Author Topic: future re-releases of the other U2 albums  (Read 1169 times)

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Wyoming
future re-releases of the other U2 albums
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
I apologize ahead of time if this topic has already been discussed to death.  (I'm sorry)

U2 albums with their re-release date, anniversary info, and remaster info:
November 2007   The Joshua Tree (20th Anniversary) (Remastered)
July 2008   Boy (no anniversary) (Remastered)
July 2008   October (no anniversary) (Remastered)
July 2008   War (no anniversary) (Remastered)
October 2009   The Unforgettable Fire (25th Anniversary) (Remastered)
October 2011   Achtung Baby (20th Anniversary) (not remastered)
October 2011   Zooropa (re-released with Achtung Baby) (no anniversary) (not remastered)

Why would any other albums be re-released?
A.  Because of un-released tracks?
When the U2 digital box set became available on iTunes in November 2004, I thought, “Well, this is awesome!  We have been given every un-released track that U2 has ever recorded.”

I was wrong.  Three years later . . . . . . in November 2007, when The Joshua Tree was re-released, we got tracks like wave of sorrow (birdland) and rise up.  And in July 2008, when October and War were re-released, we got tracks like tomorrow [common ground remix] and angels too tied to the ground.  And in October 2009, when The Unforgettable Fire was re-released, we got tracks like disappearing act and yoshino blossom.  And in October 2011, when Achtung Baby was re-released, we got tracks like oh berlin and near the island.

B.  Because of re-mastering?
To be honest, I can’t tell the difference between the original and the remastered versions.

So, here are my questions:
Question #1.  Why would any other albums be re-released?
Question #2.  Would there be an anniversary associated with them?
Question #3.  Would they be remastered?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
Re: future re-releases of the other U2 albums
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »
The answer to 1-3 is simple: we have no way of knowing. Personally, I think Zooropa deserves its own proper remaster and release, along with Rattle and Hum and Pop. Those are the only albums left that would warrant remastering, though at this point it seems doubtful. The band hasn't said anything else about them and the Achtung Baby set was beefy and impressive, almost like they were going out with a bang. Anything else would probably just be a standard 2-disc release.

I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »
Zooropa's minimization by inclusion as a "bonus disc" on deluxe versions of the Achtung Baby rerelease is a supreme disservice.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Zooropa's minimization by inclusion as a "bonus disc" on deluxe versions of the Achtung Baby rerelease is a supreme disservice.

I always thought it was a strange choice. It should have at least gotten its own bonus disc and artwork included in the set. I was really looking forward to the Zooropa re-release until I found out it was kind of tossed in as an extra. It deserves proper recognition.

Offline OptimaX

• Refugee
  • THERE IS JUST NOTHING BETTER THAN OPTIMAX!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
If I was the Zooropa album, I would be immense proud to be part of the Achtung Baby Deluxe box set.

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »
It is because the artistic material is so intertwined. Thats why they released it.

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
I love Zooropa. That is U2 experimentation done right - unlike POP or No Line On The Horizon.

But I do agree it does not deserve its own release.

The album was made in such a short burst of creative energy, that what you see is probably what you get.  There aren't 20 B-Sides to that album, or many unreleased live tracks. Even when the album was released, it took them a while to start playing some songs live and some got dropped so there aren't many live releases except for the Sydney video which we all have already.

The only logical way to have released Zooropa was to package it with the Achtung Baby boxed set since they belonged to the same tour anyway.

As for future releases:
2012 - re-packaging of live songs in U2.com membership package
2013 - Rattle and Hum 25th Anniversary Edition
2014 - either a new album (unlikely) OR another greatest hits compilation (more likely)

Cheers,

J

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:20:32 PM by jick »

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
The extra tracks on releases were finished after 2004. They were half done demos when initially recorded. Sometimes songs don't want to be finished.

Secondly, the reason they re-released alot of older material was improved packaging and because they want to give the CD era one final send off.

Also because the software used for the older albums was dramatically inferior to current ones. If you can't tell the difference your home audio is probably not up to the task. It is a good deal considering they were all reasonably priced.

Finally, some of the different countries got the artwork wrong initially...

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
I could see them re-releasing Zooropa as a stand alone in the future.

One other reason is there is a whole generation of fans who have never heard this material and would benefit a listen.   

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
As for future releases:
2013 - Rattle and Hum 25th Anniversary Edition

Since you mention Rattle & Hum and its 25th anniversary, I would be willing to purchase a special edition of the movie . . . . . . where the DVD has the option of watching the original theatrical version or watching a version where deleted footage has been re-inserted.  I'm guessing quite a bit of footage was left on the cutting-room floor.

Or maybe a special edition that has a bunch of behind-the-scenes footage in a section titled Special Features.  I don't need extra concert performance footage.  Instead, I would love to see:
-  the guys talk more about the Joshua Tree tour
-  the guys doing (and talking about) day-to-day tour-related tasks (such as tuning instruments or setting-up equipment like Edge's pedals/keyboards or Larry's drum kit)
-  the guys doing (and talking about) day-to-day non-tour related activities (i.e. things they did with what little free time they had)
-  the guys talking about concert set-list changes
-  more rehearsal footage
-  interactions between the band and management
-  interactions between the band and fans

And I would want to have the option to have English subtitles because I know that in this kind of video footage, people's voices might not be clear or there might be people talking over each other or there might be background noise interfering with the sound of their voices.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
If I was the Zooropa album, I would be immense proud to be part of the Achtung Baby Deluxe box set.

My issue wasn't so much that it was included in the set but with the fact that nothing was added with it. No alternate takes, b-sides, demos, or unreleased tracks, no Zooropa lyrics or artwork, or really anything pertaining to the album. I understand it was recorded in six weeks during a tour and they didn't have much time to build up a large collection of songs, but there have to have been at least a handful of tracks that would have warranted being included. It wasn't even remastered, something that I feel it desperately needs.

I think many of us feel it was added as simply a bonus disc, not an important studio album. Obviously it wouldn't be able to eclipse AB in the set but having some recognition or liner notes would have been a great touch. I still think a future release would be beneficial.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:38:01 PM by ZooStation42 »

Offline vertigbo

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
My issue wasn't so much that it was included in the set but with the fact that nothing was added with it. No alternate takes, b-sides, demos, or unreleased tracks, no Zooropa lyrics or artwork, or really anything pertaining to the album. I understand it was recorded in six weeks during a tour and they didn't have much time to build up a large collection of songs, but there have to have been at least a handful of tracks that would have warranted being included. It wasn't even remastered, something that I feel it desperately needs.

If memory serves, the Bill Flanagan book (U2 at the End of the World) includes a conversation between Flanagan and Edge about all the material left over even after Zooropa. Flanagan says there's another whole album there and Edge replies that the material is too disparate to make a cohesive album. (Or something to that effect; it's been years since I read the book.)  So I was also surprised that Zooropa didn't even warrant a bonus disc with the AB box set.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
If memory serves, the Bill Flanagan book (U2 at the End of the World) includes a conversation between Flanagan and Edge about all the material left over even after Zooropa. Flanagan says there's another whole album there and Edge replies that the material is too disparate to make a cohesive album. (Or something to that effect; it's been years since I read the book.)  So I was also surprised that Zooropa didn't even warrant a bonus disc with the AB box set.

I wouldn't be surprised. The album cover itself lists the names of several songs that were unfinished or left off the album, so hearing those demos would definitely have been a treat. I'm hoping they'll release something next year for the 20th anniversary but I wouldn't count on it.

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »
I could see them doing a low profile re-release for Record Store day or something....That is what Nirvana are doing with their b****** album