Author Topic: The Sopranos Fan Club  (Read 865 times)

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
Re: The Sopranos Fan Club
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »
I'm in Loved the Sopranos

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Soprano Awards

Favourite actor
Favourite actress
Favourite Male Character
Favourite Female Character
Favourite Episode
Favourite Season
Favourite End Credits Song
Funniest Character
Most Violent Scene
Baddest Villain
Sexiest Female Character

Off the top of my head -

Favourite actor - Gandolfini. An absolute joy to watch.
Favourite actress - Falco. Same as.
Favourite Male Character - Tony
Favourite Female Character - Carmella
Favourite Episode - Pine Barrens. Obvious choice but with good reason.
Favourite Season - 2
Favourite End Credits Song - State Trooper
Funniest Character - Paulie.
Most Violent Scene - I think it's in the first few episodes of the third series, the guy with the golf club. Tony's curb stomp runs it close. Also Melfi's ordeal in the parking lot was/is difficult to sit through.
Baddest Villain - Richie
Sexiest Female Character - Melfi closely followed by the red head who Chris gets it on with.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:13:19 AM by Bads316 »

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" B.E. -1984
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
U2 songs played on Soprano's.
You have to listen closely but they are there.

Season Three.  Tony gets pi**ed because the bartender at the Bada Bing put a singing bass in the back office and he comes out into the club to beat him up.  "Mysterious Ways", one of the remixes is playing on the PA as Tony comes out to confront the bartender.

Season Four.  Carmela is at the gym with Adriana and a few other friends doing some machines.  "Elevation" is playing on the gym PA.

Thats it for U2 being played on "The Soprano's".

But really, kudos to David Chase.  His choice of music ultimately increased the already amazing quality of work that went into each and every episode year after year.  The music mixed with the cinematic directing and wonderful acting makes "The Soprano's" a landmark in American Television history.  In my opinion, David Chase is to television as Martin Scorsese is to film making.  If not just for mixing great stories with great music.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »

Season Three.  Tony gets pi**ed because the bartender at the Bada Bing put a singing bass in the back office and he comes out into the club to beat him up.  "Mysterious Ways", one of the remixes is playing on the PA as Tony comes out to confront the bartender.

Season Four.  Carmela is at the gym with Adriana and a few other friends doing some machines.  "Elevation" is playing on the gym PA.

But really, kudos to David Chase.  His choice of music ultimately increased the already amazing quality of work that went into each and every episode year after year.  The music mixed with the cinematic directing and wonderful acting makes "The Soprano's" a landmark in American Television history.  In my opinion, David Chase is to television as Martin Scorsese is to film making.  If not just for mixing great stories with great music.

Ya, some directors really make music a key element to the film/show. Scorsese and Tarantino are the best in my opinion. I wonder how much of an influence Stevie Van Zandt had with the music on the Sopranos. I read that David Chase used him as a "consultant" for the music but ultimately Chase picked what ended up in the episodes.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 02:48:13 AM »
The Soprano Awards

Favourite actor
Favourite actress
Favourite Male Character
Favourite Female Character
Favourite Episode
Favourite Season
Favourite End Credits Song
Funniest Character
Most Violent Scene
Baddest Villain
Sexiest Female Character

Off the top of my head -

Favourite actor - Gandolfini. An absolute joy to watch.

Agreed.  A brilliant performance who figuratively and literally grew into the role.  It's not easy portraying a likeable fellow who is also ruthless, but Jim made it look effortless and totally natural.  Genius casting like so much of the show.

Favourite actress - Falco. Same as.

Agreed.  Again, perfect casting, although Falco only got the role after Lorraine Bracco had first refusal.

Favourite Male Character - Tony

Agreed.  Quite simply, my favourite TV character of all time. 

Favourite Female Character - Carmella

Agreed.  A subtly complicit mafia wife.

Favourite Episode - Pine Barrens. Obvious choice but with good reason.

Agreed.  Probably the funniest episode too, although there is such a rich vein of humour running through the entire series.  University is my second favourite episode.

Favourite Season - 2

Mine is the second part of Season 6.

Favourite End Credits Song - State Trooper

Evidently Chickentown or Glad Tidings.

Funniest Character - Paulie.

Agreed.

Most Violent Scene - I think it's in the first few episodes of the third series, the guy with the golf club. Tony's curb stomp runs it close. Also Melfi's ordeal in the parking lot was/is difficult to sit through.

The scene when Furio smashes up the massage parlour and it's owners.

Baddest Villain - Richie

I agree.  Richie is a sinister figure and has few redeeming features but there was something lightweight about him.  As Junior said, when Richie sounds out another captain about making a move on Tony: he isn't respected.  Phil Leotardo was a whole lot more credible as a ruthless 'old school' mobster and definitely was respected.  Richie Aprile is a bit too theatrical in the way he tries to convey menace, like the way he puts on his ‘psycho’ stare to try to intimidate people, even Tony, but it’s so obvious and Tony tells him not to bother giving him the eyes when Tony bo****ks him about selling drugs on the carting routes.  Other characters such as Philly Leotardo, Feech LaManna and Tony himself don’t need to theatrically convey an aura of menace because they have a domineering presence that gives it off naturally.

Sexiest Female Character - Melfi closely followed by the red head who Chris gets it on with.

Annalisa Zucca - the Italian Mafia 'boss'. 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:53:13 AM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:28 AM »

Ya, some directors really make music a key element to the film/show. Scorsese and Tarantino are the best in my opinion. I wonder how much of an influence Stevie Van Zandt had with the music on the Sopranos. I read that David Chase used him as a "consultant" for the music but ultimately Chase picked what ended up in the episodes.

Steve Van Zandt got a song of his own featured in one of the End-Credits.  Does Little Steven's bottom lip really protrude in real life like Silvio Dante's or was it just for effect in the series?  I wouldn't want to beat him at poker.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »

Scorcese is clearly a big influence on David Chase, so much so that he occasionally cast people for The Sopranos because they had appeared in his movies.  There are also numerous allusions to Scorcese's work throughout the series.