Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 8649 times)

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
  • I've got your life inside of me...
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like it, Jo! Makes me want to know all about what happens to the Travellers on their Outing... will all of the story take place in one night? See, now I want to read more. :D

yep - that's the idea:  one night, once a year - better be back by dawn (cue the doomsday music) :D , or else face eternity lost among the "humans".  Glad you like it - this one's fun, and its steamrolling along like a giant snowball now!!!!

. . . .I'm at 16 987 words.  Now I'm ready to face the snowstorm  :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:09:18 PM by northstarjo »

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »
Sounds fun, Jo! I love any story that forces me to re-orient myself  ;D Science fiction and fantasy novels definitely allow this experience. These are the types of stories I miss when they're over because then I have return to my regular, boring world!

I'm very excited to have reached the 20,000 word mark! I think this is as far as I've ever stuck with an idea.  Some 40%-of-the-way-there concerns:

1. I thought this story would be divided equally among the experiences of three female protagonists.  Initially, all of their stories seemed equally interesting and important to me.  In the last 5,000 words or so, I've discovered that I'm really most interested in only ONE of their stories.  Uh oh!

2. I vacillate wildly between pages of background/descriptive paragraphs and pages of rapid-fire dialogue.  Scrolling through the pages feels like the MS Word equivalent of a strobe light in a club.  I must not overthink this...

3. My oldest brother has decided that he's a NaNoWriMo prodigy (even though I'm the who told him about it and he got started a few days late).  His work schedule and age-inappropriate sleeping habits give him many unbroken hours to write.  Now I must contend with constant Facebook and Twitter shout-outs from him (we live 430 miles apart), inquiring about my word count and giving me an inferiority count by sharing his. My brother and I aren't particularly close, so it's kind of fun to bond over something like this, but I also feel like someone's watching me now.  :o

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2012, 12:08:36 AM »
Really hit my stride and broke 30k today.  The principals conflicts are now fully entangled.  I think a climatic moment is coming within the next 2,000 words or so!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
I hit 30k yesterday too. Everything's working out... I'm absolutely in love with the plot (in fact yesterday I was about to describe it to someone as a sci-fi book i want to read before remembering I was the one writing it). I'm just afraid the actual story will be too short for 50,000. The website says I can finish the story by Saturday if I keep up this pace.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2012, 07:12:49 AM »
I just hit 13,900 something last night. I did 3,000 words yesterday. I wish I didnt have a life or a house that requires so much work. I did 2,000 words on Saturday. I mean, this is all I can manage between everything I have to do. I'm frustrated, but plugging on. If I write about 2,000 words every night this week, I should catch up. Now I know why I havent managed to actually write a real novel in a long time. I HAVE NO TIME TO FIT IT IN.

I hope after I'm married I can squeeze writing back into my life. This is ridiculous. :( I hope we finally get things done in the house where we dont have to spend every waking moment focused on it. But we keep finding one problem after another. It's depressing.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
^^I always thought that if it comes up a little short, I'll go back and add some more parenthetical remarks and descriptions.  I read a while ago that Neil Gaiman fell in love with reading because he thought the parenthetical remarks in the Chronicles of Narnia were talking to him.  Don't know if that will work for your project, EC!  Maybe some footnotes?

^I'm waiting for that other shoe to drop, MG! At the beginning of the month, I was positive that life would get in the way. I've been quite fortunate that a few stars have aligned (computer got fixed, furlough days [which are actually quite a bad thing despite the writing time], husband on business trips). I hope the next thing you find in your house is a chest filled with gold pieces from the mid-nineteenth century!

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »
sorry to hear time isn't cooperating MG. . . .I felt some pressure last year too, but I started this year with no real aim to finish.  It seems to be helping - I'm not worried about daily totals and I'm having more fun with my storyline - it's getting way off track from what I thought my novel was about!!!  :D :D  But in a great way.  I thought I would be focused on what my Travelers would be doing - planned to update their progress every hour; like each chapter would be a time: 6PM - the Travelers are here; 7PM now they've gotten into trouble HERE etc.

I'm finding so much more of the details (the who, how and why) are being discovered by those characters who stayed behind - so I've got more story taking place inside the library, than I do on the adventurers outside in the real world. And the conflict and tension is building. . . .Not what I planned, but it's working! 

I'm at 20 000 words and hope to spend a good part of Wednesday writing.  I wish I could just plug my mind into the keyboard and let my thoughts pour out that way - it would be so much faster!!!  ;D

and wow to EC and Blue:  30 000+ words!!!! AMAZING - that's awesome!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
Oh, BSS, that would rock!! LOL! :) I already was not giving a raise (salary compensation meeting was last week) so a treasure chest of gold would work out great! :) Especially if it was enough that I could quit my job and go to grad school to get my MFA in Creative Writing. LOL!

At least my fiance has been 100% supportive. He makes sure I get time to write each day and always checks with me that I'm working on my stuff and not goofing off. It's not annoying. He really wants to see me succeed at my dreams. And he thinks this is a first step because it's exercising my writing. He's a wonderful man and I cant wait to call him my husband. ;)

Hey, Jo, thanks!! I've been living this experience day-to-day. I dont know if I'm going to finish, but I'll just sit down and start typing and see what happens. It seems easier to focus that way... When I look at the big picture, I freak out.

