Author Topic: U2 vs Radiohead  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: U2 vs Radiohead
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great, great, great band. Easily the best band to come out of the UK in the last 20 years.

Blur are close contenders.

They should be, but the sheer amount of commercials they have done is big mark against them for me. The music on it's own merits puts them up there though. 

They've gotta earn and put food on the table, even if Alex James grows his own.

If that were true Dice, I'd have no problem with it.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »
Great, great, great band. Easily the best band to come out of the UK in the last 20 years.

Blur are close contenders.

They should be, but the sheer amount of commercials they have done is big mark against them for me. The music on it's own merits puts them up there though. 

They've gotta earn and put food on the table, even if Alex James grows his own.

If that were true Dice, I'd have no problem with it.

It is.  It's not cheap living a rock star lifestyle these days, you know.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
:)

Offline KenpoMatt

• Stateless
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »
I respect the work Radiohead have done and the audience they have built for themselves, but I've tried time and time again, but simply can't connect to their music.

I've actually been sincerely disappointed each time I try because so many of my friends were / are so hooked on them and I feel like I'm always missing out, but like I said, I just can't find that connection point with their music. I generally prefer the "non radio" U2 hits such as A Sort of Homecoming Zoo Station or Daddy's Gonna Pay....etc, so I don't feel I'm looking for "pop" or "fluff" songs of theirs to get hooked, but I just can't get into them.

For what its worth, I do find interviews with Radiohead interesting to read / watch.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
I respect the work Radiohead have done and the audience they have built for themselves, but I've tried time and time again, but simply can't connect to their music.

I've actually been sincerely disappointed each time I try because so many of my friends were / are so hooked on them and I feel like I'm always missing out, but like I said, I just can't find that connection point with their music. I generally prefer the "non radio" U2 hits such as A Sort of Homecoming Zoo Station or Daddy's Gonna Pay....etc, so I don't feel I'm looking for "pop" or "fluff" songs of theirs to get hooked, but I just can't get into them.

For what its worth, I do find interviews with Radiohead interesting to read / watch.

Why feel frustrated by it?  I can't get into Led Zep, and I know people who can't get into Prince's music.  Each to their own.

Offline AJ

• Desert Rose
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »

I got into Radiohead by listening to Pablo Honey. Everyone says its their worst record but its more my style of music than all their albums after that.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Stateless
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

Why feel frustrated by it?  I can't get into Led Zep, and I know people who can't get into Prince's music.  Each to their own.

Agreed. I've actually had the same problem with Led Zep myself lol.

satellitedog01

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

1. Radiohead didn't write a novelty song. It being perceived as that has nothing to do with them. If U2 released 'Stop Whispering' this place would turn into the Ewok village at the end of Return Of The Jedi. 

Thank you for the image and the following LOL :-DDD

After I stopped laughing, I pondered the weighty statement, listened to "Stop Whispering" and concluded, would U2 come up with that song today, the mainstream-radiofriendly-U2 fans would be picking up their jaws and taking out the stormtrooper helmets.
But it doesn't compare to U2-prime. It is intense, but way too "sub-someAmericanindieband", and reminds me of an early On A Friday demo, which sounded like U2 lite.

To answer the original question, we are comparing Banana Co-s with Lemons, the sweet meat with Melon, stolen honey with vegetables.

The two bands resonate with very different tastes, often in the same person, like it happened with me.

I fell in love with U2's big anthems as a child and pre-teen, and I grew out of those after Pop, keeping their more intriguing, complex and darker material close, and started appreciating the more subtle musicality and brooding intensity of post OK Computer Radiohead once I got used to Yorke's whiny voice. I hated them for that voice for years.

I still don't care for their pop-rock years (Computer is the earliest I love, and it is of course a pop-rock record, but it's just too perfect in shape and content to ignore, and many of those songs get to me).

Another big difference is U2's current, prolonged state of creative stagnancy - compared to Radiohead's constant evolution (for better or worse, the answer's in the ear of the beholder). Which doesn't mean U2 wasn't a great example of artistic growth, they just turned a dead-end at some point (likely when they started chasing the perfect pop-song).

Radiohead chose not to write anthemic music anymore, at least not in the mainstream sense of the word. U2 chose to ditch intensity in favour of joy.
In case they somehow find their way back into the heart of darkness, I'll be on board once again.

