Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
Recipe cards and index cards sounds fun!  I would probably lose them, but this is a good idea in theory!

I'm at 12,000 words, but I put in serious work over the weekend and yesterday afternoon because I knew I'd be distracted by election returns tonight. 

I'm a little worried that I'm still in the character development/exposition stage.  I've been able to justify it so far because I'm trying to do a shifting third-person limited narrative structure, so it's important to give each character's opinion on events as I shift to her narration cycle.  Her opinions are so influenced by her back story that I've gotta get all that in there too.  In any case, there is very little "drama" in this story so far, but it's coming!

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:41 AM »
I haven't written in a couple of days. Our biggest fund raiser of the year is tomorrow so we're up to our eyeballs in the details for that. Today I have to work on the cocktail recipes with our office manager. It's a tough job, but I'm certain that I can get it done. :D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't written in a couple of days. Our biggest fund raiser of the year is tomorrow so we're up to our eyeballs in the details for that. Today I have to work on the cocktail recipes with our office manager. It's a tough job, but I'm certain that I can get it done. :D

Good luck. I dont know how you do it. ;)

northstarjo

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
day off work today so I'm almost caught up. . . .but my brain is on fire so I'm done for the day!! :D

I'm at 11 000 words, give or take.  And I am HAVING A BLAST!!!! Might actually have to think about pursuing this story more thoroughly after NaNo is done.  It's taking on a life of its own now - who knows what will happen next??  ;D

good luck to everyone and keep writing, writing, writing. . . . 

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »

It's so freaking hard! First, I have to go to a Bonnie Raitt concert, then I have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of liquor and test numerous cocktail recipes to make sure we have the best ones for the even and then I have to go to this event and stand around talking to big ticket donors while drinking those cocktails. I don't know how I do it either.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »

It's so freaking hard! First, I have to go to a Bonnie Raitt concert, then I have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of liquor and test numerous cocktail recipes to make sure we have the best ones for the even and then I have to go to this event and stand around talking to big ticket donors while drinking those cocktails. I don't know how I do it either.

It's great that you take one for the team! :)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »
day off work today so I'm almost caught up. . . .but my brain is on fire so I'm done for the day!! :D

I'm at 11 000 words, give or take.  And I am HAVING A BLAST!!!! Might actually have to think about pursuing this story more thoroughly after NaNo is done.  It's taking on a life of its own now - who knows what will happen next??  ;D

good luck to everyone and keep writing, writing, writing. . . .
Amazing!  Brain fire sounds much better than brain farts! 

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
sorry to join the party late!   ;D
way to go everyone. . .how are the word counts today?? (EC you have too much spare time!!!) :D

I'm writing whenever I can - none yesterday  ::) - and I'm getting ready to start tonight.  I've got 7435 words so far - I think I'm at least a day behind.

since I can't dedicate much time this year I'm using my tip from last year and jotting down ideas on recipe cards whenever I think of them, so when I actually get on the computer, I use the cards and don't waste time trying to decide what to write next.  And nothing of mine is in order - totally random, with little bits and pieces tagged on at the end that I will *hopefully* come back to and flesh out.

. . . .and I absolutely have to have music when I write  :D
I can't help it, we didn't have school yesterday!

It's awesome that your story is taking on a life of its own. It would be great to continue it after NaNo is done- I'm afraid I might have to do that with mine...

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
^ I'm really glad the everyone is connecting with their stories so well!  I still feel like NaNoWriMo is more of an intellectual exercise for me.  I've always been so undisciplined about finishing the stories I start that this seems like a quest I must complete!

Anyway, here's my profile for buddy-ing purposes if it helps, EC:

northstarjo

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
thanks for sharing your profile Blue. . .I have my reasons for not sharing mine, so please forgive me ;)

You're doing great with your word count - my last year's novel was chick lit too, so good luck with it!  I'm still behind about a day and I'll have some time tomorrow to write but if the snow storm they're forecasting hits us, the weekend will be nasty and I'll be using a shovel and not a computer!!!

did you know it's into week 2 already??? yikes!
get those fingers flying people!!! :D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
20,000 Words! (under the sea? Hm...) I love this thing!

I wrote out a complete summary of the story in my writing notebook, linking together all the scenes I wanted to see happen and filling in stuff along the way. Now I have a clear path to follow... but I was exhausted when I finished writing it. :D

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
20,000 Words! (under the sea? Hm...) I love this thing!

I wrote out a complete summary of the story in my writing notebook, linking together all the scenes I wanted to see happen and filling in stuff along the way. Now I have a clear path to follow... but I was exhausted when I finished writing it. :D

EC again, you are my hero. I have so much catching up to do this weekend.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
Me too, Bels. I am at about over 7000 words. I only wrote Monday and Wednesday. Busy. But I'm hoping to catch up over the weekend. I will be happy to hit 10,000. Life gets in the way of everything. More house issues. Ugh.

northstarjo

« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2012, 01:28:49 PM »
since I'm not buddied up with anyone, I'll post a chunk of my story here - give you an idea what it's about. 

“Ahem, ladies, gentlemen and er, creature-folks.  If you could all gather ‘round and quiet down.  Time is of the essence, as you all know.”  The noise in the room continued.  “FIRE, GOD HELP US ALL, FIRE, FIRE!!!”, the Host screamed.  The effect of his words was instantaneous:  all chatter ceased.  Everyone froze in place, glasses halted mid-way to lips, heads swivelled as one, in the Host’s direction.  “That’s more like it! Begging your forgiveness for being a little over-dramatic, but we really must get underway, if this evening’s participants are to depart on schedule.  I know how anxious many of you to begin and being as how we’re only allowed a short window of time here in the human world, it is best to make the most of it.  So without further ado. . . before I send you in the direction of the registration table to sign the necessary release papers, I must make you aware of the Rules and Conditions of this the 92nd Annual After Hours Outing for Literary Characters.”

“Those of you who have been with us since the beginning feel free to tune me out at this point - no worries there, I know which of you will do just that.  But for those of you newcomers or those who just need a few friendly reminders, please listen closely.  The Rules and Conditions are really quite simple and straightforward.  Our Registration volunteers will record the names of everyone wishing to participate in the Outing.  You may not, under any circumstances, leave the building without registering your name and the names of any characters you may be Travelling with this evening.  This is very important.  We cannot have any undocumented Travellers wandering the human world.  For your safety as well as our record-keeping, this is vital.  At dawn tomorrow, when you return to the library, you will visit the Registration table and have your names struck off the Traveller’s record.  Those who fail to do so, will not be allowed to Travel in next year’s event.  Upon registration, Travellers will be required to surrender all items in their possession, with the exception of their clothing.  That is, each Traveller must empty his or her pockets and turn over handbags, purses, tools, knives, coins and so on.  No personal  items, besides clothing,  belonging to the original story are permitted in the real world.  Any supplies or aids to your Travelling must be located, collected, borrowed, stolen, and so forth, from your surroundings; gathered during encounters with other inhabitants.”

Next, Travellers will be allowed to leave in small groups, so as not to attract unwanted attention.  With this in mind, if you haven’t chosen anyone to Travel with and would like to do so, please choose your companions before being officially registered.  At the Registration table, each Traveller will be given a key to the library.  This is no ordinary key, however.  Keep it with you at all times while travelling.  You will not, I repeat, not be allowed re-entry to the library at dawn without your key.  Your key is your lifeline. “

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:35:22 PM by northstarjo »

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
I like it, Jo! Makes me want to know all about what happens to the Travellers on their Outing... will all of the story take place in one night? See, now I want to read more. :D