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
Oh, BSS, that would rock!! LOL! :) I already was not giving a raise (salary compensation meeting was last week) so a treasure chest of gold would work out great! :) Especially if it was enough that I could quit my job and go to grad school to get my MFA in Creative Writing. LOL!

At least my fiance has been 100% supportive. He makes sure I get time to write each day and always checks with me that I'm working on my stuff and not goofing off. It's not annoying. He really wants to see me succeed at my dreams. And he thinks this is a first step because it's exercising my writing. He's a wonderful man and I cant wait to call him my husband. ;)

Hey, Jo, thanks!! I've been living this experience day-to-day. I dont know if I'm going to finish, but I'll just sit down and start typing and see what happens. It seems easier to focus that way... When I look at the big picture, I freak out.

the big picture is definitely scary sounding - but what's the worst that can happen?  You get a great start on writing something and then there's no excuse not to continue working on it after November - when you can take your time.  And because you can edit everything later on, it doesn't have to make perfect sense while you're writing.  Just get it down, details and ordering can come much later.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »
At this point I got so busy with college work where I didn't have the desire to do it for what seemed like a week or more. Leaves be way behind and at this point I might just forget about Nanowrimo all together and just write the entire story without a lingering date of 50k words over my head.

I'm thinking of using fictionpress to publish on, if you haven't heard of it, its a good place if you want to have people read chapter by chapter and leave reviews.  :)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »
I love Fictionpress (and its sister site, Fanfiction.net ::) ). Most of my writing is on that site...

Hm... I actually try to avoid using parantheses, Blue, so paranthetical remarks might not work to flesh  out the story. But I could write an epilogue or something at the end, or expand my "why I'm writing this" introduction.

This word count thing has gotten to my head. When I was writing something on paper for a prompt for school, I kept cramming words into the sentences to make it longer. :P

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »
^ Uh oh, English teacher moment: remember, parenthetical remarks don't require the punctuation mark known as parentheses.  They can be inserted (and often in a seamless way) using commas and dashes too!  I think what I'm referring to as a parenthetical remarks may be more properly called the rhetorical device of parenthesis.  Here's Ralph Ellison hamming it up with several different types of parenthesis:

“Those two spots are among the darkest of our whole civilization—pardon me, our whole culture (an important distinction, I’ve heard) which might sound like a hoax, or a contradiction, but that (by contradiction, I mean) is how the world moves:  not like an arrow, but a boomerang.”  --Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man

Second English teacher moment/irony of the day: Among my department colleagues, I am known as the "creativity killer."  We do ZERO creative writing in my class because I inherit juniors who have never written analytical response to literature, a research paper, or a persuasive/argument paper. (To my knowledge, however, I'm the only one in the department with any creative writing aspirations).  The first writing skill I coach across the board is being CONCISE.  Many kids have gotten smiley faces on their unread writing from lazy teachers simply because they filled a page, while others have such poor vocabularies that they talk around everything, so it's a big job I have to do.  The paradox I've discovered is that my poorest writers/thinkers often physically produce the most words although they tend to say the least.

In short, I would kill you for cramming your sentences full of words in my class (but only if they were useless space fillers).

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
Uh oh indeed. Sounds disturbingly like a threat... :o Good thing the prompt was for the literary magazine club for creative writing an not an actual class! But the word thing has gotten me paranoid...

Oh, that's what parenthetical remarks are. I'd actually never heard of them before today... you learn something new! Now, here's a question- what do you about using hyphens often, in a similar way of parantheses? My English teacher last year advised me not to use them very much, but as I dislike parantheses and often need to break up thoughts in such a way, I usually use hyphens... Sorry if this is an annoying question, I don't usually talk about writing mechanics. :D

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
Uh oh indeed. Sounds disturbingly like a threat... :o Good thing the prompt was for the literary magazine club for creative writing an not an actual class! But the word thing has gotten me paranoid...

Oh, that's what parenthetical remarks are. I'd actually never heard of them before today... you learn something new! Now, here's a question- what do you about using hyphens often, in a similar way of parantheses? My English teacher last year advised me not to use them very much, but as I dislike parantheses and often need to break up thoughts in such a way, I usually use hyphens... Sorry if this is an annoying question, I don't usually talk about writing mechanics. :D

As a reader, I'll tell you that the frequent use of hyphens and parenthesis are irritating. The comments that necessitate that type of punctuation are, virtually by definition, off the main topic of the main sentence and therefore serve to interrupt the flow of that sentence. That makes those sentences read like they were written by someone with ADHD who can not stay on topic. I can much better tolerate this type of writing when used in comedic writing. I would offer Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) as an example of that style of writing though I can't recall if he employed hyphens and parenthesis to accomplish it.

What is wrong with writing another sentence to include the information you want to convey? (Hint - Nothing) It's a thought organization issue in my estimation - not that there is anything wrong with that.  8)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the insight about hyphens, Joe. :) Sometimes I just think it's awkward to start a new sentence though. I could think of do I really need the information I'm putting in this hyphen or paranthesis? That would reduce my usage of them, but sometimes I feel that the information actually is important to the story...

What do you think of this usage of a hyphen, the kind that bothers me when I write it but I can't stop? (This is from my NaNo story.) "Not only had his savior turned out to be a girl, but she was young- she couldn't have been more than Jack's age." Or the other usage of hyphens that I was talking about previously (from something else I wrote)- "I fall asleep to nothing- no music, no roommate chatter- and my sleep is equally undisturbed."