Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 7173 times)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No direct U2 references, but there is an impromptu performance of "Sympathy for the Devil" featuring upturned trash cans as conga drums inspired by actual events!

Excellent. As I am deep in a Rattle and Hum phase I am going to count that as a U2 reference.
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the Sympathy for the Devil and Ruby Tuesday snippets in R&H Bad.  This is highly ironic as Bad is my favorite U2 song and because I didn't even know about those two Stones tunes until watching R&H in 7th grade many moons ago.  ;D  Perhaps that actually was a U2 reference.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
No direct U2 references, but there is an impromptu performance of "Sympathy for the Devil" featuring upturned trash cans as conga drums inspired by actual events!

Excellent. As I am deep in a Rattle and Hum phase I am going to count that as a U2 reference.
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the Sympathy for the Devil and Ruby Tuesday snippets in R&H Bad.  This is highly ironic as Bad is my favorite U2 song and because I didn't even know about those two Stones tunes until watching R&H in 7th grade many moons ago.  ;D  Perhaps that actually was a U2 reference.

The subconscious is a wonderful thing.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
Since my story is about a futurist rock band, yes, I have inserted a few U2 references. At the very beginning of the book, I list a bunch of famous bands that my band's fame eventually gets compared to... and I listed U2.

I know I snuck one in elsewhere but now I cant remember what it was.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
I have a choir performing ISHFWILF at a funeral. So far. 

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
^Spine tingling!

Offline Belisama

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
Again, heavily influenced by Rattle and Hum right now.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • All is not lost.
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
I love you guys' U2 references. Did I tell you, Sama, that my chorus might be singing ISFWILF in the future? I saw the sheet music in my teacher's office. We're an acappella group so it might even be like the one in R&H.

I have a concert in my story because there's no EnduringChill story that goes without one or a mention of one (at least the ones I've written recently). But the music is some strange alien language... no U2.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »
I love that you have a trademark in all your stories. Very Hitchcock of you.

If your chorus sings ISHFWILF I hope you invite me to a concert. Or at least record it. That will be awesome.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • All is not lost.
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2012, 07:30:24 PM »
Well, I guess the trademark isn't concerts, to be specific, but there's always either a mention of what music a character likes, a scene with them listening to it or playing it, or a concert scene. I can't keep my love for music and writing seperate (now if I could do it the other way and write songs, that'd be great...).

There will definitely be video if it happens.

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
Wow. . . .I missed a lot here! 

Way to go EC!!! (never doubted you would finish. . . but did you have to do it with HALF the month still to go??)  :D :D :D

Everyone's word counts are looking great!... . .I stalled out at 26 000 for a few days, but I've got a some new plot twists that should get me another couple thousand words - here's hoping I get to 32 000 by day's end.  My daughter said she would "totally read that book, mom". . . .and this from a teenager?!  hmmm, maybe next year she'll be writing!  :)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »
Way to go, Jo! I just got to 29K last night. I am not sure exactly what I'm writing next. Haha.

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:33 AM »
Way to go, Jo! I just got to 29K last night. I am not sure exactly what I'm writing next. Haha.

I got an email update from NaNo - basically said "are you stuck? try one of these. . ." and they dared you to name the rest of your characters after street names in your neighbourhood, or completely change genres for a chapter or two. . .stuff like that.  I'm not THAT desperate, yet!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »

I got an email update from NaNo - basically said "are you stuck? try one of these. . ." and they dared you to name the rest of your characters after street names in your neighbourhood, or completely change genres for a chapter or two. . .stuff like that.  I'm not THAT desperate, yet!

Me neither. But our area moderator (I'm involved with the local group, go to write-ins) keeps sending us funny challenges. I used one the other day. She had this very detailed description of a fuchsia scarf that I had one of my characters wearing in one scene. I thought that was kind of fun.

Offline northstarjo

• Holy Joe
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »

Me neither. But our area moderator (I'm involved with the local group, go to write-ins) keeps sending us funny challenges. I used one the other day. She had this very detailed description of a fuchsia scarf that I had one of my characters wearing in one scene. I thought that was kind of fun.

. . .that IS cool!  I like that idea. . . might just use it myself ;)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2012, 09:47:12 AM »
It's kind of fun to have someone give you a suggestion of an object and then you incorporate it into the story. It's like an inside joke.