Author Topic: Bono and The Edge Working On New Songs!  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
Re: Bono and The Edge Working On New Songs!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
What's the point of writing new songs for a musical which is apparently doing quite well at the box office with the songs it already has? The thought to "never change a winning team" should apply to this successful musical as well. I guess they could only make the musical worse by adding additional songs taking up more time, thereby weakening the arc of suspense. I mean it's a musical, not an album of unrelated tunes where you could add a few without changing the whole thing much.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
My guess is that if the album sold better than expected (anyone know?) they might want to do a quick re-release with some new stuff on it.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 04:27:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A Broadway Musical is musically diverse and pushing the envelope?

There's a lot of money in that racket.

Bono & The Edge are simply going where the money is.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
What's the point of writing new songs for a musical which is apparently doing quite well at the box office with the songs it already has? The thought to "never change a winning team" should apply to this successful musical as well. I guess they could only make the musical worse by adding additional songs taking up more time, thereby weakening the arc of suspense. I mean it's a musical, not an album of unrelated tunes where you could add a few without changing the whole thing much.

Last I heard, Spiderman: the Musical was going on an arena tour of Europe. Maybe the show's producers want a few more songs that can rock a big space? That's my guess, anyway.

Offline U2Fan

• Refugee
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
Bottom line...Spidey is easy money for Bono and Edge.  A U2 album is hard work and album sales are weak

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Yay.......an arena tour for Europe !

;)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

;)

"honey, where are we vacationing this year?"
"you want to catch Spiderman in Europe?"
"let's just stay home"

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »

An arena tour until, that is, Paul McGuinness gets the idea that they’re wasting their energies performing the musical for 10,000 folks a night when they could be performing it for 70,000.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »

;)

"honey, where are we vacationing this year?"
"you want to catch Spiderman in Europe?"
"let's just stay home"

HA!

Offline Chip

• Numb
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
Judging from band trends since ATYCLB (actually, even POP), always add about six months onto any band insider's declaration of the next album's release date. Spring 2014 already was far more realistic than Fall 2013, and the Spiderman work makes this even more likely now (although I hope I'm wrong).

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
This is probably right - the fact they are working on Spider-man again could indicate that the next U2 album is indeed (almost) ready but, as others have said, it is too early to release it at the moment as they don't want to tour yet.

Also, what do others think about the timing of their next tour also being driven by those of other bands next year - for example, IF the Stones announce a tour for 2013 (plus Springsteen / Killers / Muse are already doing stadium tours next year) I really can't see U2 touring as well until the Stones are finished - which again points to U2 touring in 2014, with the album release Oct / Nov next year.

I gotta disagree with you about the tour. This year Springsteen toured the same time when Paul McCartney did and the same time Roger Waters was selling out stadiums. McCartney played in my city last Sunday, and Springsteen played Monday and still sold out every seat in the building. U2 are big enough that they certainly don't have to worry about Muse or the Killers, and there's still enough room for big acts like the Stones and U2 to tour in the same year.

Yes... I don't think there is much of a danger of overlap.  How many people would want to go to multiple shows like that but wouldn't if they were all going at the same time.  I typically budget my touring a bit by act rather than by time because when you wait 5 years between tours, I'm not going to let the odd coincidence of 3 of my favorite acts touring at once stop me, except if they happened to choose the same day to play in my area.