Author Topic: Music of 2013  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
Re: Music of 2013
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Daft Punk likely to release something in 2013

:)

This makes my year.

I can't explain how excited I am for this  ;D ;D

Online AJ

• Desert Rose
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
Imagine Dragons has potential. They desperately need a new producer though.
I think they're quite pleased with themselves and their association with Alex da Kid, if that's what you mean. That genre-fusing (heavy-handed, I'd call it) crossover sound has helped them get attention from more than just the alt and indie rock crowds.  But yeah, I'm not a big fan of that aspect of their album.
Imagine Dragons is overrated and I don't get the hype. The singer is so generic and boring. Not very original. I think they're just a fad, they wont last

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
I think they're quite pleased with themselves and their association with Alex da Kid, if that's what you mean. That genre-fusing (heavy-handed, I'd call it) crossover sound has helped them get attention from more than just the alt and indie rock crowds.  But yeah, I'm not a big fan of that aspect of their album.
Imagine Dragons is overrated and I don't get the hype. The singer is so generic and boring. Not very original. I think they're just a fad, they wont last
I'm going to wait to catch a show before I hand in my final verdict on that one. Word from a few friends who've been lucky enough to get tickets is that the show is awesome.  They're at one of my festivals this summer, so I'll take copious notes and report back  ;)

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »

They're not unoriginal...last time I checked, Imagine Dragons was one of the first bands to mix alt rock and synthpop and do it well. It's like if those Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park rap-rock catastrophes actually worked.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
Wait wait wait...I need clarification here: blending alt rock and synth pop?  Don't we have another band from Las Vegas that's been doing that since 2004 ;)?  Sure, the role of that synth has been muted lately, but it's still there.

I feel like the hip hop influenced elements of Imagine Dragons are entirely different from a band taking on synth pop characteristics. Synth infusion can completely rock when done correctly, and I feel like it's a much more acceptable addition. The opening track of that new Atlas Genius album ("Electric") is all over synthy and amazing. And don't even get me started on synths in The Wombats' second album (<3).  I guess the reason I'm so okay with the synths is because I've heard them work more often than not.  That's why I wouldn't lump them together with the rap/rock combo stuff.

Completely agree with you on the general discomfort caused by Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park (weird that they both went with racy spelling, eh?).

Online AJ

• Desert Rose
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

They're not unoriginal...last time I checked, Imagine Dragons was one of the first bands to mix alt rock and synthpop and do it well. It's like if those Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park rap-rock catastrophes actually worked.
They are not one of the first. All these bands did it in their own unique way. Imagine Dragons doesn't stand out on the radio
The Killers
Two Door Cinema Club
AWOLNATION (toured with Imagine Dragons)

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »
I've been a bit slack this year so far, but planning over the next couple of weeks to pick up the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds record which I've been hanging for, as well as Arc by Everything Everything, and Jim James' (of My Morning Jacket) solo record "Regions of Light and Sound of God" which is apparently excellent. I'm also keen to pick up the new I Am Kloot record because I've heard it's great and Guy Garvey of Elbow produced it. Oh yeah and need to pick up Atoms for Peace.

The next couple of months will see a new record from Dawes and iconic Aussie band The Drones, both of whom I adore. I'm also hoping for a new Laura Marling record this year.

And yeah, hopefully some new Arcade Fire (and please FFS tour Australia you bastards) and, if they get off their backsides, U2.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
Are Depeche Mode and The Cure considered synth pop? I guess they were kind of "underground" back in the day...

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
Primal Scream has a new song, called 2013.  Hell yeah!

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »
Are Depeche Mode and The Cure considered synth pop? I guess they were kind of "underground" back in the day...

Yea i'd say so but i don't really know them. The Cure is also considered "goth" i hear alot. I guess it's just the bands look that makes them gothy.

Offline CrisSky

• Babyface
  • Hello, I love U2! I am a singer as well.
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
Obviously a U2 album is what I am really looking forward too. I am a Green Day fan and their 3 albums for me were a huge letdown  >:(
Anyways, I am a pop/rock artist myself, and I just released a new E.P. called ON A FALLING STAR. You can check out those songs here ( the first 4 songs are from the E.P. ) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks!

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »
Totally.  This stuff's not new.  In fact, I'd argue that it's back in style now.

Is there someone with more musical hindsight who could tell me when the blending of hip hop and rap elements started making its way into traditionally rockish songs, too? I can't think back any further than Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, as mentioned by AP.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »
Totally.  This stuff's not new.  In fact, I'd argue that it's back in style now.

Is there someone with more musical hindsight who could tell me when the blending of hip hop and rap elements started making its way into traditionally rockish songs, too? I can't think back any further than Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, as mentioned by AP.

Rage Against the Machine. It's not bad...it's just too angry and political for my tastes.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »

Anthrax did a couple of somewhat jokey rap-metal songs in the late '80s, but got serious about it for their '91 collaboration with Public Enemy.

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2013, 11:49:33 PM »

like the Beastie Boys License To Ill and even up to Ill Communication i'd say.