific, not more tragic, just more news worthy.

In assaults involving force, sexual incidents, burglary and motor vehicle thefts, Australia ranked highest of all countries surveyed

Since it is apparent that Aussies don't know how to use there tallywackers should we ban them?

Anyway you know I was being silly, but I am making a larger point there is a problem in society, what is causing the rash of copy cat massacres. What is wrong with our youth, I don't know

This report was published in June 1990, 6 years prior to the Port Arthur massacre which initiated the tight gun control laws we now have in Australia, kinda makes it invalid to the gun control debate unless you can provide updated statistics for comparison pre/post control laws.

oh man, i didnt even see the date. classic maximus.

THE UN DATA is a lot more recent

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread from the start and some of your links are confusing, what UN data are you referring to?

Offline AliSPNfan

• Numb
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
I find it rather odd how a large number of the population's idea to protect themselves better after hearing about this... is to purchase a gun

Not so odd......shoot the crazy before the crazy shoots you or wait 20 minutes, unarmed & in a gun free zone, for help to arrive.No thanks.

Joe Biden in charge of gun task force? You can't make this up  :-[

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
Some interesting topics:

Crime Statistics > Rapes (per capita)(most recent) by country
VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita
Definition Source Printable version

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount (top to bottom)
#1 South Africa: 1.19538 per 1,000 people
#2 Seychelles: 0.788294 per 1,000 people
#3 Australia: 0.777999 per 1,000 people

Assaults per C

Rank      Countries     Amount
# 1   Saint Kitts and Nevis:    3%   
# 2    United Kingdom:    2.8%     
= 3   New Zealand:    2.4%     
= 3   Australia:    2.4%
# 5   Canada:    2.3%     
# 6   Finland:    2.1%
= 7   France:    1.4%     
= 7   Denmark: 1.4%     
= 9   Sweden:    1.2%     
= 9   United States:    1.2%     
= 9   Belgium:    1.2%     
Assault victims by country", UNICRI (United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute). Correspondence on data on crime victims. March. Turin.

So when an Aussie tells me I need to ban my weapon, I think they should ban their "guns"

this is what he's talking about. is topix an official UN website? doesnt look like the greatest source and no date.

btw just read this (i stopped previously as it was irrelevant to my question - you have to learn to do this skill when asking questions.)

A lot of my fellow offices (when stationed in Korea) would go down to Australia when on leave. The comment was it was very easy to meet girls there because they liked Americans, because one we were a lot nicer to them than Australians, two we weren't going to rape them, three there wasn't a whole lot of competition because Aus has a lot of homosexuals.

this actually made me laugh out loud. so these women are having trouble finding a man to root them because they're all gay but when they do find one he rapes them? well it must be true if they heard it from women wanting to pick up army personnel on leave. i dare say its not really the cream of our women they're associating with there, though i'm surprised you've gone ahead and subscribed to that line of logic without question (maybe not).

i'd also recommend you're friends check a bit more carefully which bars they are going into if they are finding the amount of homosexuals impacting the competition for "women"

and then theres this

A lot of my fellow offices (when stationed in Korea) would go down to Australia when on leave. The comment was it was very easy to meet girls there because they liked Americans, because one we were a lot nicer to them than Australians, two we weren't going to rape them, three there wasn't a whole lot of competition because Aus has a lot of homosexuals. Just what my friends told me. (I have never been there) However we did have Australian officers in my officer training class, and they were extremely aggressive with our female officers to a point where our females were told to stay away from them and do not drink with them. The Brits were fine, as were the other foreign officers. However I know for a fact that an Australian major was sent home for sexual misconduct/harassment.

in your desperation to lash out at australia you have actually stumbled onto some truth there. our army has recently had a lot of sexual misconduct problems exposed and they are having difficulty getting it to meet the standards of the rest of our society.  its an issue worth discussing though not relevant here, perhaps you could start a new thread?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:46:01 PM by soapit »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
I find it rather odd how a large number of the population's idea to protect themselves better after hearing about this... is to purchase a gun

Not so odd......shoot the crazy before the crazy shoots you or wait 20 minutes, unarmed & in a gun free zone, for help to arrive.No thanks.

