Author Topic: If They Could Do It Over Again - NLOTH Singles  (Read 1381 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: If They Could Do It Over Again - NLOTH Singles
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:36:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Get On Your Boots" just should have not ever existed. The album would have been considered a classic if "Magnificent" was the lead single, followed by the title track, followed by "Moment of Surrender" and "Stand Up Comedy." "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is ok...I just wish they could have reworked the hook and given it a less cringeworthy (shorter) title...it's so hard to stomach a band of their status with a song named that.

Can't find it anymore, it rocks.

Agreed, just call it Crazy Tonight.

I wish we had the original riff of Stand Up which was on a video of them in at Hanover Quay called 'ten to four in the studio' it remains to this day one of their best recordings.

Where does one find this video?

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
1. Moment of Surrender
2. No Line 2

Online mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
1-Moment of Surender
2-No Line on the Horizon (2)
3-Magnificent
4-I'll Go Crazy...........
5-Breathe
They could all be single edits so U2 could finally get their "mainstream" radio play

No, I want stuff that would only play on Indie and Alt stations for months. Example: Muse's Madness still hasn't crossed over to Top 40 and that's fine by me. Of Monsters and Men's Little Talks took months and months to start playing on Top 40. This.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
NLOTH lacked any song that would have made an impact on the radio or in the charts.

Offline jules

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 05:05:55 AM »
1. Breathe
2. MAG
3. Crazy

Yep singles are not important in terms of sales but I remember when Boots came out and all my friends were sending me messages saying "what do you think of the new U2 song?? I not so sure ??" or "I heard the new U2 song - didn't think much to it" - so to non-U2 fans the first single from a new album is very important since it automatically gets lots of radio airplay.

Also remember U2 got an *amazing* amount of publicity when they played the Grammy and Brit awards as the opening slot.... as well as other TV appearances.

From Wiki:

"However, it [Boots] underperformed in comparison with earlier lead singles from U2s studio albums, peaking at #12 in the UK Singles Chart and making it the first lead traditional format single by the band prior to its parent album release to fail to reach #1 since "With or Without You" in 1987,[34] the first lead single to miss the Top 10 since "Gloria" in 1981,[35] and the worst debut for a U2 single since "If God Will Send His Angels" in 1997.[36] It also broke a string of 14 consecutive UK Top 5 singles for U2. "

As for MAG:

"Magnificent" debuted at #42 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming U2's first domestically-released single to completely miss the UK Top 40 since 1982's "A Celebration" peaked at #47."....

I wonder what U2 and Paul McGuiness thought about that !
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:08:39 AM by jules »

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
Something I just kind of thought about...I think "Get On Your Boots" also suffered from the fact that the title is a very odd-sounding phrase to an American...we would say "get your boots on." (I'm assuming that "get on your boots" is something that would sound natural in Ireland or Britain?)

Offline AchtungPop

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk On
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
1. Breathe
2. Magnificent
3. NLOTH
4. Moment of Surrender

zootv

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
1. NLOTH
2. Magnificent
3. Crazy Tonight
4. MOS
5. Breathe

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
"Get On Your Boots" just should have not ever existed. The album would have been considered a classic if "Magnificent" was the lead single, followed by the title track, followed by "Moment of Surrender" and "Stand Up Comedy."

Bulls#@t

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 06:37:26 PM »
"Get On Your Boots" just should have not ever existed. The album would have been considered a classic if "Magnificent" was the lead single, followed by the title track, followed by "Moment of Surrender" and "Stand Up Comedy."

Bulls#@t

I think they should have just released MOS and nothing else.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

Bulls#@t

Perhaps.  But I firmly believe that there is no combination of singles that could have been released that would have made NLOTH widely considered to be a classic.  Magnificent WAS released and the general reaction was lukewarm at best.  And I do NOT believe that was because Boots was released first.  I simply believe that many people heard Magnificent and said "been there done that".  And I do not think MoS would have set radio airwaves on fire, either.

Offline markreed

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
They should have taken the Redanka mix of Crazy Tonight, edited it down to five minutes, whacked live drums over it, and made that the opening single. Make "Boots" third, like "Elevation." And fourth single? Hmm. Dare I say .... release "Mercy" in 2010 to bump up the 2010-11 tour?

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »

Bulls#@t

Perhaps.  But I firmly believe that there is no combination of singles that could have been released that would have made NLOTH widely considered to be a classic.  Magnificent WAS released and the general reaction was lukewarm at best.  And I do NOT believe that was because Boots was released first.  I simply believe that many people heard Magnificent and said "been there done that".  And I do not think MoS would have set radio airwaves on fire, either.

Bulls**t

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:49 AM »
They should have taken the Redanka mix of Crazy Tonight, edited it down to five minutes, whacked live drums over it, and made that the opening single. Make "Boots" third, like "Elevation." And fourth single? Hmm. Dare I say .... release "Mercy" in 2010 to bump up the 2010-11 tour?

the Dirty South remix is the best one. interesting idea, though.

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
Magnificent would have helped NLOTH sales if it had been released first. A more traditional U2 sound and route to a vastly underrated album (IMHO)  ;)