Author Topic: Volunteering in Africa  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Volunteering in Africa
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been to Tunisia.

What was that like? I'm curious because I've read a lot of stories of similar experiences in Africa, so I'm interested to know what was the same and what was different for people.

Well, I went on holiday there when I was a kid.  Stayed in a nice 4 star hotel in one of the resorts and the white sandy beach was beautiful.  Tunis was colourful.  Rode on a camel.  Going on the buses was a bit like that scene in Romancing the Stone!

Offline Streets

• Stateless
  • I hear voices, ridiculous voices.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
I've been to Tunisia.

What was that like? I'm curious because I've read a lot of stories of similar experiences in Africa, so I'm interested to know what was the same and what was different for people.

Well, I went on holiday there when I was a kid.  Stayed in a nice 4 star hotel in one of the resorts and the white sandy beach was beautiful.  Tunis was colourful.  Rode on a camel.  Going on the buses was a bit like that scene in Romancing the Stone!

That sounds fantastic! It puts your earlier comment about sightseeing into context, though. But you know something about Africa and what it's capable of. It's a learning experience when you're a kid. Most people don't get that kind of chance, and you got it at an early age. Africa became more than just another continent to you. You didn't go there out of guilt but rather to enjoy what places like Tunisia had to offer. That means a lot.

(Sorry, I'm a person of very few words in real life. Don't know what's got into me.  :-[)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
I've been to Tunisia.

That sounds fantastic! It puts your earlier comment about sightseeing into context, though. But you know something about Africa and what it's capable of. It's a learning experience when you're a kid. Most people don't get that kind of chance, and you got it at an early age. Africa became more than just another continent to you. You didn't go there out of guilt but rather to enjoy what places like Tunisia had to offer. That means a lot.

(Sorry, I'm a person of very few words in real life. Don't know what's got into me.  :-[)

Sure, it was a nice place and folks there were friendly.  I did some bartering with a market trader in Tunis and played football with some local kids on a dirt football pitch.  I kind of associate North Africa with being Arabic as much as African.  I also wanna go on Safari in Kenya one day.  I don't feel any guilt about Africa but I certainly feel sorry for many Africans because I fear they don't have as bright a future as, say, Asians or Latin Americans.  I don't know where the prosperity is going to come from and that makes me sad.

Offline Streets

• Stateless
  • I hear voices, ridiculous voices.
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
Sure, it was a nice place and folks there were friendly.  I did some bartering with a market trader in Tunis and played football with some local kids on a dirt football pitch.  I kind of associate North Africa with being Arabic as much as African.  I also wanna go on Safari in Kenya one day.  I don't feel any guilt about Africa but I certainly feel sorry for many Africans because I fear they don't have as bright a future as, say, Asians or Latin Americans.  I don't know where the prosperity is going to come from and that makes me sad.

Going there, no matter what you do, makes you think about things, doesn't it?

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
Has anyone taken their U2 fandom to the next level and toured/volunteered in Africa? I feel that kinda tug in my life now and would love to discuss with someone else who has made that leap.

Chris Lilyerd

You don't have to go to Africa to make a difference in the world. It's no secret that I account a good bit of my success to the question "What would Bono do?" and I've only be outside of the US two days in my entire life.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
I see an IRS audit in your future.

Offline lilyercs

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone

Offline lilyercs

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »
I feel like I'm being called now to help in Africa. My U2 fandom (and my own life) has matured to the point now that it feels like I can help the world with some of it's problems instead of always worrying about mine. Plus I want to help author change. Just listening to the activism all the time makes me feel like a plain consumer and I have little to give back that way...

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
I'm sure you've checked into One.org. All I can seem to do is make phone calls or click an online petition, but I say go with your passion and see where it takes you. Someday, I may follow in your footsteps!

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »
I toured Africa in 2010, if you youtube africa overland 2010 my video comes up 1st i think, joeman2003, are we allowed to post links here? If not google 6 of the 7 continents for the budget traveler. U2 no doubt was in my head while I was there, I listened to Streets probably 100 times while down there, and the Soweto version has a new meaning for me.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
ps I looked into volunteering but the time committments were too long :-(  but I left almost all my clothes there and my sleeping bag if that helps.