Author Topic: U2 is done  (Read 14816 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: U2 is done
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see U2 at a point where there are 2 paths to go by. The Rolling Stones path (release album every 5 years, the music is good but not great like earlier stuff cause if you're not working at it regularly then it suffers, huge tour, rinse/repeat) or go down the Springsteen path (always making music, some albums bigger then others, every album doesn't need a big tour). U2 has already started the Stones route but there is time to go back. If they don't go back I hope they decide to call it a day. I don't want them to become the Stones.

U2 won't make an album without a tour because that would require too much effort for the probable financial rewards.  They could, however, go on a tour without a new album, and that really would mean going down the Stones road.  Of course, they could make an album followed by a tour, where the new album and tour are thematically unconnected.  So, for example, they could conceive an experimental album without any considerations of translating it to the live stage constraining them, and then just do a hits/back catalogue tour with maybe a few new songs being played here and there.  That's the path I hope they take.

I'm not saying to stop touring all together. You're right; they make big $ touring and making money is a big part of the game for them. I'm just saying scale the tours back. An example of what i'm talking about.

April: Release album
May - July: tour Europe
August - November: tour North America
December - break

Jan - Feb: break
April - June: write songs/record demos
July - August: break
Sept - November: write songs/ record album
December: break

January - February: break/begin rehearsing
March: release album
April: tour Australia and Japan
May: tour South America
June: break
July - August: tour major European cities
Sept - November: tour major North American cities
December: break

This type of model will still allow them to tour and make money, but not the 2 year tour that takes another year to plan and basically keeps them 4 -5 years apart on the albums. This model is kinda similar to what Springsteen does. There's usually new material from him every few years and he's playing/writing regularly so he's not losing his chops. If U2 still wanted a bunch of side projects and years off at a time then obviously this wouldn't work; but if that's more important then the band and their music then in my mind it's time for them to call it a day anyways.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
As JTBaby says, U2 have a contract to fulfil so they will release another record definitely. R.E.M plodded on way past their sell by date to fulfil their contract and split up immediately after their last album was released.

U2 are done as a vital creative band yes - they're not done as a money making machine.

The interesting thing is that R.E.M's last album was their best album since 1996 IMHO.

I have faith that U2 can still deliver in the studio.

I think U2 can deliver good songs/albums also. Bono and Edge are good enough songwriters that they can do "good" very easily. The question is can they do "great" anymore? In my opinion No Line was filled with some good songs but only 1 great song (Moment of Surrender) and 1 song pretty close to great (No Line). The Spiderman songs were pretty far from great also. Maybe they need to lock themselves away in a house in the middle of no where with just the 4 of them; forget about plays, real estate, clothing lines, speeches, yellow pants, vacations, acting, stage designs, etc... and just play together with no distractions and see if they can create great songs/album again.

Offline lorijane

• Up With the Sun
  • Don't be a d**k
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Whenever I hear "U2 is done" I think of this inspirational running quote:

Said Aouita
 -Those who say that I will lose and am finished will have to run over my body to beat me.

I just saw Bruce Springsteen give a kick ar*e concert at 63.  I think Bono and the boys have a few good years left in them.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • Still running
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »
Wow,some of you make it sound like waiting for a new U2 material is all you have in this world.Don't you have a life to live or something? Dunno,I consider myself as a pretty hardcore fan,but I'm willing to wait whatever amount of time they need.It's like the band is not allowed to have any other life or projects etc.All they have to do is deliver.And then those complainers will complain again,cos the material is crap. Don't get it.Peace.

Pretty much. There's no pleasing many of the fans anymore. They complain when we don't get any new music and then complain when we do. They always state that the new album is, "Their best since Achtung Baby!" and then later bash it endlessly for years until the next release, where the same pattern continues. Fans are free to think what they want but many of them come off as ungrateful. You can't please everyone, I suppose.

I understand that the waiting is hard, especially since we've heard news about a new album since summer of 2009 and nothing substantial has since turned up. Still, there's not much we can do but wait and trust the band to make the music they want to make in their own time.

