Author Topic: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?  (Read 16041 times)

Offline AJ

• Desert Rose
  • Vinyl Guru
Re: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can they outdo  the 360 tour?

Do you mean in terms of art or commerce?
In terms of the sheer size of it, the stage, the audience, the promotion

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
In that case, in terms of those things I hope they're satisfied with 360. But yes, they could but I don't think they should.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:11:14 AM by Bads316 »

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
they could. they shouldnt try though, obviously. scale it back.

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 03:44:12 AM »
It will definitely be a mix of both indoors and outdoors .can you imagine them playing indoors in Ireland there would be a civil war.they would have to play 20. Nights in the biggest indoor venue .they have a love hate thing going on in there home country people here are really proud of them and at the same time think bono is an ass and the tax issue is a major bone of contention.anyway they are hard at work in Hanover studio saw them there yesterday. So a new tour could happen in the next 12 months.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 04:54:48 AM »
It will definitely be a mix of both indoors and outdoors .can you imagine them playing indoors in Ireland there would be a civil war.they would have to play 20. Nights in the biggest indoor venue .they have a love hate thing going on in there home country people here are really proud of them and at the same time think bono is an ass and the tax issue is a major bone of contention.anyway they are hard at work in Hanover studio saw them there yesterday. So a new tour could happen in the next 12 months.

My source, who has a senior artistic role in the U2 family and whom I will henceforward call 'deep throat', says that The Edge is working his fingers to the bone.

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:48 AM »
A liar won't believe anyone else. Watch more tv. :P

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »
A liar won't believe anyone else. Watch more tv. :P
Are you finally admitting that you're the liar?  :P

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I don't see why people here are so pessimistic about a new u2 album in 2013.for Christ's sake how do you think fans of gnr .van Halen .stone roses, rolling stones .metallica .linkin park . The eagles.blur feel the gaps between some of their albums have been over a decade,u2 have at least kept the real fans happy by releasing u2 22 edges picks and throwing in a few new songs on tour. 2013 will be a very eventful year for u2 I have no doubt about that.

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
I don't see why people here are so pessimistic about a new u2 album in 2013.for Christ's sake how do you think fans of gnr .van Halen .stone roses, rolling stones .metallica .linkin park . The eagles.blur feel the gaps between some of their albums have been over a decade,u2 have at least kept the real fans happy by releasing u2 22 edges picks and throwing in a few new songs on tour. 2013 will be a very eventful year for u2 I have no doubt about that.
Actually, I am not at all pessimistic about a 2013 release, but if we were going to see a new album released soon there would be much more news to it than there is. I think we will see something at the end of 2013, but no way a tour in the same year.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

pessimism is this forum's middle name.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
if it's a out-and-out rock album or something like Songs of Ascent was supposed to be, go arena.

if it's more dance oriented, some stadium-sized gigs in places like Paris' Hippodrome, any speedway or the locations used for their Moncton and Montreal gigs on the 360 tour would be cool. bleachers to sit down for some people, plenty of dance space for everyone else. Massive lights on towers lighting up the crowd from front to back. :)

Michigan International Speedway, Auto Club Speedway outside of LA, Hyde Park, Central Park, Grant Park in Chicago, Golden Gate Park in SF, Flinders Park in Sydney...party on! Obviously, you couldn't do that everywhere, but you'd be able to put on shows like that in many areas before you would have to consider going into a stadium again.

The racetrack idea would actually kick ass if they did it right...what if they expanded on the idea of the claw and just made an entire dome-type thing where the whole inner surface of it was tricked out with video capabilities and lights effects. The screen serves as the equivalent of an IMAX theater and the images are in 3-D (they give 3-D glasses to everyone at the door). The band plays on a stage that has wheels and moves about the crowd...Bono is in a hamster ball (a la one of the Achtoon Baby comics) and runs around on top of people as he's singing...OK, this is getting ridiculous...but can you imagine? I know I'm going to be made fun of I would actually sincerely enjoy going to a show like that. It would be like ZooTV to a whole new level. Then again, I think it would only be truly great if it was centered around some thematic idea that related to the new album.

Offline xy

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
They won't try outdoing 360 any time soon imo.

Bono can't pull of leather at 50 while Jagger, of all people, doesn't look ludacris with his geriatric prancing around the stage ?
Interesting.

Offline Chargedvt

• Refugee
  • Anxiously awaiting the mythical LP13
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »
Definitely do not try to outdo 360, and I'm 99% sure they won't.  As it was, on the 360 tour, tickets down here in Australia were $300 for the good seats due to the cost of the production.  Coldplay's were half the price and was probably just as good a show, so giant stages etc aren't really needed.  But regardless, I definitely want them to keep playing stadiums, at least in Australia, they are just too big a live draw.  What's the alternative, a couple of nights in arena-sized venues and a big chance of missing out on seeing them?  Screw that.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
Definitely do not try to outdo 360, and I'm 99% sure they won't.  As it was, on the 360 tour, tickets down here in Australia were $300 for the good seats due to the cost of the production.  Coldplay's were half the price and was probably just as good a show, so giant stages etc aren't really needed.  But regardless, I definitely want them to keep playing stadiums, at least in Australia, they are just too big a live draw.  What's the alternative, a couple of nights in arena-sized venues and a big chance of missing out on seeing them?  Screw that.

The alternative is to play a mixture of stadiums and arenas in most territories they visit on the next tour.  For example, the next time they are in the land of Oz they could play, say, one or two stadium shows in Sydney and an arena date or two in the same city.  This approach would satisfy ticket demand and give fans an opportunity to see them in a decent sized venue.  This is what the Stones did on their Licks tour in 2002-2003 and it seemed to work well.  And just like the Stones on their Licks tour, U2 could also play a smattering of theatre shows in selected cities around the world.

Offline Smee

• Desert Rose
  • Controversial, but true!
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
I DREAD to think what prices fans would be charged (ripped off) to see an indoor u2 tour