Author Topic: Bono and The Edge Working On New Songs!  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
Bono and The Edge Working On New Songs!
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »
....for the Spider-Man musical.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For f*** sake.

Offline Jono

• Numb
Re: Bono and The Edge Working On New Songs!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
mean Droo, mean :)
seriously??? why why why spidey, why???

not even a song of 'One's' quality or even 'Streets' could save that bomb of a show!!!

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »
What bothers me the most about this is they write songs at a snail's pace as it is. This will inevitably hold up new material for an actual U2 release.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »
Bono rearranging a few lyrics on his laptop while chatting to The Edge and Kofi over a coffee could be classed as "working on new songs."

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
30 years from now when i'm holding my grandson on my lap and telling him stories of my youth and he asks me when exactly did U2 jump the shark, I think the answer may be "Well little Timmy, you know that toy Spiderman that you like to play with? Well, Saint Bono and his friend the Edge decided that they would put aside the greatest rock n roll band ever to work on a Spiderman play. And then they kept on working on it, and working on it, and on and on it went..."

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »
I genuinely thought autumn 2013 was realistic for the next u2 album. Given how spiderman messed with their last attempt at a post-noth album, i think spring 2014 is the earliest we'll see anything :(

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Their plans for the start of the next tour will have the biggest bearing on the release date of their new album.

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
30 years from now when i'm holding my grandson on my lap and telling him stories of my youth and he asks me when exactly did U2 jump the shark, I think the answer may be "Well little Timmy, you know that toy Spiderman that you like to play with? Well, Saint Bono and his friend the Edge decided that they would put aside the greatest rock n roll band ever to work on a Spiderman play. And then they kept on working on it, and working on it, and on and on it went..."

Sob...I think I could agree with this. Boys - PLEASE give me reason not to.  :'(

I'm still aiming for a Bucket List check off and a Summer 2014 trip to Dublin to see them play their new album at Slane!

Offline Smee

• Desert Rose
  • Controversial, but true!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
I genuinely thought autumn 2013 was realistic for the next u2 album. Given how spiderman messed with their last attempt at a post-noth album, i think spring 2014 is the earliest we'll see anything :(

Everything considered, i still think its likely we will see an album from u2 sept -nov 2013

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »

Everything considered, i still think its likely we will see an album from u2 sept -nov 2013

Yeah, maybe i'm exaggerating the time they'll spend on the musical. After all, it says they're writing new songs, not completely transforming the entire score. Come to think of it, i remember Bono and Edge writing 2 new tracks for the 'revamped' version of spiderman (i think one of them was 'freak like me'), and the space between them announcing it and the songs actually being premiered was not too long.

It also occurs to me (so i agree with tumbling dice) that tour dates will probably have a greater say in when the next album comes out. I'm of the opinion that the main reason u2 haven't put out an album/worked properly on it yet is that it hasn't been long enough since 360 ended for there to be demand for a tour. And since u2 albums and tours always go together, they likely won't release anything until that demand exists again... and they might have enough material already (at the very least, they should have a massive head start - there's at least 2 years worth of danger mouse material alone).

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
This is probably right - the fact they are working on Spider-man again could indicate that the next U2 album is indeed (almost) ready but, as others have said, it is too early to release it at the moment as they don't want to tour yet.

Also, what do others think about the timing of their next tour also being driven by those of other bands next year - for example, IF the Stones announce a tour for 2013 (plus Springsteen / Killers / Muse are already doing stadium tours next year) I really can't see U2 touring as well until the Stones are finished - which again points to U2 touring in 2014, with the album release Oct / Nov next year.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
This is probably right - the fact they are working on Spider-man again could indicate that the next U2 album is indeed (almost) ready but, as others have said, it is too early to release it at the moment as they don't want to tour yet.

Also, what do others think about the timing of their next tour also being driven by those of other bands next year - for example, IF the Stones announce a tour for 2013 (plus Springsteen / Killers / Muse are already doing stadium tours next year) I really can't see U2 touring as well until the Stones are finished - which again points to U2 touring in 2014, with the album release Oct / Nov next year.

I gotta disagree with you about the tour. This year Springsteen toured the same time when Paul McCartney did and the same time Roger Waters was selling out stadiums. McCartney played in my city last Sunday, and Springsteen played Monday and still sold out every seat in the building. U2 are big enough that they certainly don't have to worry about Muse or the Killers, and there's still enough room for big acts like the Stones and U2 to tour in the same year.

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:23 PM »
And Muse and The Killers aren't touring the US too much, especially Muse.

Offline ian ryan

• Numb
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
To quote the immortal Bill the Cat: Ack! Ack ack ack! Ack thppppt ack urgh ack thpppptt!!!

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:56 AM »

Yip I agree with Smee on this - still opportunity for the back end of next year