Author Topic: What is U2s Worst Show?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: What is U2s Worst Show?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:30:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The worst show? No show is perfect - it all comes down to the band, the sound, the technical elements, the crowd, your experience. My worst show was the 2009 Wembley#1, because of the crowd being aggressive, angry, very unfriendly, and talking loudly very near the stage. But from a pure performance level, some of the early PopMart shows were sloppy and some of the late 1993 shows were a band on near exhausted autopilot.

Wembley #1?!?! I was there, great show, amazing version of Bad.

Offline markreed

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »
Wembley #1 was "Bad"-less. :(

HyperU2

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 06:00:27 AM »
Any show I couldn't attend.

Offline xy

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Obviously Sarajevo, if vocals are to be considered.

Say what you want about Bono's voice on the last three tours, there hasn't been a time when Edge had to completely step into his shoes, such as that night.

I expect The Exile to be along soon to tell you that he was at the Sarajevo show and it was difficult to tell that Bono's voice had gone.  I was listening to it live on the radio and although it was clear his voice went during LNOE, it seemed to recover a bit later on, so that by the end of the show his voice didn't sound much worse than usual.  At least that's how I felt about it.  Bono's voice problems aside, I thought it was a good show made all the more memorable by how significant a show it was for U2.  Clearly it was an emotional night for the band and they weren't going to let Bono's voice going ruin it for them or the crowd, and really, I don't think it did.  They actually performed Miss Sarajevo in SARAJEVO, I mean how cool was that.  Great comments by Bono during the show as well.

I heard the bootleg several times. It's really not hard to tell his voice is gone - not just "hoarse/gone" like at times on the 00's tours, gone as in Edge had to completely cover for him on Pride and play SBS on his own. That whole stretch Pride-I still haven't found/AIWI might be the absolute worst I've ever heard Bono sing.

Like I said, if we consider vocals.

Offline shorne

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »
Popmart Vancouver... horrible sound and Bono.... BALD!!!! It was so distracting!

Offline markreed

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
You listen to the haircut?

Offline shorne

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »
It was BC Place... terrible sound is a given. The bladness was just the icing on the cake.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Popmart Vancouver... horrible sound and Bono.... BALD!!!! It was so distracting!

I was front row a few feet from the Edge at that show! From the floor the sound was fine, but back then BC Place had horrible sound the further back you were. For the 1st Zoo TV BC Place show I was right at the top of the stadium and when they played Desire I had to ask my friend what song they were playing, the sound just bounces off the wall which was right behind me.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
What happened in Vegas for PopMart???

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »
What happened in Vegas for PopMart???

An ill-prepared U2 took the stage apparently. They didn't get enough time to rehearse the songs from Pop, and this resulted in very poor performances of said songs. Staring at the Sun had to be repeated and started over midway on the first try.

Offline shorne

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 04:47:26 AM »
So spinal tap!

HyperU2

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 12:40:44 AM »
Well it's not often you get to go to a jam session with a 150 foot television screen, lucky Vegas bastards.

Offline Cam501

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
Worst show I saw personally was in Atlanta during the tour for Elevation.  I went to both Atlanta shows, the 1st being one of the first 5 shows of the tour and the second being in the final leg and Bono basically admitted they were hungover from an end of tour party.  Worst shows I've heard is tough. Popmart Saraejavo (sp) sounds awful with him losing his voice.  Popmart Nuremburg is pretty rough.  Zoo TV Tokyo 12/10/93 is awful once you get past One as well.  And one last one that may get some flack and though not one of the worst overall, but with a couple terrible performances is the RDS 8/28/93 show. Overall it's decent but the vocals on WOWY and Desire are TERRIBLE!

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »
Worst, or rather least enjoyable show I've seen is the 2nd Melbourne vertigo show.

This surprises many who went to both as the set list was good, they played 'the first time' and closed with bad, but I was up in the stands, miles away, with a crowd who were completely not up for it.

I'd been to GA or on the floor for ever u2 show I'd seen and this just convinced me that whilst stadium gigs from the front are fine, stadium gigs from further back suck the proverbial.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 05:27:45 AM »
Worst, or rather least enjoyable show I've seen is the 2nd Melbourne vertigo show.

This surprises many who went to both as the set list was good, they played 'the first time' and closed with bad, but I was up in the stands, miles away, with a crowd who were completely not up for it.

I'd been to GA or on the floor for ever u2 show I'd seen and this just convinced me that whilst stadium gigs from the front are fine, stadium gigs from further back suck the proverbial.

Totally agree on the last point. I was further back in the stands at the first U2 concert I went to, and the lack of energy in the crowd really brought the experience down. They played a bunch of NLOTH songs, TUF, Ultraviolet, and Your Blue Room, all of which really excited me as a fan but the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd really sucked all the life out of it.