Author Topic: What one song performance best represents U2360?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: What one song performance best represents U2360?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It seems a bit strange to use songs from a different album other than what the tour is supporting..

Not necessarily. For PopMart I think HMTM or EBTTRT or even Techno-Streets would do quite well, for instance.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
It seems a bit strange to use songs from a different album other than what the tour is supporting..

Not necessarily. For PopMart I think HMTM or EBTTRT or even Techno-Streets would do quite well, for instance.

Nowhere near as representative as Please or Mofo, I think.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
Mofo would definitely work as well as them, Please less so as a representation of PopMart IMO.

But it's totally up to people's individual views, really.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
Get On Your Boots

Offline xy

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
The Crazy Remix. The stadium felt like a club, which was the point.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

More like a gigantic open air rave.

zootv

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
If we are talking about a song that best represents the 360 tour then I'm going to have to go with a song from the album they were supporting. I'd have to go with Magnificent as it was the most anthem like of all the NLOTH selections especially with the "what time is it in the world and where are we going...." intro. On a personal note, nothing will ever top Ultraviolet with the steering wheel mic and laser jacket as best 360 moment for me.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »
If we are talking about a song that best represents the 360 tour then I'm going to have to go with a song from the album they were supporting. I'd have to go with Magnificent as it was the most anthem like of all the NLOTH selections especially with the "what time is it in the world and where are we going...." intro. On a personal note, nothing will ever top Ultraviolet with the steering wheel mic and laser jacket as best 360 moment for me.

Yeah Ultraviolet was the highlight for me too.

Offline Chip

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »
In choosing a representative song for a tour, the album it was supporting becomes a little less important to me than the stage design/atmospherics/etc. itself. If the band is throwing its touring weight behind the new album (Zoo TV being the best example), then, yeah, I'll pick a latest-album track. But when the band clearly has doubts about the new material (as with PopMart and 360), then I don't feel so bound.

For 360, I've got to give "Ultraviolet" the nod due to a) its visuals (including not just the laser show and the mic, but the "light bulb" at the top of the 360 set lighting up and starting its circular progression of hitting the whole stadium right after Bono sings, "Your love was a light bulb hanging over my head" -- at least in DC), and b) the way it starts the encore that encapsulates the major themes of the tour.

Runners-up: "Crazy Tonight" for getting all band members around the stage and "Your Blue Room"/"In a Little While" for the space imagery and astronaut video that arguably most get at the space setting of the tour. And then I'd have to say TUF for its incredible beauty . . .
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:21:50 AM by Chip »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
In choosing a representative song for a tour, the album it was supporting becomes a little less important to me than the stage design/atmospherics/etc. itself. If the band is throwing its touring weight behind the new album (Zoo TV being the best example), then, yeah, I'll pick a latest-album track. But when the band clearly has doubts about the new material (as with PopMart and 360), then I don't feel so bound.

For 360, I've got to give "Ultraviolet" the nod due to a) its visuals (including not just the laser show and the mic, but the "light bulb" at the top of the 360 set lighting up and starting its circular progression of hitting the whole stadium right after Bono sings, "Your love was a light bulb hanging over my head" -- at least in DC), and b) the way it starts the encore that encapsulates the major themes of the tour.

Runners-up: "Crazy Tonight" for getting all band members around the stage and "Your Blue Room"/"In a Little While" for the space imagery and astronaut video that arguably most get at the space setting of the tour. And then I'd have to say TUF for its incredible beauty . . .

Case closed.

I'd also throw in Until the end of the world as the catwalks came in rather handy for dramatic effect.

Offline xy

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »

More like a gigantic open air rave.

Sure.

Offline BurningDownLove

• Wanderer
  • Have a great day.
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 03:41:18 PM »

One - Proved that the stage design doesn't come close to the people standing on it

Well done.

After watching From The Sky Down, One has a whole new meaning for me.

I think, no matter what the tour, One will always be one of the songs that represent U2 the best.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
'One' at Glasto blew my socks off. Long time since it hit me like that.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face every time the album is delayed
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »

Nowhere near as representative as Please or Mofo, I think.

EBTTRT's sound and overall meaning was perfect for popmart.