Author Topic: 2012/2013 English Premier League  (Read 14471 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: 2012/2013 English Premier League
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you took Suarez out they've got no other striker so yeah...... chances are they'd struggle and fair play to Suarez.

Shame his teammates don't appreciate his contributions more. ;D

Oh that one man show (Suarez? Reina? Gerrard? Kingston?) that just got a deserved point away to the Champions of Europe and had 3 stolen off them at Goodison. Stevie G past his best? Yes, but he'd still waltz into the Everton team and be Captain/Assistant Manager within 6 minutes. Anyone from Everton's recent history compare with the current Liverpool skipper? Southhall's probably the closest.

Everton couldn't afford Gerrard's wages, or Suarez', let alone the £120,000 per week they're paying Joe Cole. ;D   Everton are a financially responsible club.  And Neville Southall, now that was a keeper- Pepe Reina couldn't hold a candle to our Nev. 8)

So glad to see Villa looking like a team again, yes we lost but it was a hell of a game - all anyone outside the top 6 can ask for really.

A team in 17th place. :'(

I think they appreciate him just fine, they thought they could win (and should of) and wanted to get on with it.

Aaaw poor Everton with a team chock full of internationals and one of the top 10 biggest wage bills in the league, how on earth does Moyes continue to keep them scrapping on the verge of the Europa League I'll never know.

Southall was a great keeper. Shame the move to Utd fell through for him.

Do you think Moyes' first ever trophy in English football will come at Everton?

Castles made of sand - enjoy it while you can.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:05:25 AM by Bads316 »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
Aaaw poor Everton with a team chock full of internationals and one of the top 10 biggest wage bills in the league, how on earth does Moyes continue to keep them scrapping on the verge of the Europa League I'll never know.

There's a world of difference between the 10th biggest wage bill in the premiership and the 4th.  Everton have always gotten more bang for their buck than Liverpool.  All that money spent at Liverpool and no league title for over 20 years.  It breaks my heart for Stevie G. :'(  Shame the move to Chelsea fell through for him - he clearly prefers to be a big fish in pond life.

I'll wager that Moyes' first trophy will come before Brendan Rodgers' first trophy, whether at Everton or Man Utd.  Actually, I'd also bet that Moyes is still the Everton coach after Brendan's been sent packing by Liverpool's Yankee owners, with a hefty pay-off to rival Rafa's, Houllier's and King Kenny's.  You see, Everton believe in continuity. ;)

Castles built on a solid, well built team, with a modest budget. :)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »
Let's see if I have this right. The argument against Liverpool here is "Yeah if it wasn't for the fact that they have a great player they wouldn't be as good as they are" ?

That's brilliant.

Right up there with "If my auntie had nads she'd be my uncle"

I'd bet Liverpool wins something before Everton does.

If only because Liverpool has a tradition of winning, as opposed to a solid fiscally responsible castle mired in mediocrity.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2012, 07:21:17 AM »

There's a world of difference between the 10th biggest wage bill in the premiership and the 4th.  Everton have always gotten more bang for their buck than Liverpool.  All that money spent at Liverpool and no league title for over 20 years.  It breaks my heart for Stevie G. :'(  Shame the move to Chelsea fell through for him - he clearly prefers to be a big fish in pond life.

I'll wager that Moyes' first trophy will come before Brendan Rodgers' first trophy, whether at Everton or Man Utd.  Actually, I'd also bet that Moyes is still the Everton coach after Brendan's been sent packing by Liverpool's Yankee owners, with a hefty pay-off to rival Rafa's, Houllier's and King Kenny's.  You see, Everton believe in continuity. ;)

Castles built on a solid, well built team, with a modest budget. :)

Can you not see and appreciate Liverpool's attempts to be more in line with your way of thinking? Good young team coming through, new stadium on the way, a brilliant young manager who is at a massive club with no desire to be elsewhere. Everton can't possibly lay claim to any of that but hell they're fourth in the league at the moment so who cares, enjoy it!