I take these opportunities between albums and tours to delve into other artists; find a new artist or album to tide you over and you'll be amazed at how pleasant it makes the waiting experience. Over the last few years I've become a huge fan of The Shins, Bloc Party, The Gaslight Anthem, Metric, Arctic Monkeys, and many others, simply from making time.

I know the waiting sucks but finding new music and hobbies to distract you from it makes it much easier. :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:58:01 PM by ZooStation42 »

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:39 AM »
As JTBaby says, U2 have a contract to fulfil so they will release another record definitely. R.E.M plodded on way past their sell by date to fulfil their contract and split up immediately after their last album was released.

U2 are done as a vital creative band yes - they're not done as a money making machine.

The interesting thing is that R.E.M's last album was their best album since 1996 IMHO.

I have faith that U2 can still deliver in the studio.

It wasn't bad but like U2, R.E.M's golden period was some way behind them. And Michael Stipe looked better in eyeliner.

Either way my forecast is they will release how ever many albums are left in their contract - I would imagine these will be rather average affairs with hints of what they used to be capable of.

Offline StickOnTattoos

• Stateless
  • Thats all there is/leaves thatr green turn t brown
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
If U2 broke up every time their fans thought they were going to, we never would have even gotten to War.

give us a little credit; after Boy, Bono and Edge made a legitimate attemp to leave the band. or even did quit the band.

Offline miryclay

• Desert Rose
  • TOR 1&2, MONTREAL 1,3,4
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
They'll be back

Offline jc619er

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »
I would love a new album but I don't really see that too soon. I'm happy that they have been giving us nice live CDs and a cool book about the tour that's about to come out. To me that at least keeps their product going. And if they don't release another album, I can't say that I'd be too upset. They've had a great run and to go out on a tour like they just had would be pretty great for such a legendary band. I'd rather that then them end up a novelty group that's still holding on when they're way too old.

Nanda360

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
My guess is that you wanted to caught someone's attention or you're having a rebel moment awaiting for the new album.  I'm sure that deep in your heart you don't believe in your own statement.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:35:22 PM by Nanda360 »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
I think they have to make a great album or that's it. If they don't find greatness then they won't release anything, simple as that. They need to feel rejuvenated again and the music has to reflect that. It's about finding the other place, the new territory, again.

It is obvious in retrospect that no line on the horizon was a multitude of songs from U2's career, trying to appeal to all fans but ultimately it didn't work. Every shade from the past is covered and yes there is debatably some new ground but it doesn't feel new, doesn't feel like new territory, at least to me.

The closest song in terms of this is arguably Fez - being born. The question the band need to ask themselves is do we want new territory again? It's talked about in from the sky down where Bono talks about rejecting a part of the band to take on another. I think when they commit to doing this it works. Let's hope greatness is found.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:48:10 PM by eddyjedi »

Online jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »
After seeing in another thread the rankings of musicians, and one of the top is a former Pink Floyd member who tours playing "The Wall" from start to finish, I think U2 will never be done.

When their new ideas will have run dry, or if any band member will retire, whoever remains can always do a concept tour and play an album start to finish and then make a ton of money doing it, even in their old age when they are washed up and no more younger fans.

Who needs the younger fans anyway when it is the older fans who have the spending power.

U2 can be pushing 70 years old and still being among the richest musicians as long as they stay active (which does not necessarily mean record new songs).

Cheers,

J

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »
I can reassure fans that u2 are certainly by no means done .I happen to know somebody who works very closely with them (no names mentioned) and next year will be a very busy year for the band both touring and recording output. And from all accounts the new album is a major departure that will raise a few eyebrows !watch this space....

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »
I can reassure fans that u2 are certainly by no means done .I happen to know somebody who works very closely with them (no names mentioned) and next year will be a very busy year for the band both touring and recording output. And from all accounts the new album is a major departure that will raise a few eyebrows !watch this space....

Well, let's hope the departure isn't anything like the Tiesto reworking of Pride

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »

Hm... New poster... with very interesting information...

Not sure if I should believe you or not  :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »

A new poster with a source "who works very closely with them"?

Welcome to the forum Adam Clayton. :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:21:57 PM by Tumbling Dice »