Author Topic: Formula One Race  (Read 892 times)

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Global Moderator
  • Intellectual Tortoise
  • Time leaves us polished stones
Formula One Race
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
I have read articles in the past that some members of U2 have attended Formula one races. I even saw a story that said Bono was friends with the President of Formula One racing. Next weekend Formula One comes to Austin, where a race track, Circuit of the Americas, was built specifically for this race. What are your thoughts about the possibility that some of the band members might attend this race?

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
Re: Formula One Race
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
nah, not in Austin

Offline stigman

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • live is where we live
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »
larry has been to many grand prixs he is a good friend of eddie jordan former team owner and part time drummer!!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have read articles in the past that some members of U2 have attended Formula one races. I even saw a story that said Bono was friends with the President of Formula One racing. Next weekend Formula One comes to Austin, where a race track, Circuit of the Americas, was built specifically for this race. What are your thoughts about the possibility that some of the band members might attend this race?

Bono is 'friends' with lots and lots of people in high places.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
It's much more likely someone would attend the new race in NYC next year.

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
Bonofaninaustin, I'm thinking of taking a vacation to Austin in December to escape the cold of Ohio for a bit. What is Austin like for a visiting tourist? Are there sights to see? Is the public transport good, or at least decent? Are the roads easy to navigate (like, a grid pattern of intersecting streets. That's easy to navigate). Thanks for telling me about Austin ;D

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Global Moderator
  • Intellectual Tortoise
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:19:54 AM »
Bonofaninaustin, I'm thinking of taking a vacation to Austin in December to escape the cold of Ohio for a bit. What is Austin like for a visiting tourist? Are there sights to see? Is the public transport good, or at least decent? Are the roads easy to navigate (like, a grid pattern of intersecting streets. That's easy to navigate). Thanks for telling me about Austin ;D
Austin is a lot of fun but is notorious for it's terrible traffic. The streets are not really in a grid pattern because the state capital building is right smack downtown. If you we're going to just stay downtown, it is a very walkable city. There are several good museums, great music venues (Austin is the live music capital of the world), great restaurants, we have a hike and bike trail that runs along Lady Bird Lake. You can kayak, stand up paddle board, we have a natural spring pool that stays about 65 degrees all year long. There is only one light rail line right now and is only useful for those who live north of the city. If you like shopping, we have different areas of the city where you will find funky shops. There is also high end shopping, the best being at a place called The Domain which is north of the city. A favorite pastime of locals is to eat at the wide assortment of food trailers.Bat watching is also a big hit on the Congress street bridge. I feel the best time to come is when there is a festival going on. There is a Fan Fun Fest planned during the Formula one race this weekend. I don't know of any in December offhand but you could research it.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • I've Seen For Myself There's No End To Grief...
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »

Even more likely if it wasn't postponed until 2014  ;)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

lol. I guess I missed that when my attention was drawn to other things. Good thing I didn't make plans for that one yet.

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »

lol. I guess I missed that when my attention was drawn to other things. Good thing I didn't make plans for that one yet.

Yeah I suppose so  ;)  The track looks great though. Can't wait to see the F1 cars fly past with the New York skyline in the background.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

Yeah I suppose so  ;)  The track looks great though. Can't wait to see the F1 cars fly past with the New York skyline in the background.

It gives me another year to try and deal with Hamilton driving for Mercedes. I still don't like that thought right now.

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »

It gives me another year to try and deal with Hamilton driving for Mercedes. I still don't like that thought right now.

He's gone there purely for the money. McLaren offered him more than what any driver is being payed currently and he turned that down. I think it shows what is most important for him at the moment. A good car and loads of money or a worse car and even more money. That second choice is what few people would choose I think, but he did.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »

He's gone there purely for the money. McLaren offered him more than what any driver is being payed currently and he turned that down. I think it shows what is most important for him at the moment. A good car and loads of money or a worse car and even more money. That second choice is what few people would choose I think, but he did.

Hamilton's track career hasn't lived up to expectations, so maybe now he's focusing on banking as much money as he can while he can.  He'll probably not win another drivers' championship again.

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
^Thanks, Bonofaninaustin! I heard Austin is the liberal enclave of Texas, so I gotta check out your city for sure :D

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
Lewis!!!