How does not being able to afford such and such make them financially responsible anyway? If they could afford it and didn't pay I'd agree with you but calling Everton financially responsible is like me saying the homeless dude who lives under the bridge is financially responsible. It's pretty easy to be that when you've got no money, no credit, a crumbling stadium and no investors. Taking nothing away from what they've achieved with Moyes and they're a bloody good watch at the moment, but surely the very things that you admire and laud them for are just a matter of circumstance, it's nothing to do with what Everton stand for, it's just a by-product from being second best in their own city.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:29:32 AM by Bads316 »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
Good young team coming through,

That is not performing in the here and now.  Results matter right now and not what results they might get in a few year's time.  Sir Alex always integrated young talent into teams that were already successful and thus didn't compromise results.

new stadium on the way,

You're out of date.  That plan has been scrapped.  They can't even get planning to increase the capacity at Anfield.

a brilliant young manager who is at a massive club with no desire to be elsewhere.

What's brilliant about him.  A couple of good seasons at Swansea and a lot of talking with his hands?

How does not being able to afford such and such make them financially responsible anyway? If they could afford it and didn't pay I'd agree with you but calling Everton financially responsible is like me saying the homeless dude who lives under the bridge is financially responsible. It's pretty easy to be that when you've got no money, no credit, a crumbling stadium and no investors.

Everton are a solvent, self-financing club, have overdraft facilities with the Co-op bank, and are Wholly British owned, with a lifelong Evertonian as majority shareholder who has nothing but the best interests of the club at heart.  We've even got Sir Terry Leahy and Sir Philip Green as advisers.  Liverpool, on the other hand, made a loss of £40 Million last season alone, due to failure in the transfer market and excessive player wages.  They are also owned by an American investor - who probably didn't even know about the club's existence until the Glazers' bought Man Utd - who's only interested in the club as an 'investment' in which he can try and make a killing.  I'd take Bill Kenwright over a ride any day of the week.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
"Mr. David Moyes is a fine example to everybody in Government of stability and making the right decisions for the long term."

- Andy Burnham, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

(Shame Gordon Brown didn't learn from Moyesy's example.)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
Good young team coming through,

That is not performing in the here and now.  Results matter right now and not what results they might get in a few year's time.  Sir Alex always integrated young talent into teams that were already successful and thus didn't compromise results.

new stadium on the way,

You're out of date.  That plan has been scrapped.  They can't even get planning to increase the capacity at Anfield.

a brilliant young manager who is at a massive club with no desire to be elsewhere.

What's brilliant about him.  A couple of good seasons at Swansea and a lot of talking with his hands?

How does not being able to afford such and such make them financially responsible anyway? If they could afford it and didn't pay I'd agree with you but calling Everton financially responsible is like me saying the homeless dude who lives under the bridge is financially responsible. It's pretty easy to be that when you've got no money, no credit, a crumbling stadium and no investors.

Everton are a solvent, self-financing club, have overdraft facilities with the Co-op bank, and are Wholly British owned, with a lifelong Evertonian as majority shareholder who has nothing but the best interests of the club at heart.  We've even got Sir Terry Leahy and Sir Philip Green as advisers.  Liverpool, on the other hand, made a loss of £40 Million last season alone, due to failure in the transfer market and excessive player wages.  They are also owned by an American investor - who probably didn't even know about the club's existence until the Glazers' bought Man Utd - who's only interested in the club as an 'investment' in which he can try and make a killing.  I'd take Bill Kenwright over a ride any day of the week.

Sir Alex always integrated young talent into team that were successful.............  ten years into his reign at Man Utd. Rodgers is a few months in and is still picking up the pieces left by Rafa. A fairer comparison would be Fergie's first season, which didn't go well at all despite the fact that Fergie inherited a team ten times better than what Rodgers has got. Hence the need to use the young players. Crikey the poor man just can't win.

Last I heard they were redeveloping Anfield complete with a £25 million grant from the city council? Haven't heard anything that contradicts this.

What's brilliant about him? I like how he handles himself, I like the way he plays football. I like how he's given Sterling the nod ahead of Cole, Downing etc He's a good fit for that club and I hope he'll be given a chance to fully implement his style 'cus when it clicks, Liverpool will be a sight to see. In what way is giving Rodgers the job after his brilliant work at Swansea different to how Moyes came into Everton?

