Author Topic: Prediction: Two Albums  (Read 3031 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Prediction: Two Albums
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
There was supposedly a '50-50' chance we would have a new U2 album in 2012. Well, we didn't, despite the fact that they do genuinely appear to have spent a lot of time in the recording studio, and have had various leaks of material being in an advanced stage, from Bono who was confident of a release last year, or Gavin Friday who said the new material was really different, or two leaked audio snippets, or live versions of songs like flowering rose, every breaking wave, north star, stingray guitar, etc., and a reworked Mercy.

So, here is my theory: They have, in their minds, one more decade, one more comeback, before they become a rolling stones-esque  parody of their former selves. So they want it to be perfect. They want it to be another Achtung, Baby moment. In fact, I think they want it to be BETTER. Achtung, Baby is clearly among U2's greatest albums. But they took their reinvented popularity for granted and then released an unfinished album, albiet a great concept album, Zooropa.

This time, I believe they think they can organize a world tour around TWO albums. Album one comes out in 2013, a tour is announced for 2014, and they spend the rest of 2013 preparing for the second album. It makes sense given Bonos comments on having multiple projects in the works, their history of 1-2 album releases (JT/Rattle, Achtung/Zooropa) and the fact that they tried for that, and failed, with NLOTH/Songs of Ascent.

I think we get a 5-star new album in 2013, finally, and a 4-star follow up while the band is on tour in 2014.

That's my guess. I've been wrong before. But I did meet Bono once at a gala in 1984 so I am insider :-)

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
Re: Prediction: Two Albums
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »
I have actually thought at length about this possibility and would like nothing more than for it to become a reality. If pulled off successfully it could do wonders for revitalizing the band's profile - not that they really need it. Seriously though, what are the chances? They are so overly careful now that a two-album-for-one-tour deal just seems so unlikely. Let's pretend for a minute the band is actually considering something along the lines of what you propose. What if that first album isn't received well - or at least not as well as they'd like? Then there's no chance they are going to release that second album without doing some heavy tinkering or going back to the drawing board. With a major tour looming, and people in the U2 camp undoubtedly panicking, they'd most likely just scrap the 2nd album altogether and save some of the songs for future consideration.

I get the sense they are no longer going to try to plan tours with unfinished albums pending. In their minds they got burned doing it that way before, and they'll be much, much(much) more careful since it seems to be their current M.O.(which I think many of us here would agree is unfortunate).

Let me be clear I'm not trying to poke a lot of holes in your prediction since, as I mentioned, I had considered and put some thought into this possibility as well. I really hope they could pull something like this off, but I think we're being a little too unrealistic. There's just too much on their plates these days and they aren't as young as they were in the 80's and 90's. I don't see it happening(unless you've got some inside info????), but believe you me I would love to be proven wrong.

btw, I am totally jealous you got to meet the 1984 Bono.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
One word...

Zydeco

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
zydeco????

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
zydeco????

It's Creole. Damn, now I'm hungry for some Cajun. Does anyone know where a starving mofo can get a good po' boy in san francisco?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
This would be awesome, though I'd be very surprised if it happens. It would definitely make up for these past few years of waiting! :)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »
I was hoping for a double album, with one half being "rock" and one half being "club."

Oh, and maybe each of the four sides could be dominated/written/produced by a different member...

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:13:50 AM »
I don't think we'll get a double album, but when I think about it, it seems there's a good chance we'll a lot of nice b-sides like in the days of yore rather than just remixes, in order to find some means of releasing all the stuff they've already sort of showed their hand with but haven't given a proper release of ("North Star", "Every Breaking Wave", "Mercy", etc.)

smee

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
I was hoping for a double album, with one half being "rock" and one half being "club."

Aged 50+, that would be cringeworthy thing to do, for a once great Rock band

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »

Aged 50+, that would be cringeworthy thing to do, for a once great Rock band

I agree. Men in their 50's who are rock legends don't need to be making "club" albums.

Offline Bonostwin27

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
I predict an 11 song album that you can burn into 2 albums with a 5 song album and a 6 song album of your choice. Stone cold lock!

Offline Bonostwin27

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
Or two 5 song albums and a song you dont like as a b-side.

Offline Bonostwin27

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
And you can speed it up and drink red bull while at a club with your head phones in.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »
I think if there is a club album it will be a limited release edition of the same songs as were on the rock album. And i don't think their club music has been cringe worthy in the past. Club remixes of EBTTRT, Mysterious ways, Vertigo were all good. Only POP was cringe-worthy....and really only discotheque...the rest of pop was quite good

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
I tend to think they just have so much material that two main albums becomes likely...maybe 12-18 months apart...