Author Topic: U2 V Coldplay  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: U2 V Coldplay
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »
A more appropriate comparison would be Dido V Coldplay.  Whose music do you prefer to put your Ikea furniture together to?

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
People who grow up with one band always think that bands that come afterwards are crappy, or inferior by default.

Do they? Really?

That's my experience. People who loved Elvis tend to be dismissive of The Beatles, people who grew up with Zeppelin and Clash tend to dismiss U2, Generation X'ers say that all modern rock sucks today, etc.

It's an empirical observation, it's not necessarily universal for everyone. But I feel it definitely plays a strong role in the Coldplay/U2 debate

i agree with this, definitely

Offline Shark Ericson

• Stateless
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
A more appropriate comparison would be Dido V Coldplay.  Whose music do you prefer to put your Ikea furniture together to?

That's my point. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and you can certainly dismiss a band based upon on your own personal perception of their music, or what it elicits. However, that does not change the impact or popularity that a band has a with a world populace, or specific generations of people.

When comparing U2 and Coldplay, it's not an issue of whose music is more masculine, or whose is more bland. Countless people my age view Coldplay's music as exciting, and U2's music as weak, overblown, dinosaur rock. By the same token, my parents would say that Coldplay are a bunch of *****whipped Wa***rs who make awful music.

I do not ascribe to either of those views, but there's certainly a contrast that exists

Offline THRILLHO

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »

That's my point. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and you can certainly dismiss a band based upon on your own personal perception of their music, or what it elicits. However, that does not change the impact or popularity that a band has a with a world populace, or specific generations of people.

When comparing U2 and Coldplay, it's not an issue of whose music is more masculine, or whose is more bland. Countless people my age view Coldplay's music as exciting, and U2's music as weak, overblown, dinosaur rock. By the same token, my parents would say that Coldplay are a bunch of *****whipped wa**ers who make awful music.

I do not ascribe to either of those views, but there's certainly a contrast that exists

oh im a Coldplayer for certain and even i'd say this! i proudly listen to my dino-rock too.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
I'm not a Coldplay fan by any means, way too MOR for me but I'm glad U2 have had such an obviously huge influence on a band of that stature or anyone else. It makes me proud not jealous of them being replaced or embarrassed through association, it's cool that someone picked up a pen or a mic or a guitar because of U2.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
my parents would say that Coldplay are a bunch of *****whipped Wa***rs who make awful music.

My mum and dad wouldn't have a clue what Coldplay is, but would say they don't make songs like Cathy's Clown anymore.

Offline THRILLHO

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
I'm not a Coldplay fan by any means, way too MOR for me but I'm glad U2 have had such an obviously huge influence on a band of that stature or anyone else. It makes me proud not jealous of them being replaced or embarrassed through association, it's cool that someone picked up a pen or a mic or a guitar because of U2.

i'd agree with this. and maybe this argument exist bc Martin is so determined to make Cp the "next U2". Hasn't he compared every Cp album to a U2 album? I heard he had. I can see VLV being a rip off of Bomb/UF

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
People who grow up with one band always think that bands that come afterwards are crappy, or inferior by default.

Do they? Really?

That's my experience. People who loved Elvis tend to be dismissive of The Beatles, people who grew up with Zeppelin and Clash tend to dismiss U2, Generation X'ers say that all modern rock sucks today, etc.

It's an empirical observation, it's not necessarily universal for everyone. But I feel it definitely plays a strong role in the Coldplay/U2 debate

Zeppelin and U2 are my two favorite bands.

I know many people who like U2 and Coldplay.

I know no one who likes Zeppelin and Colplay.

Just some more factoids to add to the knowledge database.

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »

Do they? Really?

I am part of your statement #1 and your #3, so now you do know someone who likes both. I love breaking stereotypes.   :-*

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »

Do they? Really?

Yeah, generalising a little but I get your point, it comes down to Coldplay being a 'nice' band, my Nan likes them but she sure as s**t doesn't like Led Zep or U2.

It is their blessing and their curse.

Who's to say whether it's a bad thing or a good thing, it just makes them who they are. 

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »
Why are MoS and WoWY bad examples? Two of Bono's best vocal performances. You can't argue they're not.

On record.

Live, WOWY has been "sung" horribly for years.

Offline THRILLHO

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
i love U2, Cp, and Zepp. and yes, WOWY desperately needs to be dropped from the set.

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
i love U2, Cp, and Zepp. and yes, WOWY desperately needs to be dropped from the set.

Brother I never knew=DS.  ;)

And, for the record, I love WOWY, just not the way it's done now.  :'(

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
While I completely understand this is a U2 forum, I don't think there is any denying that Coldplay is a much more important band for people my age (mid-20's) than U2 is.

I don't know a single person my age or younger who listens to U2.

To be fair, I don't personally know a single person in my age group (mid-20s) that listens to Coldplay. Several of my personal friends listen to U2 and traveled to Moncton to see them live.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:11:19 PM by Drooropa »

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
^ presumably to see Arcade Fire :-P