You're taking Bill Kenwright because nobody wants to buy Everton. It's not a moral crusade for the good of football.

"Mr. David Moyes is a fine example to everybody in Government of stability and making the right decisions for the long term."

(Shame Gordon Brown didn't learn from Moyesy's example.)

"Mr. David Moyes is a fine example to everybody in Government of stability and making the right decisions for the long term while waiting for the bigger and better job to come along"

:)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:30:39 AM by Bads316 »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »
Sir Alex always integrated young talent into team that were successful.............  ten years into his reign at Man Utd.

So, Giggsy only made his first team debut for Man Utd in 1996?

Rodgers is a few months in and is still picking up the pieces left by Rafa.

King Kenny did a better job of picking up the pieces left by Rafa than Brendan Cole has done, and he was sacked for it.

A fairer comparison would be Fergie's first season, which didn't go well at all despite the fact that Fergie inherited a team ten times better than what Rodgers has got. Hence the need to use the young players. Crikey the poor man just can't win.

Man Utd finished Fergie's first part-season in charge in 11th place.  Better than Liverpool will finish this season.  And Brendan Cole has only himself to blame for a lack of balance in his squad by shipping out Andy Carroll.  Ultimately, Man Utd gave Fergie the time to stamp his mark on the squad, a luxury Brendan won't get to enjoy.

Last I heard they were redeveloping Anfield complete with a £25 million grant from the city council? Haven't heard anything that contradicts this.

"This is step one as there is land to acquire, plans to be approved," said Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre.

In what way is giving Rodgers the job after his brilliant work at Swansea different to how Moyes came into Everton?

I didn't say Moyes was a brilliant manager at Preston, and neither is Brenda.

You're taking Bill Kenwright because nobody wants to buy Everton. It's not a moral crusade for the good of football.

For some of us true football fans, it is.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
Sir Alex always integrated young talent into team that were successful.............  ten years into his reign at Man Utd.

So, Giggsy only made his first team debut for Man Utd in 1996?

No, he made his debut in 1991. Either way Alex Ferguson was not integrating young players into a successful side, four months into the job.

King Kenny did a better job of picking up the pieces left by Rafa than Brendan Cole has done, and he was sacked for it.

So Dalglish did a better job by spending millions and millions and millions on average players yet Rodgers has done a worse job by not spending and bringing through youth with a view to curtail the crippling financial burden the club is under. Yet Everton are the front runners in a moral crusade for 'true football fans' by not spending etc etc. I beg anyone to make sense of that. Please.

Man Utd finished Fergie's first part-season in charge in 11th place.  Better than Liverpool will finish this season.  And Brendan Cole has only himself to blame for a lack of balance in his squad by shipping out Andy Carroll.  Ultimately, Man Utd gave Fergie the time to stamp his mark on the squad, a luxury Brendan won't get to enjoy.

I think it's well documented that what happened with Carol wasn't Rodgers' fault. Carol wouldn't play in that system anyway, hoofing the ball up to big scary hairy men is only something 'real football fans' like to see it seems.

I love it when Everton fans have to turn to Man Utd as the comparison to Liverpool. :)

"This is step one as there is land to acquire, plans to be approved," said Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre.

Bit of a leap from 'scrapped plan'.

I didn't say Moyes was a brilliant manager at Preston, and neither is Brenda.

No I said Rodgers showed he was a brilliant manager at Swansea and deserved a shot at a bigger job, if he's patient Moyes will get one soon :)

For some of us true football fans, it is.

What does that even mean? Kenwright's inability to make a deal makes Everton fans true football fans? It's just circumstance Dice, same as any other club in the country. It doesn't make you, or Everton or David Moyes special or unique in anyway.

I'm a Villa fan because it was passed down to me through lord knows how many generations of my family. Despite them being taken over by an evil greedy Yank I still support them and I'm glad he came in for Villa because if he hadn't we would be in League One right now, Villa would be Dice's second/third or fourth team and I'd be a 'real football fan'. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
No, he made his debut in 1991. Either way Alex Ferguson was not integrating young players into a successful side, four months into the job.

