Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 8475 times)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
For these one must dash, not hyphenate.  I find that MS Word will autocorrect two hyphens into a dash as long as you don't include a space between the words and the hyphens.  It looks like this—if you’re doing it correctly. Just a hyphen-length break (and check out that questionable use of a hyphen right there) in typing or in writing by hand doesn't give the sufficient eye space to alert the reader that a parenthetical clause is coming. 

Here's a link to some AP (as in Associated Press) style guide stuff.  I don't necessarily agree with everything here (especially the way they hate on the Oxford comma) but it's generally good advice:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the insight about hyphens, Joe. :) Sometimes I just think it's awkward to start a new sentence though. I could think of do I really need the information I'm putting in this hyphen or paranthesis? That would reduce my usage of them, but sometimes I feel that the information actually is important to the story...

What do you think of this usage of a hyphen, the kind that bothers me when I write it but I can't stop? (This is from my NaNo story.) "Not only had his savior turned out to be a girl, but she was young- she couldn't have been more than Jack's age." Or the other usage of hyphens that I was talking about previously (from something else I wrote)- "I fall asleep to nothing- no music, no roommate chatter- and my sleep is equally undisturbed."

I'd consider re-writing those sentences in this manner:

1. It was almost beyond his capacity to accept it as fact, but his savior was a girl who could not have been older than Jack himself.

2A. I fall asleep to the tranquility of a peaceful room which cradles me until I awake.

2B. With neither music nor chatter from my roommate to disturb me during the night, my sleep was undisturbed.

My issue with your second sentence is that the overwhelming majority of your readers understand what the word "nothing" means. It serves no purpose to give examples of what noises weren't there when you've already let them know that there were none. All it does is pad your word count. An editor would cut it in a heart beat. I would use something like 2A to replace your original sentence.

Unless...

There was some reason why the absence of music and chatter was especially important and/or unusual and needed to be noted, in which case I would go with something along the lines of 2B which addresses that point directly while keeping your sentence flowing.

Remember, I never said that the information following the hyphen was not important. If it needs to be there, put it in there. Important information, as a rule, can stand as a sentence on its own. It's up to you to construct that sentence in a manner which complements the surrounding sentences.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
Just a word of caution. I've heard tell that if you use a dash in your writing style, the word count validator on NaNoWriMo.org will count all the adjoining words as one word. So they tell me to (*gasp, against my religion*) put spaces between the dashes. (You can remove them December when word count is no longer a goal.)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
But I need to be validatored! Ha.  That definitely got the non-word red underline treatment.  For what it's worth, I wrote nothing today despite it being a furlough day.  Too much grading.  :-\

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »
I am up to 16K now. I wrote over 2K last night. If I can keep up this 2K pace, I hope to be at 20K at the end of Wednesday.

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
  • I've got your life inside of me...
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
^I'm happy for you.  Keep it up!

I'm closing in on the halfway point now - got pretty well stuck in a rut yesterday but I'm making progress again.  Novel took another sharp turn off the main road  ;) and I'm liking what's happening even if my daughter is saying "NOOOOO, but WHY. . .why would you do that??"  Makes great drama, I told her!!!!

hope everyone is glued to their keyboards right now!!!   :)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
Yay for progress, even if it doesn't look like we thought it would!

I'm kind of mad at my characters right now.  It's difficult writing them out of the fight they're having because I think they've all acted selfishly and need to suffer for a while.

...also, I'm getting completely distracted by latest young adult novel crush, The House of Scorpion. Some of you may remember what a sucker I am for that dystopian/post-apocolyptic young adult stuff!  8)

...also, my AP Lit students will nail me to the wall if I don't recall every ridiculous detail of whatever text we're reading during our class discussions, so I'm supposed to be re-reading Things Fall Apart.  Great book, but it's supposed to be their homework!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2012, 04:18:05 AM »
41000 words?? This proves I have no outside life. I mean writing *is* my life!

Last night I got to write the two scenes I was most looking forward to, and now it's going to be a bit of a struggle regaining the momentum when there's less to look forward to... but I can't wait to finish! It's now looking to be a little more than 50,000 words (funnily enough, it's only 100 pages long. Normally I would care more about the page amount than the word count, but...)

Keep up the good work, everyone! ;D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2012, 06:29:20 AM »
I'm still behind the daily total at 21K. I've been writing 2000 words a night since Monday to try to catch up. My fiance suddenly got unsupportive and told me that I did not have to finish this event. I guess he's tired of working on the house by himself. He then told me that maybe this was a bad year for me to do this. Duh. :( But back in August, he was all like, "Well, OF COURSE, you'll have time in November."

I dont know what to do. He's frustrated and I dont have time to do the painting I have to do. And I'm going to get behind Saturday because I have to take my two of my three bridesmaids out to a bridal shop an hour from my house so that we can pick a dress for them, and then I am going to see The Monkees in the evening. SO even if I catch up, I'll be behind again.

*sigh*

I guess I am just not cut out for this.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »
MG, of course you are cut out for this. What you are experiencing is just the roadblocks and speedbumps life puts in our path. You just have to regroup. I am far more behind than you are but determined to keep trying up until the last day of the month.

You can do this.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
I feel a little deflated now that my fiance seems annoyed and put out by this process.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »
I am sure he is also going through a temporary phase. Just re enforce with him how much this accomplishment would mean to you and how important writing is to you. He will come around.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
I hope so. When he said this morning that I dont *have* to write 2,000 words a day or try to catch up, that I should just be proud I wrote every day, and it doesnt matter if "win" or "lose," my heart sank. He understands that "win" = getting 50K words. How could I NOT complete something I start? Or at least try? He knows this is the quintessential problem my whole life, that he complains about regularly, that I quit before I start something... that I quit without giving it my all... and now he's telling me to quit without giving it my all??

Offline Belisama

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
Sounds like he was trying to be supportive by letting you know he wouldn't think less of you if you didn't hit the mark. He is probably concerned that this is adding to your already considrable stress (house, wedding, etc.) 

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:35 AM »
Ok, guys. Yesterday, I left work early for a hair cut appointment. Upon leaving there, I got the oil changed in my car, and then I worked out. I got home at 8. My fiance was out having beers with my dad (which is good -- my dad has been kind not accepting of him for awhile and now it looks like he's starting to like my fiance). So I sat down with my NaNoStory and I wrote steadily from about 9 until 11:45. I wrote over 3000 words and made it to around 24,400 words!! I'm almost caught up. I'd have kept going, but I didnt think I could write 600 more words in 15 minutes to get to 25000 words and caught up.

Tonight, my fiance has to do work for a client. I'm going to try to get another 2000-3000 to finally catch up to where I should be. I wont be able to write tomorrow -- busy day with bridesmaid stuff and then seeing The Monkees. But maybe I can get enough done tonight to be okay. Either way, I feel relieved that I'm almost on target again. Phew!

I am going to be at my fiance's family over Thanksgiving and I already told him that I have to spend time working on my 1600 words each day. He's cool with that.

I may get this done after all!