Author Topic: Achtung U2 - the Achtung Baby Font -- FINALLY!  (Read 5332 times)

Offline fabiolous

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Achtung U2 - the Achtung Baby Font -- FINALLY!
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »
I already posted this over at U2Start.com, but in the spirit of sharing, I'll post it here also.

After hunting high and low and finding nothing suitable—and after noting that a lot of people have been looking for something like this...

Please note the following announcement:
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Please note the following:
There is a .txt file within the zip file (see links below) that goes into much more detail on this font. Feel free to read it.
This is not a perfect font - nor is it nearly as comprehensive in its abilities as I would like. If U2 uses a font (and there's at least some evidence this is the case since exact characters are sometimes used in separate pieces of artwork), theirs is much more capable than mine. This was my first attempt ever at creating a font (let alone an open-type font which allows for ligature and contextual character replacement!), and I have no doubt some people could do better or even improve upon this one.  That said, it's actually a really good font and I think most everyone will appreciate how accurate it is and appreciate it's capabilities. 

Create and Enjoy!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes, I am accepting showerings of love, praise, and/or money!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:44:11 PM by fabiolous »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
Re: Achtung U2 - the Achtung Baby Font -- FINALLY!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
Mind blown!

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
^ This.  You have done an unbelievable job on the font - looks like the real thing to me!  Downloaded and works just fine in Open Office.

Offline fabiolous

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
Well - not a LOT of response on here (in spite of this post being read a bunch of times)... but that's okay.  I didn't test the open-type features (character replacement) in OpenOffice, but since it's less restrictive (in many ways) than Word, there's a good chance they're working.

(I'll just regurgitate here what I also posted elsewhere.)
--------------------------------------------------------------
[quoted from U2Start.com forum]
By the way, there's a .txt document within the .zip file that explains this, but it's probably worth mentioning here:

The font only uses its basic characters within MS Word (and perhaps other word-processing software) because it doesn't have a digital signature--something that is required by Word in order to "safely" use Open-Type font features. However, InDesign, PhotoShop, and other design software should automatically use the full effects of the font--which actually makes a pretty big difference in how it all looks when everything is displayed--provided open-type/ligatures are enabled within the program. I believe most of enabled by default.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

--DanH

Offline clad63

• Wanderer
  • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clad63/297626636948
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:49 AM »
great job !! finally a really approaching font!!!
sure you passed a long time doing that
but unfortunately I can't download it, on the server you gave the file is no more available
could I have it by direct email?

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »
Random question here, does it work on macs?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
I wasn't able to download it either. :(

Here are the two messages from the sites given for the download:

'Achtung U2 - font.zip' is unavailable. This file was deleted.

Download not available
The following download is not available:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | 0.00 MB
The file of the above link no longer exists. This could be for several reasons:
The uploader deleted the file.
The file contained illegal contents and was deleted from our servers by our Anti-Abuse team.
The link is incorrect.
The server is busy and can not process the request.

Offline clad63

• Wanderer
  • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clad63/297626636948
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »
same for me, seems the file have been deleted

Offline fabiolous

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »
Hey guys - sorry for the deleted files. 

To be honest, I was reluctant to put them out there in the first place - (call me greedy!) -- however, I had an unfortunate run-in with a moderator over at Interference.com (another U2 forum, for those that aren't aware) and I pretty much just said, "Fine! I'm taking my ball and going home!"   :) 

Anyway, I would be happy to share with those who are truly interested-- just send me a PM.  I may at some point put them back online and correct the links in the posts to be able to download again... but for the time being, I'm only going to share it with people who will make an effort to be nice about it.  (Yes, I realize that since it's already out there, there are probably others who would re-post it, or share it, etc.) 

Regarding the functionality on a Mac - I don't see any reason it wouldn't.  Seeing as I don't have a Mac, I can't say for sure; but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:56:14 AM by fabiolous »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
Hey guys - sorry for the deleted files. 

To be honest, I was reluctant to put them out there in the first place - (call me greedy!) -- however, I had an unfortunately run-in with a moderator over at Interference.com (another U2 forum, for those that aren't aware) and I pretty much just said, "Fine! I'm taking my ball and going home!"   :) 

Anyway, I would be happy to share with those who are truly interested-- just send me a PM.  I may at some point put them back online and correct the links in the posts to be able to download again... but for the time being, I'm only going to share it with people who will make an effort to be nice about it.  (Yes, I realize that since it's already out there, there are probably others who would re-post it, or share it, etc.) 

Regarding the functionality on a Mac - I don't see any reason it wouldn't.  Seeing as I don't have a Mac, I can't say for sure; but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

Well, that doesn't sound good. If you'd like to share, I'd love it. You can PM me. Thanks so much!  :)

Offline u2chris

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
Unbelievable job on this font! Is there any way you can PM me to share? I have been looking for this font for years!

Chris

Offline EverythingsFried

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
Would you mind PMing it to me? This is PERFECT for the U2 lyrics I want tattooed ;D
Awesome job!!

Offline BackFromTheDead

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »
My brother wants this for a tattoo as well.  Anyone have a live link for the font, or PM me?

Offline truthsfate

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
Can anyone help me out finding this font? I am getting my first tattoo and this is the only font I dream about!!

Please PM me. Thanks.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
Don't have the link. Maybe you can find it on U2start.

Share a picture of your tattoo if you have found it.