Author Topic: neil young again  (Read 5725 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: neil young again
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 03:34:15 AM »
I couldn't care less about Neil Young frankly. Anyone regarded as the 'father of grunge'...well...that implies that if he hadn't been around Grunge would not have existed.

Therefore... I wish he hadn't been around.

Wasteland of music.

Save for weezer.

Yay for weezer.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Walk On
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono's great, Neil's great... Of course I'd want them to get along but if not... I just don't care ! I'm more interested in Neil Young's book right now than any comment he'd do on other artists I may or may not like.

So Neil's got a book coming?

Ok, now I understand what his Bono comments are all about, and why he wanted some headlines.

And once again, if it takes a little bashing at Bono, for people to pay attention to Neil and his work, I'm perfectly ok with it. And I have the feeling Bono would be ok with it too.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »
I think Neil's older daughter has a mild form of CP. 

I have the greatest respect for everyone who care for those with special needs.   I truly believe that folks with CP, Downs Syndrome, etc are angels sent by God.  They are our teachers, of love and compassion.  All of us are blessed by having them around.

Do you have a special needs child ?

We do.

"Gift from god " may possibly be the last way we would describe him.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
Typical U2 forum response from some of you.  Neil Young (a musical legend) makes a tongue in cheek remark about your Saint Bono, and all hell breaks loose.

And I hate to tell you, but on the 360 tour, Bono did some snippets of The Needle and the Damage Done in Winnipeg and Edmonton.

By the way, for your "not relevant" comments, Neil has been putting out critically acclaimed albums throughout the 90s and 00s.  In fact, him and Crazy Horse have already released 2 albums this year.  Perhaps Bono and Co. could take some lessons from the "old hippy".

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Typical U2 forum response from some of you.  Neil Young (a musical legend) makes a tongue in cheek remark about your Saint Bono, and all hell breaks loose.

And I hate to tell you, but on the 360 tour, Bono did some snippets of The Needle and the Damage Done in Winnipeg and Edmonton.

By the way, for your "not relevant" comments, Neil has been putting out critically acclaimed albums throughout the 90s and 00s.  In fact, him and Crazy Horse have already released 2 albums this year.  Perhaps Bono and Co. could take some lessons from the "old hippy".

Amen

Bono's great, Neil's great... Of course I'd want them to get along but if not... I just don't care ! I'm more interested in Neil Young's book right now than any comment he'd do on other artists I may or may not like.

So Neil's got a book coming?

Ok, now I understand what his Bono comments are all about, and why he wanted some headlines.

And once again, if it takes a little bashing at Bono, for people to pay attention to Neil and his work, I'm perfectly ok with it. And I have the feeling Bono would be ok with it too.

Yes I'm sure that was Neil's motive, he's high on capitalism and marketing is ol' Neil  ::)

Maybe he heard this and was rightfully horrified and offended

WORST. COVER. EVER. 

If the band at my local played that song like that I'd burn the pub down.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:30:20 PM by Bads316 »

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
new album:

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »

I love how you are insinuating that some U2 fans are brainless musical zombies who know nothing else about music other than this famous Irish band but you are above all of us and know more about music history then we do. Dude, please get off your high horse.

Some of us know quite a bit about music and actually listen to more than enough classic rock to know who the hell Neil Young is. Quite frankly, I know plenty about the man and I think he is a smug p**** who walks around like he's some musical God that people need to respect and drop to their knees when he's around. I personally think his music is extremely overrated and that this whole "God Father of Grunge" crap is way over played. I could care less about his opinions about anything regardless if its tongue and cheek or not.

If there is anything that Bono and Co can learn from Neil Young is that the longer they stick around trying to be relevant the more pathetic you will look. period. I couldn't even name the last two albums Neil Young released because I simply don't give a $#!t...and pretty soon most people will say the same about U2 if they keep going down this road.

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
I couldn't care less about Neil Young frankly. Anyone regarded as the 'father of grunge'...well...that implies that if he hadn't been around Grunge would not have existed.

Wasteland of music.

Save for weezer.

Yay for weezer.

lol. Weezer isn't grunge, mate.

Offline bwm231163

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »

I love how you are insinuating that some U2 fans are brainless musical zombies who know nothing else about music other than this famous Irish band but you are above all of us and know more about music history then we do. Dude, please get off your high horse.

Some of us know quite a bit about music and actually listen to more than enough classic rock to know who the hell Neil Young is. Quite frankly, I know plenty about the man and I think he is a smug p**** who walks around like he's some musical God that people need to respect and drop to their knees when he's around. I personally think his music is extremely overrated and that this whole "God Father of Grunge" crap is way over played. I could care less about his opinions about anything regardless if its tongue and cheek or not.

If there is anything that Bono and Co can learn from Neil Young is that the longer they stick around trying to be relevant the more pathetic you will look. period. I couldn't even name the last two albums Neil Young released because I simply don't give a $#!t...and pretty soon most people will say the same about U2 if they keep going down this road.

Your post is a perfect example of what Northern Soul was talking about.

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »

Wasteland of music.

Save for weezer.

Yay for weezer.

lol. Weezer isn't grunge, mate.

Lol indeed. I know.

A bad, oblique reference to Rivers' "we want a Grunge band" quote. Sarcasm.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
Sure is funny how he recruited u2 's producer Daniel Lanois to produce his record.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
Sure is funny how he recruited u2 's producer Daniel Lanois to produce his record.

I didn't know Daniel Lanois is known in the industry as "U2's producer". I thought he was known as an artist and an accomplished record producer for a number of artists.

Offline bondylan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
I hope I am not being misinterpreted here. If Neil really didn't like u2 why would he work with Lanois who will forever be associated. And as most fans know ,U2 through there career  has shown a degree of admiration towards Young . So it's all good !

Offline Borack

• Child of Grace
  • ... And treat those two impostors just the same.
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »

Agreed. Well said. Thanks for the focused substance that makes some good points.

Offline Greenlight

• Babyface
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »
I can't believe a) that this old thread was resurrected and b) people don't get that the 'who is Bono' line was just a joke. Bono and Neil Young have apparently been seen downing pints together a few times in Bono's local in Dalkey so I assume they must get on even if every one else thinks that they are at loggerheads.