Joe Biden in charge of gun task force? You can't make this up  :-[

What you can't make up is " more guns" as a solution to gun violence.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »
if people are so worried about protection perhaps they should subsidise free swaps of hand guns for tasers.

That is what I would prefer and pepper spray.  I have never used a firearm and God forbid, in a life threatening situation.  I would want to escape without killing.  Rather have the police arrest them. 

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »
Some interesting topics:

Crime Statistics > Rapes (per capita)(most recent) by country
VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita
Definition Source Printable version

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount (top to bottom)
#1 South Africa: 1.19538 per 1,000 people
#2 Seychelles: 0.788294 per 1,000 people
#3 Australia: 0.777999 per 1,000 people

Assaults per C

Rank      Countries     Amount
# 1   Saint Kitts and Nevis:    3%   
# 2    United Kingdom:    2.8%     
= 3   New Zealand:    2.4%     
= 3   Australia:    2.4%
# 5   Canada:    2.3%     
# 6   Finland:    2.1%
= 7   France:    1.4%     
= 7   Denmark: 1.4%     
= 9   Sweden:    1.2%     
= 9   United States:    1.2%     
= 9   Belgium:    1.2%     
Assault victims by country", UNICRI (United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute). Correspondence on data on crime victims. March. Turin.

So when an Aussie tells me I need to ban my weapon, I think they should ban their "guns"

this is what he's talking about. is topix an official UN website? doesnt look like the greatest source and no date.

btw just read this (i stopped previously as it was irrelevant to my question - you have to learn to do this skill when asking questions.)

A lot of my fellow offices (when stationed in Korea) would go down to Australia when on leave. The comment was it was very easy to meet girls there because they liked Americans, because one we were a lot nicer to them than Australians, two we weren't going to rape them, three there wasn't a whole lot of competition because Aus has a lot of homosexuals.

this actually made me laugh out loud. so these women are having trouble finding a man to root them because they're all gay but when they do find one he rapes them? well it must be true if they heard it from women wanting to pick up army personnel on leave. i dare say its not really the cream of our women they're associating with there, though i'm surprised you've gone ahead and subscribed to that line of logic without question (maybe not).

i'd also recommend you're friends check a bit more carefully which bars they are going into if they are finding the amount of homosexuals impacting the competition for "women"

and then theres this

A lot of my fellow offices (when stationed in Korea) would go down to Australia when on leave. The comment was it was very easy to meet girls there because they liked Americans, because one we were a lot nicer to them than Australians, two we weren't going to rape them, three there wasn't a whole lot of competition because Aus has a lot of homosexuals. Just what my friends told me. (I have never been there) However we did have Australian officers in my officer training class, and they were extremely aggressive with our female officers to a point where our females were told to stay away from them and do not drink with them. The Brits were fine, as were the other foreign officers. However I know for a fact that an Australian major was sent home for sexual misconduct/harassment.

in your desperation to lash out at australia you have actually stumbled onto some truth there. our army has recently had a lot of sexual misconduct problems exposed and they are having difficulty getting it to meet the standards of the rest of our society.  its an issue worth discussing though not relevant here, perhaps you could start a new thread?

Maximus,

The comments about Austrailian men is a "stereotype."  Mind you, I have never heard of this.

One........all nations have nice people. 
Two........there are deviants (rapist, child molesters) in every country.
Three.........largely populated countries will have more gay and lesbian folks.  Than a sparse population.  It is a percentage of the total.   Around ten to fifteen percent.

Offline AliSPNfan

• Numb
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
What you can't make up is " more guns" as a solution to gun violence

Well, more laws won't stop criminals and will only take guns away from responsible people.Look at Chicago, where the gun violence is being ignored by everybody, including Obama.The murder rate will top 500 this year and the media won't report on that because Chicago is run by Democrats.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
What you can't make up is " more guns" as a solution to gun violence

Well, more laws won't stop criminals and will only take guns away from responsible people.Look at Chicago, where the gun violence is being ignored by everybody, including Obama.The murder rate will top 500 this year and the media won't report on that because Chicago is run by Democrats.

More laws will NOT take away guns from responsible people.

Responsible people have no need for assault weapons or AK-47s.

Gangbanger-on-gangbanger violence won't e affected by bans on assault rifles.

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
Australia... We're all FABULOUS down under, darling.