But he was in 1991 when Man Utd were successful, like I said.  Brenda's not got a successful side and so he's asking way too much of the youngsters, hence Liverpool's under-performance this season.

So Dalglish did a better job by spending millions and millions and millions on average players yet Rodgers has done a worse job by not spending and bringing through youth with a view to curtail the crippling financial burden the club is under. Yet Everton are the front runners in a moral crusade for 'true football fans' by not spending etc etc. I beg anyone to make sense of that. Please.

Brenda's already wasted £12 Million on Borini and wasted Carroll by unwisely loaning him out.  When you're in a hole you stop digging.

I think it's well documented that what happened with Carol wasn't Rodgers' fault. Carroll wouldn't play in that system anyway, hoofing the ball up to big scary hairy men is only something 'real football fans' like to see it seems.

Most decent players are able to adapt their game, but in any case Rodgers didn't give Carroll enough of an opportunity to prove himself.  And Brenda's 'system' ain't working.

I love it when Everton fans have to turn to Man Utd as the comparison to Liverpool.

I'll happily compare great managers regardless of the club they manage - be it Fergie or Moyesy - with 'talkers' like Brenda, anytime.

Bit of a leap from 'scrapped plan'.

There’s a lot of talk in football, maybe too much talk, especially at Liverpool, but they’re just plans.  Liverpool have trodden this path before when they were going to build a brand spanking new 70,000-seater stadium in Stanley Park, they even got planning permission, but that idea was "scrapped" because they couldn’t raise the finance.  I’ll believe these new 'plans' if I see them completed.

No I said Rodgers showed he was a brilliant manager at Swansea and deserved a shot at a bigger job, if he's patient Moyes will get one soon

David Moyes will be crowned the next manager of the biggest club in the world, where as Brenda will get a year at a club on the slide before being relegated to the trash heap of football history.

What does that even mean? Kenwright's inability to make a deal makes Everton fans true football fans? It's just circumstance Dice, same as any other club in the country. It doesn't make you, or Everton or David Moyes special or unique in anyway.

I'm praying Kenwright doesn't make a deal.  Football is being destroyed by debt and fantasy football but the crash is coming right soon and only prudent clubs will be left standing.

Despite them being taken over by an evil greedy Yank I still support them and I'm glad he came in for Villa because if he hadn't we would be in League One right now. 

Give it time. ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
Brenda’s in a bind.  He’s inherited a squad of decent players, including a few world class players, and it’s up to him to get the best out of what he’s got to work with.  But he’s obviously not very good at man-management, so he’s failing miserably and probably weeping, wailing and hollering that they won’t play for him.  He’s in a pickle.  He thinks, I wanna bring my own players in, and so he does with Joe Allen and Tortellini, but that’s all he can afford and so he looks to the younger players ‘cos he knows they’re impressionable and more likely to believe his guff than the more seasoned pros are.  The problem is that they can’t carry the burden of the first team alone, they need to be integrated into a successful team, but all he’s got are lames like Joe Cole (£120,000 per week) and Stewart Downing fannying about, Stevie G sulking and Jamie Carragher focusing on guiding his son’s progression onto the gravy train of professional football.

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Phew. I wish I didn't live half way around the world and 10 time zones behind you lot. Being part of this conversation would have been fun!

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
You'd have been able to witness the maturity of an Everton fan thinking they were funny by changing a mans name to a woman's name and then compound the immaturity by opening the "real fan" debate. I half expect an Internet wager "threat" involving a tape measure next.

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
You'd have been able to witness the maturity of an Everton fan thinking they were funny by changing a mans name to a woman's name and then compound the immaturity by opening the "real fan" debate. I half expect an Internet wager "threat" involving a tape measure next.

Careful. Im an Everton fan, Just like TD. He is part of our family.

This can not be said of Liverpool fans, as most of their fans are single Norwegians with no sense of tradition or loyalty  ;)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
He's the embarrassing special cousin no one ever invites to Christmas dinner eh?