Author Topic: David Petraeus resigns  (Read 710 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
David Petraeus resigns
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

why on earth does he have to resign? is america so morally strict that you are going to exclude every outstanding candidate who ever has an affair? its not an elected post.

surely ensuring you have the best people in charge of these organisations is more important than whether or not they have sex with more than one woman?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: David Petraeus resigns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »

why on earth does he have to resign? is america so morally strict that you are going to exclude every outstanding candidate who ever has an affair? its not an elected post.

surely ensuring you have the best people in charge of these organisations is more important than whether or not they have sex with more than one woman?

He's supposed to be setting an example to people under his command who can be blackmailed to reveal classified information if the "other guys" know they are having affairs.

It's nothing to do with morals.

Anyhow here are his girlfriend and wife....

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:44:29 PM by JTBaby »

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
thats a fair point.

so every cia operative would be expected to quit if they had an affair? just seems a little unrealistic and would do more harm than good if it removed all them from its ranks.

is an affair something that would a significant thing to blackmail someone over these days? perhaps still.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
thats a fair point.

so every cia operative would be expected to quit if they had an affair? just seems a little unrealistic and would do more harm than good if it removed all them from its ranks.

is an affair something that would a significant thing to blackmail someone over these days? perhaps still.

I don't know that every operative would be fired, but he's the head honcho and supposed to set an example.

I don't see it as strictly a morals issue, but could be wrong

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
thats a fair point.

I don't know that every operative would be fired, but he's the head honcho and supposed to set an example.

I don't see it as strictly a morals issue, but could be wrong

no i think youre right. there is a moral dimension in the societies morals create the environment where the blackmail may occur but ur right its mainly the blackmail aspect that made him resign i'd say. it does allude to that in the article i've lnked now i think about it.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »

Due to the fact he could be black mailed-- If he had reveled before hand, and it was known he wouldn't resign (from a civilian post). The other problem is a lot of people in the military get kicked out for adultery, I mean a lot. When some one who likely dismissed officer from the army for the same thing smacks of hypocrisy.

I agree we are way too puritanical, I don't care who you sleep with, however because in our country if you get caught playing f round, f round you will get divorced and your wife will take most of your stuff--- That is a huge reason to cover it up, thus you can be easily black mailed
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:34:01 AM by Maximus »

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
I don't care if he's messing around on his wife. I care if he's good at his job. By all accounts he was. Very good. I think it's stupid he's had to resign over a little illicit nookie.

Online imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »

The CIA director can't have things like that hanging over his head. End of story.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »

The CIA director can't have things like that hanging over his head. End of story.

Why? What does who he's having sex with have to do with his ability to do his job?

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »

Why? What does who he's having sex with have to do with his ability to do his job?

i can see their point with the blackmail thing but it may soon be time to change it from an automatic resignation thing.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

Due to the fact he could be black mailed-- If he had reveled before hand, and it was known he wouldn't resign (from a civilian post). The other problem is a lot of people in the military get kicked out for adultery, I mean a lot. When some one who likely dismissed officer from the army for the same thing smacks of hypocrisy.

yeah i've seen the light on the blackmail thing (original post was reactionary and not thought through).

i do agree the line they've drawn seems a little over  the top. there are many things people can get blackmailed for and  it still sounds like there is a touch of a holier than thou aspect to it.

does anyone know if its similar rules for the other western intelligence agencies/military?

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Yes, blackmail point taken, but seriously, taking off a uniquely qualified person from such an important post is utterly ridiculous except in the most pressing circumstances. There is no moral issue here, and that's just a fact. There is no evidence to suggest that his duties would compromised by his corrupt morality, or any such ludicrous thing- especially in light of his record.
Given the calibre of the man, who has risked his life for his country countless times, perhaps it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion that he would put his assets and reputation in front of the nation?

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I regularly cry out secret information in my knowledge in the throes of orgasmic ecstasy.

Online imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »
yeah, but there's no one else there to hear it.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
Reports today say she had classified information on her computer that she shouldn't of had. I agree with Imaginery Friend on this issue.