Author Topic: Why is Maroon 5 so bad?  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
Re: Why is Maroon 5 so bad?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
I find them incredibly boring. That "Moves Like Jagger" song is horrendous.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
They remind me of Supertramp. Listening to them is a bit like this....only worse.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
Adam Levine has become fingernails on a chalkboard. If I were a puppy, upon hearing him my hackles would rise. Instead, I try desperately to switch the station. My 16 year old likes him. Well, she also likes Kesha, so there you go.  :o

Offline stuc

• Stateless
  • I can't change the world but .....
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 05:37:27 AM »
In answer to the question of this topic: the voice, its the voice....

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
Well, why they are so famous is because Adam Levine is a celebrity more than he is a singer. "The Voice", dating super models, being "sexy", "hottie", "perfect bod" by conventional wisdom etc.

I'm from South East Asia (Singapore represent!) as well, but now in the US of A where I can proudly proclaim my love for U2.

Yeah, seems like in SE Asia (Singapore), whatever is on the pop top 20 is huuuge. Perhaps trying to mimic the Western world in ways that can be most tangibly perceived (chart hitzz) is considered cool? Among the younger demographic at least. Tho I hear U2 are considerable in Philippines?

back to m5, they churn out club hitzz that are great to pre-game to. College kids love that.

Yes, U2 are huge here.  There are also some obscure hits from the Eighties that are forgotten elsewhere but still huge here.

Ever heard of "More To Lose"? It is a song by Seona Dancing. It is really huge in the Philippines, and the singer of that band is supposedly popular in Europe. He goes by the name Ricky Gervais. No one know him that way in my country but mention or play that song and they all know it - especially the retro radio programming.

Other obscure bands such as The Wild Swans (English) and Fra Lippo Lippi (Swedish) have a cult following here but no one else in the rest of the world has heard of them.

But back to the topic, I don't get the Maroon 5 fascination.

Cheers,

J
when i was in singapore for a few months 11 years ago i noticed that u2 was played everywhere and seemed quite popular there i have heard people say the same in the philippines that u2 are often played..   in thailand i almost never heard u2 it was all hiphop or thai music another thing i noticed in se asia was that a large percentage of the people playing in live bands there where philippine and it was with bands like those u would hear u2 songs played

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
In answer to the question of this topic: the voice, its the voice....

you mean the auto tune?

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 02:27:10 AM »
There are U2 fans (like myself) who like Bon Jovi - which is like fastfood - you get the same thing and the same product all the time and is nowhere near gourmet but you still enjoy it.

Others like "derivative-disguised-as-artsy-and-original" Radiohead.

A lot of American U2 fans are big fans of Bruce "nothing-significant-since-Born-In-The-USA" Springsteen more because of what he stands for and how they relate to his lyrics which are just rehashes of previous themes.

Then some here are fascinated by "economy" or "low budget" versions of U2 like The Killers (I love them), or Coldplay (I can't stand them), or Muse.

The older ones in this board love The Rolling Stones although they don't know any song or album they did after Satisfaction.

With a band as great as U2 and for all of us being music fans, it is only natural to like other bands even though they are inferior to U2.  Nothing wrong with that.

But with Maroon 5, I cannot imagine a "true" U2 fan actually liking there music.  Maroon 5's music simply has no social or artistic redeeming value to even make it have any worth to real U2 or music fans in general.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

J

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »
Not having a go Jick but I'd really like to know how you can have a go at Bruce for rehashing his themes (if he does, then everyone does) when Bon Jovi's entire career is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of Meat Loaf's rehashed Bruce Springsteen?

The older Stones fans don't know any song or album since Satisfaction? What?

But yes, aside from the usual unnecessary baiting you make a great point.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:39 AM »
My wife dragged to me to one of their shows last summer and I actually enjoyed their performance of Stutter

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 09:00:48 AM »
Not having a go Jick but I'd really like to know how you can have a go at Bruce for rehashing his themes (if he does, then everyone does) when Bon Jovi's entire career is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of Meat Loaf's rehashed Bruce Springsteen?

The older Stones fans don't know any song or album since Satisfaction? What?

But yes, aside from the usual unnecessary baiting you make a great point.

Discussing these two acts you want to defend belongs in another thread.

After all, I am defending these two acts - Springsteen and the Stones. I am saying, it is perfectly acceptable for U2 fans to listen to their music - faults and all.  U2 don't make an album or tour every year, so it is natural for all of us to "settle for" inferior music. And yes, that includes Bon Jovi - who does indeed make rehash - just like McDonald's - every Big Mac in every branch tastes the same but still love by 100 million people worldwide.  Nothing wrong with that.

But a U2 fan settling for Maroon 5? That would confuse me.

Cheers,

J

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
Because One More Night kept Gangnam Style from going #1 on the Hot 100

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Because One More Night kept Gangnam Style from going #1 on the Hot 100

I honestly wouldn't mind that if One More Night was their most boring hit single...probably ever.

I miss Songs About Jane...

pophater

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but freakin' Maroon 5 is just awful. And yet everyone loves them. I don't get it. They should be made fun of at Bieber levels because they are that bad.

So what's the point of this thread? I dunno, let's just rant about how awful Maroon 5 is.
Maroon 5 is a great band. And if they were considered as equals to Justin Bieber, they would be as great as Bruce Springsteen or Coldplay

Offline TheU2Ken

• Up With the Sun
  • VOTE FOR THE FORUM AWARDS!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but freakin' Maroon 5 is just awful. And yet everyone loves them. I don't get it. They should be made fun of at Bieber levels because they are that bad.

So what's the point of this thread? I dunno, let's just rant about how awful Maroon 5 is.
Maroon 5 is a great band. And if they were considered as equals to Justin Bieber, they would be as great as Bruce Springsteen or Coldplay
this is just wrong

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »