Author Topic: ATYCLB lovers thread  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: ATYCLB lovers thread
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In ATYCLB, U2 stripped down and showcased their being a 4-piece band.  They played music that can be brought to the road and played live.

In what way did they become a four piece band again on ATYCLB?  The liner notes show the musical involvement of far more than four people in the production of the album.  And I don’t see how replacing the vibrant colours of Pop for the monochrome textures of ATYCLB represents a ‘stripping down’ of their sound.  They also played more songs from Pop on the PopMart tour than they played from ATYCLB on the Elevation tour.

Storytelling is not Bono's strongest writing suit and that should be left to other songwriters, or you will get junk like Cedars of Lebanon.

It’s curious how Bono’s storytelling resulted in two of the very best U2 songs in over a decade in Cedars of Lebanon and Moment of Surrender.

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
In what way did they become a four piece band again on ATYCLB?  The liner notes show the musical involvement of far more than four people in the production of the album.  And I don’t see how replacing the vibrant colours of Pop for the monochrome textures of ATYCLB represents a ‘stripping down’ of their sound.  They also played more songs from Pop on the PopMart tour than they played from ATYCLB on the Elevation tour.

It’s curious how Bono’s storytelling resulted in two of the very best U2 songs in over a decade in Cedars of Lebanon and Moment of Surrender.

U2 marketed themselves as "four musicians in one room" or "11 songs we can take on the road" for the ATYCLB era.  The major sounds of the songs were playable live, from the quintessential riff of Beautiful Day to the crunchy guitars of Elevation.  The "bare bones" or essence of the U2 songs were once again capable of being reproduced live.

During POP, the loud bass that is essential to Mofo was pre-recorded. Mofo was also had double track drumming in the album - not being reproduced live.  Gone had this high pitched backing sound similar to a sharp airplane but never played live by The Edge, where he instead chose to play chords. Staring At The Sun became all acoustic. If God Will Send His Angels became a 30 second rant before being eliminated from the setlist. Miami was not the band but just the backing drum loop machine for most of the song up until Edge's "bombastic" guitars came in. Velvet Dress was nothing like the studio version, and the same can be said for Discotheque which was stripped down.  In short, POP could not really be played live.

With ATYCLB, U2 went hard against the tide of computer generated music and drum machines.  While they still employed this "studio magic tricks" to their songs, for this album the focus was on the band.  This was an era when "hip hop drove the big cars" and the "new media" which was mp3's.  This was an era when hand-played music by four musicians in a real band was threatened to become extinct.  U2 fought against what was popular that day, took the fight straight to the boy bands and manufactured pop of that time - and came out with the daring and gutsy ATYCLB.

From trying so hard to make music that was to be accepted by the general public during the POP era by adding all these Prodigy/Chemical Brothers studio applications to their songs which detracted from the 4-piece band essence, U2 decided to not live a "fake" life of POP and just be who they really are in ATYCLB.  Sometimes the most difficult reinvention is to be yourself - to dig down deep into your soul and find out who you are.  That is similar to what happened in the Achtung Baby era, when U2 were facing internal strife that they had to dig deep within themselves and bear their soul.

POP was just a miscalculated abuse of position.  It was more like: "hey we just made the biggest tour in rock history with Zoo TV and we are rich now, why not let's go bigger witha  bigger screen?" It was like: "we are U2, we can do no wrong, let's just rehash some of our leftover songs and add some trip-hop, jungle, techno elements to it, the public will love it because we are U2, besides this is the hot music of this era."  POP was recorded with the intention to sell a gazillion copies.  But history has shown, U2 greatly miscalculated with that album.  I say rehash of leftover songs because Velvet Dress and Wake up Dead Man have been around since the Zooropa era.

POP tried so hard to gain public acceptance and commercial success but they failed miserably.  POP owns the record among all the U2 albums to have the most singles released from it.  If POP were truly an "alternative" or "artistic" tour de force, would U2 have gone desperate release virtually every song off the album as a single?  The end result was commercial failure, and just because U2 failed in achieving their goal - the POP fans are quick to rewrite history and say U2 were pushing the envelope.  The only thing U2 did was push the play button on their old working songs, rehash them, and add some music elements that were prevalent and trendy during that time.

ATYCLB had U2 saying "let us be U2."  It had Edge saying on the riff of Beautiful Day during the recording sessions: "F*** off, I don't care if it sounds too U2-ish, I am U2!". Normally, in art and music, success is achieved when you just become true to yourself and not try to be something you're not.  Even in the tour, they did not just say they will go bigger and naturally progress from their previous tour.  They built it from scratch with an arena setting and dream it all up over again.

That is why I am an ATYCLB-lover.  U2 pushed the limits of what U2 is about, and set the path straight again.

Cheers,

J

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:01 PM »
I like jick, I think he’s a valuable member of this forum, and I think many of his posts make for interesting reading.  Simply because many people here on the forum disagree with his views, it doesn’t justify labelling him a ‘troll’, or treating him contemptuously, especially since his posts are invariably polite and good natured.

He is entitled to his views, of course and his own opinions, however I do not think he is polite in hi post at at all. He thinks he is the most knowledgeable U2 fan there is and that he has to educate people regarding everything about the band. I have been a U2 fan since Jick was in diapers, I don't need him, or anyone else to tell me I an not a 'real' fan of the band that has been a part of my life for 30+ years.

Cheers,

Zoost

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »

U2 marketed themselves as "four musicians in one room" or "11 songs we can take on the road" for the ATYCLB era.  The major sounds of the songs were playable live, from the quintessential riff of Beautiful Day to the crunchy guitars of Elevation.  The "bare bones" or essence of the U2 songs were once again capable of being reproduced live.

During POP, the loud bass that is essential to Mofo was pre-recorded. Mofo was also had double track drumming in the album - not being reproduced live.  Gone had this high pitched backing sound similar to a sharp airplane but never played live by The Edge, where he instead chose to play chords. Staring At The Sun became all acoustic. If God Will Send His Angels became a 30 second rant before being eliminated from the setlist. Miami was not the band but just the backing drum loop machine for most of the song up until Edge's "bombastic" guitars came in. Velvet Dress was nothing like the studio version, and the same can be said for Discotheque which was stripped down.  In short, POP could not really be played live.

With ATYCLB, U2 went hard against the tide of computer generated music and drum machines.  While they still employed this "studio magic tricks" to their songs, for this album the focus was on the band.  This was an era when "hip hop drove the big cars" and the "new media" which was mp3's.  This was an era when hand-played music by four musicians in a real band was threatened to become extinct.  U2 fought against what was popular that day, took the fight straight to the boy bands and manufactured pop of that time - and came out with the daring and gutsy ATYCLB.

From trying so hard to make music that was to be accepted by the general public during the POP era by adding all these Prodigy/Chemical Brothers studio applications to their songs which detracted from the 4-piece band essence, U2 decided to not live a "fake" life of POP and just be who they really are in ATYCLB.  Sometimes the most difficult reinvention is to be yourself - to dig down deep into your soul and find out who you are.  That is similar to what happened in the Achtung Baby era, when U2 were facing internal strife that they had to dig deep within themselves and bear their soul.

POP was just a miscalculated abuse of position.  It was more like: "hey we just made the biggest tour in rock history with Zoo TV and we are rich now, why not let's go bigger witha  bigger screen?" It was like: "we are U2, we can do no wrong, let's just rehash some of our leftover songs and add some trip-hop, jungle, techno elements to it, the public will love it because we are U2, besides this is the hot music of this era."  POP was recorded with the intention to sell a gazillion copies.  But history has shown, U2 greatly miscalculated with that album.  I say rehash of leftover songs because Velvet Dress and Wake up Dead Man have been around since the Zooropa era.

POP tried so hard to gain public acceptance and commercial success but they failed miserably.  POP owns the record among all the U2 albums to have the most singles released from it.  If POP were truly an "alternative" or "artistic" tour de force, would U2 have gone desperate release virtually every song off the album as a single?  The end result was commercial failure, and just because U2 failed in achieving their goal - the POP fans are quick to rewrite history and say U2 were pushing the envelope.  The only thing U2 did was push the play button on their old working songs, rehash them, and add some music elements that were prevalent and trendy during that time.

ATYCLB had U2 saying "let us be U2."  It had Edge saying on the riff of Beautiful Day during the recording sessions: "F*** off, I don't care if it sounds too U2-ish, I am U2!". Normally, in art and music, success is achieved when you just become true to yourself and not try to be something you're not.  Even in the tour, they did not just say they will go bigger and naturally progress from their previous tour.  They built it from scratch with an arena setting and dream it all up over again.

That is why I am an ATYCLB-lover.  U2 pushed the limits of what U2 is about, and set the path straight again.

Cheers,

J

In your opinion.

My opinion is different, and I'm sticking to it.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »
FINALLY!

Someone else thinks ATYCLB is U2's best!
Yup! Glad also to here I'm not the only one. IALW is one of the best U2 songs ever made. Bono sang it with so much feeling and The Edge's guitar parts and Daniel Lanois' guitar parts complement each other perfectly.

Ok, I won't go out on a limb that far and say IALW is one of their best, but I will say that the Elevation Tour version of In A Little While is one of their best live renditions of all time.

That said, Beautiful Day is my all time favorite song, regardless of artist.  Walk On, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment, Kite and New York are probably all in my top 30 U2 songs as well. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »
FINALLY!

Yup! Glad also to here I'm not the only one. IALW is one of the best U2 songs ever made. Bono sang it with so much feeling and The Edge's guitar parts and Daniel Lanois' guitar parts complement each other perfectly.

Ok, I won't go out on a limb that far and say IALW is one of their best, but I will say that the Elevation Tour version of In A Little While is one of their best live renditions of all time.

That said, Beautiful Day is my all time favorite song, regardless of artist.  Walk On, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment, Kite and New York are probably all in my top 30 U2 songs as well. 

Careful, OAP, carry on like that and people will start calling you a troll.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2012, 06:25:36 AM »
Just to clarify, I personally don't have a problem with anybody's opinion on here, far from it, that's a ridiculous notion. My oldest and closest friends HATE U2 with a passion so I'm hardly going to have an issue with a person for loving one piece of work more than another.

He is what he is and he's very, very, very good at it. Livia Soprano eat your heart out.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 11:32:26 AM »
FINALLY!

Why all this troll talk?

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
FINALLY!

Why all this troll talk?

He is ripping on me OAP, don't worry about it.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
I just can't believe people continually rise to Jick's bait, it's pretty damn funny. Stop wasting your time arguing with someone who's taking the p*** out of you.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Up With the Sun
  • The truth never set me free so I did it myself
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
I just can't believe people continually rise to Jick's bait, it's pretty damn funny. Stop wasting your time arguing with someone who's taking the p*** out of you.
could you imagine this forum without new album/tour news OR Jick.

would be so boring

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face every time the album is delayed
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
Actually, there is a lot of production elements on ATYCLB that was influenced from Pop.

Take New York for example.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
Yes. Take it. It's crap.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
In A Little While is a fine little ditty. It is everything it aspires to be. I don't mind Wild Honey either.

I agree. In A Little While (along with Kite) is the best song on the album. I've actually been told by a few non-U2 fans that In A Little While is U2's best song. A girl I dated back then said the only U2 song she could listen to was "that one that sounds like a 60's soul song". It ended up being In A Little While that she was talking about.

ATYCLB is kind of a mixed bag. They aimed at returning to the charts with a more radio friendly album and they achieved it, but for me it's no where near the album Pop is. I love half of it (Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, Kite, In A Little While, Wild Honey), a few songs I like but don't love anymore (Walk On, Elevation, Grace, When I Look at the World) and a few songs I'd be happy to never hear again (New York, Peace on Earth).

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
Yes. Take it. It's crap.

Completely agree JTBaby. New York is on the short list of U2's worst songs.