Author Topic: What's the average age of a U2 fan ?  (Read 9960 times)

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
Re: What's the average age of a U2 fan ?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
30 here. Got into them around late 2000, when I first came across that 'my vh1 awards' show on TV. Seeing Bono walk towards the stage while the band played Beautiful Day in the background was pretty memorable I think. Realized then and there that that's exactly what I've always wanted out of a band but had never gotten before--a combination of larger than life vocals, melodic and expressive sounds, a true camaraderie between mates, and a higher-than-thou type of attitude to go along with it (with a hint of pretentiousness). Once that song ended, the search was all over and I've been a fan ever since.  8)

Offline u2fanBarb...barely conscious

• Stateless
  • Hangin' by my thumbs...
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
I was 35 when I first got into U2- when JT came out and really got addicted to them after seeing U2360, though I wish I'd seen Zoo tv too. Now I'm almost 60, one of their oldest fans no doubt. Do wish I knew some other U2 fans though.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
40 years old.  I remember my older/cooler cousins buying war/red rocks and playing it all summer.  I saw live aid with them too.  I became a big fan with JT and RH (pre Internet so I never knew about its "poor reception".My friends and I in high school loved it.) When AB arrived they were cemented as my favourite band ever!

Jon

That's the funny thing about Rattle & Hum. For fans who came on board in the last 20 years, they may think Rattle & Hum was failure and poorly received, but for those of us who were in high school or college in the late 80's (I was in grade 9 when it was released) it was absolutley huge! Desire was all over the radio and MTV. Same with Angel of Harlem.

This is so true, and one reason why the Internet and the excess of information it makes available can be bad things for newer U2 fans. I bought R&H on its release day, and yeah, it was massive (all over MTV and radio, etc). It wasn't until years later that I found out it was a quote-unquote failure.

Let me add my concurring voice to this.  I bought R&H (on vinyl) on the day of release and bunked off school to do so.  Desire was the single that got me into U2 in the first place.  When R&H was first released I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and needless to say it was played to the death.  It was only some time later that the live tracks began to grate on me and I felt they detracted from the album overall.  Today, while I still really like some studio songs on it - Heartland, Desire, AOH, AIWIY - I would rate the album amongst my least liked U2 album.

Online The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
40 years old.  I remember my older/cooler cousins buying war/red rocks and playing it all summer.  I saw live aid with them too.  I became a big fan with JT and RH (pre Internet so I never knew about its "poor reception".My friends and I in high school loved it.) When AB arrived they were cemented as my favourite band ever!

Jon

That's the funny thing about Rattle & Hum. For fans who came on board in the last 20 years, they may think Rattle & Hum was failure and poorly received, but for those of us who were in high school or college in the late 80's (I was in grade 9 when it was released) it was absolutley huge! Desire was all over the radio and MTV. Same with Angel of Harlem.

This is so true, and one reason why the Internet and the excess of information it makes available can be bad things for newer U2 fans. I bought R&H on its release day, and yeah, it was massive (all over MTV and radio, etc). It wasn't until years later that I found out it was a quote-unquote failure.

Let me add my concurring voice to this.  I bought R&H (on vinyl) on the day of release and bunked off school to do so.  Desire was the single that got me into U2 in the first place.  When R&H was first released I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and needless to say it was played to the death.  It was only some time later that the live tracks began to grate on me and I felt they detracted from the album overall.  Today, while I still really like some studio songs on it - Heartland, Desire, AOH, AIWIY - I would rate the album amongst my least liked U2 album.

As Bono said about R&H's critics: "F#%k 'em, there's good chunes on there!"

He's right. And if he'd say the same of Pop he'd be even more so.

Offline connorfin22

• Refugee
  • 16 Years Old, Fan for 12 years
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
I'm 14 and I have been a fan sense I 2001...

Offline TheU2Ken

• Up With the Sun
  • VOTE FOR THE FORUM AWARDS!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
I suggest checking out the mighty Teens thread  :)

Offline Smee

• Desert Rose
  • Controversial, but true!
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
WOW...im suprised just how many younger fans are into the band. Just goes to prove u2 are universally appealing

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
I'm 20, and I became a fan between Pop and ATYCLB

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Touch me...take me to that other place..
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
I've been a fan since the early 80s...

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
28. Been a fan since 2004 when I first heard ebttrt, everything changed.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
It's really great to see the variety of ages and experiences, especially among the younger crowd. When I became a fan back at the end of 2001 I had trouble finding people in high school (and even in college) who really shared my passion for U2. Too bad we didn't all grow up in the same area!

Offline Boom Cha!

• Acrobat
  • Do you live here or is this a vacation?
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
I'm 24 and I've been a fan since I was 17.

...and in that time frame they've released one studio album.  :(

Offline AliSPNfan

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »
I'm 48 & I've been a fan since  I heard 'New Year's Day' on the radio at work.That was '82, before 'War' was released.I've been a massive fan ever since--coming up to 30 years  ;D

Online Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
I've been a fan since the early 80s...

Same here and I am 56 yrs old. 

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
By now, the average age of a U2 fan's gotta be around 40.