Author Topic: Disney buys LucasFilm  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Disney buys LucasFilm
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
And there was me thinking they all lived happily ever after...

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Joe Johnstone would be a good choice. The Rocketeer is a fine film. I liked Captain America too.

Agreed, Cap was probably my favourite Marvel film so far, it just had that little bit of '80's magic going for it, and that's down to Johnstone.

satellitedog01

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
Yeah, he understands adventure films.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
It has been decapitated for sure, but much of the infrastructure still stands, and high ranking officers still controll significant numbers of ships and troops. Holding together an empire requires greater armed forces than holding together a democratic federal republic, so remaining imperial forces probably remaining on duty across the galaxy, if their commanding offcer is strong enough. They'll either surrender or try and grasp local power and create their own interstellar latifundia. The rebels have to rebuild the republic through diplomatic efforts based on trust that take more time than an invasion/occupation tactic. Also this redistribution of power will create a thousand new interest-groups who all want to come out winners locally...

There are many stories left under the rubbles of the empire, so while I don't think we need to hear them, we could get some good ones with a decent group of writers.

Good stuff!

Going by the rule of three, it makes sense that the concluding trilogy should be about two equal sides vying for position.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Desert Rose
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
Part of the reason the prequels weren't as good as the OT was that they got mired into very un-interesting political maneuvering.  The whole thing starts with a trade dispute!  (Because trade disputes are exciting?)  The OT was a simple good vs. evil plot that never really dwelled on all of that stuff--it let the action mostly speak for itself.  This is my fear with the plots being proposed.  It necessarily dilutes the good vs. evil premise to murky three (or more)-party squabbling.  Even in the prequels, the idea that Yoda was aligned with clone troopers--it was like, "wait, am I supposed to be rooting for them?  Or not?  This isn't as fun, since I can't just let go and enjoy the ride."  But of course, at this point I think any plot is going to come off as a late, unnecessary addition to the story.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »
I'd like to see Boba Fett playing both sides against the middle.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
Have you pre-booked your tickets yet Johnny? :)

Even in the prequels, the idea that Yoda was aligned with clone troopers--it was like, "wait, am I supposed to be rooting for them?  Or not?  This isn't as fun, since I can't just let go and enjoy the ride."

Well since you know where it's going no you're not suppose to enjoy it in that way, you're suppose to dread the inevitable. It dawns on you that the frikkin Nazi soldiers who can't shoot for toffee that you saw everywhere in the originals were actually designed as a force for good, for peace, welcomed by the senate and the Jedi with open arms, it's drama, it's loading the gun that will kill you. It inverts your expectations to the upmost, to a fault.

The political manoeuvring was very interesting to me, one of the best things about the Prequels - How does Democracy fall? If you think about it the bad guys are in charge at the start of the original three films right? Pretty logical, easy story to tell from that point on. BUT, what do you do when it starts with the good guys in charge, it's not an easy route to the simplistic good vs evil sugar rush that you're looking for. The bad guys are the rebels, the bad guys are the underdogs, the good guys are smug, lazy and naive. He didn't have to make it that way and it took some balls to do that. Aside from anyones thoughts on the dialogue, CGI, acting etc, Lucas had that story down like a mother.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:58:19 PM by Bads316 »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
The bad guys are the rebels, the bad guys are the underdogs, the good guys are smug, lazy and naive.

That's probably like how some liberals saw the neo-cons in the 1970s.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Desert Rose
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
Regarding the Clone Troopers, then, Lucas may have the most subversive sci-fi story since Starship Troopers.  (And there we go again with  the ____ Troopers motif.)  Kids everywhere are way into the Clone Troopers in a way that it's hard for me to identify with, since the prequels and cartoons made them heroic.  So kids are wearing t-shirts and playing with action figures of, essentially, pre-Nazi soldiers.  Weird.  I mean, there were always "bad guys", but they were always depicted as such, even if they were cooler looking.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
latest SW rumor roundup:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

it's the first story in the article/column, and there are links for more "info" therein if you wish to dig deeper.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
So the treatment was officially sent out to JJ Abrams, The Beard and Brad Bird. Bird is the only one who hasn't ruled himself out. I'm going to be gutted if it's not him now. 

Offline MASTER YODA

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
spielberg?

Offline Zoost

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
So the treatment was officially sent out to JJ Abrams, The Beard and Brad Bird. Bird is the only one who hasn't ruled himself out. I'm going to be gutted if it's not him now. 

He would be great!

Offline JBS

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »
Another bit to add to the rumor mill:

Offline MASTER YODA

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
spielberg probably if he does indy films too