Author Topic: U2.com Subscribers Exclusive  (Read 13165 times)

Offline AJ

• Precious Stone
  • Vinyl Guru
Re: U2.com Subscribers Exclusive
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So... this is what it is to be relevant?
;D thats funny

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
Jesus, that sounds like the worst buzzkill ever

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »
Are we sure U2 have not split up, when tripe like this comes out? Smells a bit fishy to me.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2012, 12:41:59 AM »
Here's the YouTube link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shorne

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »
I miss the 1989-1991 period where a great album was prededed by relative SILENCE!!! (the great track Night and Day notwithstanding). Just put out a live album/DVD from the vaults for Christmas and shut up already and we'll wait for the next album / tour.  This was like going out with a hot chick who after 10 dates hasn't put out and she finally says "you're getting something special tonight" and she gives you a tray of instant brownies to take back home with you.  Ugh.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
It's U2.com

Really, you expected something that WASN'T a terrible letdown ?

A list of U2.com subscribers would be like pure gold to the Wyoming Beachfront Property Development Corporation.

Fool you once, shame on them
Fool you twice, shame on you, you shoulda known better by now.
Fool you over and over yet you keep paying the $50 and expect something worthwhile when they make dumb announcements ? (insert smartass answer here, U2.com will have a special prize for the best entry)

Offline Jono

• Numb
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2012, 08:02:49 AM »
Here's the YouTube link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks very much Exile! I'll listen a few times before sharing an opinion. I am pretty much a purist when it comes to U2, and in general do not like remixes...but will listen again with an open mind-

Offline MelancholyBaby (U2Katya)

• Numb
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
That the "surprise" is the stupid Tiesto track is not so surprising. It's sad that I've learned not to trust U2 to do anything cool anymore. -- I think if it were a new song with the collaboration I'd feel different, but it's "Pride" re-mixed. As someone else said, "This is being relevant?"

What makes me mad is that I feel it's really just an advertisement for the rest of the CD for (RED). While I support (RED) and ONE, I makes me a little angry for it to be anything related coming from the official U2 website and being hyped as "U2 news". While I'm sure the rest of the band supports (RED) and ONE, I don't think the band website is the proper place to highlight Bono's solo activities in this way. --  Next they're going to start sending advertisements for the newest (RED) s**t (as Bono so bluntly put it himself in his Georgetown speech*) because U2 fans are a captive audience.

Georgetown speech : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »
I genuinely don't really get the scale of the annoyance over this. I also think that all the "Blah blah U2.com sucks" stuff is a bit silly now that they've given us two extremely good fan club gifts in a row.

Yes, they hyped what turned out to be not much. That's their job! They want people to keep interested even if it is for things like remixes. At no point did they ever even so much as hint that it would be new material. There is absolutely zero evidence anywhere in U2's history for the idea that they would have released a hint of new material now. And that's not because U2.com is particularly bad or anything, it's just that there are virtually no bands of U2's stature who would release news about new material via a subscribers-only clip or audio, particularly since it would make it to non-subscribers 2 seconds later anyway and thus be pointless.

And it's not like this was hard to work out; within the first page of this thread people were already predicting it would be this!  Yes, U2.com have been rubbish in the past. They have also genuinely improved and are now in their second consecutive year of releasing what is really quite a good fan club special, certainly better than most bands' fan clubs and many of them are comparable prices. (Most tend to just give you a t-shirt and poster or some such crap) This was a moderate level of hype for something a bit crap but which we could all have predicted, and which none of us had any remote reason to believe would be all that much better.

Basically, I can understand people being a bit irritated at it. But I can't really understand people acting as though this is a major scandal.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Judas says, John I'm getting nowhere.
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
This was really good.    I didnt have to spend $50 to hear it though so maybe that makes a difference.

Offline LToy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »

Droo-he said EVENING!  8)

THANK GOD.

Haven't listened yet, because I don't really care about this (and I'm even a trance fan). Glad I didn't waste time hovering over my laptop waiting for this.
True, most trance fans would be just as disgusted with this remix by Tiesto as most U2 fans are generally not fans of remixed music.  But as most trance fans know by now, Tiesto stopped making & playing trance in 2010 as he got bored with the genre & moved in a different direction away from all the characteristic hallmarks of trance (epic soundscapes, string arrangements, soaring melodies) and focused more on a hybridized sound of electro-house & dubstep.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »

Droo-he said EVENING!  8)

THANK GOD.

Haven't listened yet, because I don't really care about this (and I'm even a trance fan). Glad I didn't waste time hovering over my laptop waiting for this.
True, most trance fans would be just as disgusted with this remix by Tiesto as most U2 fans are generally not fans of remixed music.  But as most trance fans know by now, Tiesto stopped making & playing trance in 2010 as he got bored with the genre & moved in a different direction away from all the characteristic hallmarks of trance (epic soundscapes, string arrangements, soaring melodies) and focused more on a hybridized sound of electro-house & dubstep.

Very well said!

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
Does that mean it's more funeral doom metalish, death doom metalish, drone metal or sludge metal ?

Offline Fastcars12

• Stateless
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
After listening again Bono's vocals are really good but that's about it. IMO the way U2.com went about it was ridiculous. "Very special audio" insinuates a new song, something live etc - Basically something most U2 fans care about. I would argue that most fans could give a rats about any remix, let alone a remix of a song that they are sick of hearing live anyway. I'll continue to subscribe solely because I've been a member since Propaganda and I've seen U2 from the front row on more than one occasion because of the U2.com pre-sales. If it wasn't for that I'm not so sure.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
I got into the inner ring on three different occasions without the early access presales. :)