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
I would take Kid A or In Rainbows over any U2 album since Achtung Baby

Overall, I don't know. My experience with Radiohead has been more personal, so I'm somewhat biased

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Radiohead wrote an early 90's hit song, "Creep." It was big and they tried to replicate the success to no avail in their future releases.

They hid under their shell, wrote songs in the guise of "alternative music" so that they no longer had to deal with the burden of expectations.

Their music is derivative but well-disguised as being original because the tunes are intentionally inaccessible.

So I applaud them for avoiding becoming a joke like one-hit-wonder bands of their generation: Ugly Kid Joe (Everything About You), Deep Blue Something (Breakfast At Tiffany's), Dishwalla (Counting Blue Cars), Collective Soul (Shine), Candlebox (Far Behind), Soul Asylum (Runaway Train).

Radiohead actually took the easy way out, and earned fans along the way with their pretentiousness disguised as artistic integrity.

U2, on the other hand, took the fight straight to the belly of the beast. They did not shy away even when it seemed they were starting to lose relevance with POP, which came off the heels of their Grammy for Best Alternative Album won by Zooropa.  U2 have shown with Zooropa that they can play Radiohead's game, but then they did not run away to a shell and fear failure by trying to go full-time alternative. Instead, U2 continued their dominance of stadiums, album sales, and awards.

This thread is quite amusing for me though. When U2 are mentioned in the same sentence with inferior musical acts who hardly share the same musical and artistic values as the band - it always gives me a chuckle.

Cheers,

J

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »
See TD. THIS is how you troll !!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Radiohead wrote an early 90's hit song, "Creep." It was big and they tried to replicate the success to no avail in their future releases.

They hid under their shell, wrote songs in the guise of "alternative music" so that they no longer had to deal with the burden of expectations.

Their music is derivative but well-disguised as being original because the tunes are intentionally inaccessible.

So I applaud them for avoiding becoming a joke like one-hit-wonder bands of their generation: Ugly Kid Joe (Everything About You), Deep Blue Something (Breakfast At Tiffany's), Dishwalla (Counting Blue Cars), Collective Soul (Shine), Candlebox (Far Behind), Soul Asylum (Runaway Train).

Radiohead actually took the easy way out, and earned fans along the way with their pretentiousness disguised as artistic integrity.

U2, on the other hand, took the fight straight to the belly of the beast. They did not shy away even when it seemed they were starting to lose relevance with POP, which came off the heels of their Grammy for Best Alternative Album won by Zooropa.  U2 have shown with Zooropa that they can play Radiohead's game, but then they did not run away to a shell and fear failure by trying to go full-time alternative. Instead, U2 continued their dominance of stadiums, album sales, and awards.

This thread is quite amusing for me though. When U2 are mentioned in the same sentence with inferior musical acts who hardly share the same musical and artistic values as the band - it always gives me a chuckle.

Cheers,

J

Is that how the band explained it to you? Thanks for sharing.

::)

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »

No explanation from the band as I don't know them personally.

This is just my educated opinion and hypothesis based on observations about Radiohead's music.

But for obvious reasons, I follow U2's career more closely so believe myself to be an authority on U2 facts, but on Radiohead I am just an observer - never been a fan.

So I share my opinion the is relevant to the topic on this thread.

Cheers,

J

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 08:21:36 PM »

No explanation from the band as I don't know them personally.

This is just my educated opinion and hypothesis based on observations about Radiohead's music.

But for obvious reasons, I follow U2's career more closely so believe myself to be an authority on U2 facts, but on Radiohead I am just an observer - never been a fan.

So I share my opinion the is relevant to the topic on this thread.

Cheers,

J

So once again you are presenting conjecture as fact. I don't understand how you can continue to do it when it is dishonest and you are continually called out on it. Maybe you like the negative attention.  :-\

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
Radiohead didn't write a novelty song. It being perceived as that has nothing to do with them. If U2 released 'Stop Whispering' this place would turn into the Ewok village at the end of Return Of The Jedi. 

Fitting you mentioned RotJ, as Stop Whispering (and all post-OK Computer Radiohead) is to U2 as RotJ is to The Empire Strikes Back.