Author Topic: U2 V Coldplay  (Read 9187 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: U2 V Coldplay
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »
How many bands of the stature of U2 work as hard in their 50's as they did in their 20's? Very very few.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How many bands of the stature of U2 work as hard in their 50's as they did in their 20's? Very very few.

Well they haven't exactly worked that hard in their 50s to date.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
Define "work". Edge hasn't played one show or released any music since turning 50. Neither has Larry.

The band hasn't released any music since turning 50.

Any number of bands have done more in their 50s.

Kiss. Rush. Aerosmith. Stones. Zz top. Could go on and on but let's see if U2 does ANYTHING in their 50s before pointing to some prolific output which may never actually happen.

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Find me a Coldplay song sung with the same passion as Moment of Surrender or With or Without You.

Question for those who have seen Coldplay live: does Martin sound as sleepy vocally live as he does on record?
it might not seem like it. But I'd compare Fix You or The Scientist the MoS or WOWY live

and no
to be fair wowy and mos were bad examples and fix you and scientist might not be bad comparisons :) however songs like bad, pride, sunday bloody sunday. wire, electric co, uv, are u2 type songs coldplay could only dream about

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
Define "work". Edge hasn't played one show or released any music since turning 50. Neither has Larry.

Kiss. Rush. Aerosmith. Stones. Zz top. Could go on and on but let's see if U2 does ANYTHING in their 50s before pointing to some prolific output which may never actually happen.

jt you cant paint everyone with the same brush  u2 are at a stage now where they do not need to prove anything to anyone they have been there and done it ,, i agree when i see bono talking to congress men in the usa and meps in rome and larry acting in sweden i sometimes think why the hell are they not recording but at the end of the day its up to them when they want to put out a record or a tour or as rem did call it a day at any rate comparing coldplay and u2 is like comparing liverpool football club and everton football club one team (liverpool) over its history has been there and done it all.... everton playing better at the moment but for all that will always be in the others shadow
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:58:29 PM by imedi »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

jt you cant paint everyone with the same brush  u2 are at a stage now where they do not need to prove anything to anyone they have been there and done it ,, i agree when i see bono talking to congress men in the usa and meps in rome and larry acting in sweden i sometimes think why the hell are they not recording but at the end of the day its up to them when they want to put out a record or a tour or as rem did call it a day at any rate comparing coldplay and u2 is like comparing liverpool football club and everton football club one team (liverpool) over its history has been there and done it all.... everton playing better at the moment but for all that will always be in the others shadow

You must have halitosis.

Offline stigman

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • live is where we live
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
a silly topic! to mention coldplay in the same sentence as u2 is laughable  and off topic the anti u2 talk on this forum just gets worse not very cool people!!!

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »

You must have halitosis.

rofl sorry just could not resist

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
Why are MoS and WoWY bad examples? Two of Bono's best vocal performances. You can't argue they're not.

Offline CrisSky

• Babyface
  • Hello, I love U2! I am a singer as well.
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
This topic will be silenced a little ( hopefully ) when U2 releases a new record and tours a new tour, ( and they will ) which will add to their already massive legacy. At that point many big U2 fans will look back on 360 ( the biggest tour of all time ) and think, hey that tour was amazing. And No Line On The Horizon was great, just the way most fans love the PoP album now. The bigger you are, the harder it is to live up to yourself. I think U2 has done pretty amazing with that. As for comparing the two bands. It's still easily U2 for me. To me, they just rock more, have better songs, better lyrics, and a way better front man/singer, and they have a guy called The Edge. This is what U2 can do You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »
While I completely understand this is a U2 forum, I don't think there is any denying that Coldplay is a much more important band for people my age (mid-20's) than U2 is.

I don't know a single person my age or younger who listens to U2. That's not meant as any sort of insult, or argument of musical quality...all I believe is that it's a generational thing.

People who grow up with one band always think that bands that come afterwards are crappy, or inferior by default. I don't think that's necessarily the case, it's all subjective in the end.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:02:05 PM by Shark Ericson »

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »
People who grow up with one band always think that bands that come afterwards are crappy, or inferior by default.

Do they? Really?

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
While I completely understand this is a U2 forum, I don't think there is any denying that Coldplay is a much more important band for people my age (mid-20's) than U2 is.

I don't know a single person my age or younger who listens to U2. That's not meant as any sort of insult, or argument of musical quality...all I believe is that it's a generational thing.

People who grow up with one band always think that bands that come afterwards are crappy, or inferior by default. I don't think that's necessarily the case, it's all subjective in the end.
i would agree with much of what you said and i actually like both bands and of coarse music is subjective but i do think u might as well compare coldplay to the beatles as compare them to  u2.. it has never made any since to me

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
People who grow up with one band always think that bands that come afterwards are crappy, or inferior by default.

Do they? Really?

That's my experience. People who loved Elvis tend to be dismissive of The Beatles, people who grew up with Zeppelin and Clash tend to dismiss U2, Generation X'ers say that all modern rock sucks today, etc.

It's an empirical observation, it's not necessarily universal for everyone. But I feel it definitely plays a strong role in the Coldplay/U2 debate

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
Why are MoS and WoWY bad examples? Two of Bono's best vocal performances. You can't argue they're not.
because wowy and mos are at least to me great songs but softer slower songs  like the type of music coldplay play its the heavier more experimental stuff that u2 has done that for me leave coldplay in the dust