Author Topic: Examine the evidence about u2 silence  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
Examine the evidence about u2 silence
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:05:36 AM »
It is my opinion that many fans are in denial about the deafening silence coming out of the U2 camp. Many of us come up with statements like "they just finished a major world tour last year" (i.e 2011) or, "they only put out an album every four years anyway", but I don't want to live in denial anymore.
I wrote some time back that U2 could no longer be together as a band since they live in four different places (Edge- California, Bono- NY, Adam- London, Larry- Ireland), and no surprises I was lambasted for that.
A simple look at "Off the Record" in the period of time before the release of No Line On the Horizon, will show that there is a lead up to the release of each album. Have we stopped to think how long this lead up period is?

Have a look at some of these posts:

1) From June 8th, 2008- "All right, on to something more positive now: I'm glad we had a bit of news about the record; it's nearly finished!"
(This was nearly 9 months before NLOTH was released.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2) And earlier on May 4th, 2008-
"Can we assume work on the new album is done, or close to it? Bono showed up at a supercar show in Monte Carlo last weekend, and Edge was out frolicking on the beach this weekend with Brangelina. Maybe this is just a short break for everyone. Whether it's done or not, this should put to rest all the garbage in online news circles about U2 "scrapping" everything to start over. Let's hope we don't have to hear more of that...."

3) Earlier still, January 6th, 2008-
"Hopefully 2008 will be the year we get to enjoy another new U2 album. I love the whole new album experience; hearing that first single, discovering new tunes, rhythms and lyrics, seeing the first film clip, checking out the album art...bliss. We've got all that to look forward to this year. And the hype has already begun."

4) And way back on October 1st, 2007, 17 months before the release of NLOTH-
"Trying to keep tabs on Bono's whereabouts each week is harder than it looks. One minute he's in the studio with Edge, Larry and Adam working on the new album..."

All this to show that the idea of a new album was already fairly concrete 17 months before its actual release, and there were of course rumours even earlier than that. There a period of complete silence means that an album is at least 2 years away or a the very best 18 months away.

Of course we could all end our denial, and start to accept that U2 are just "soul rockin' people movin' on" (a hint from Stand Up Comedy?).

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
Re: Examine the evidence about u2 silence
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:23:54 AM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:45:34 AM »
I understand what you're saying. I've been thinking myself, the next album can't possibly be coming out next year because there would be more rumors, more news, something more concrete than just offhand statements of "oh yeah, U2 is working on their new album" that seem to be all we're getting nowadays. It does kind of lead me to believe that maybe they don't want or have no reason to start making the next album. And your concern that they are no longer together because they live in different places sounds valid. They're drifting apart and seeing less of each other.

But I still want to hope that they're making a new album, and I don't care if it's the last album they make, or if I'm in "denial"- I just really want a new album, so I can finally experience what it's like to wait for one. Besides, I'm pretty sure U2 still wants to make music. They'll probably keep going until they are forced to stop, because what would they do without music?

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:14:56 AM »
I would LOVE to hear a new U2 album, but I still don't think that changes anything. They have moved on to other things in their lives. They have families. Edge has his property development. Bono is extremely busy with his political lobbying and developmental work. Larry has his acting. They still do have music, but they are not "lost in the music" as Bono explains one needs to be to be inspired. Bono and Edge still have musical projects such as Spiderman, but they don't have to hold themselves to the same standards as U2.
When they started bringing out "new" material during the final European leg, I was excited. But it wasn't really new music. Those were songs that had been floating around the studio for years, they had nothing else new to bring. They had dried up.
I think they have a lot of maturity to know they can move on in life. I guess they are not saying they are definitely calling it quits, but unless they are super inspired, nothing will materialise. They still reserve the rights to make a new record, but the probability of that is rapidly decreasing.

I would love to be wrong. But at the same time, I want to move on instead of checking @U2 every couple days, *just in case* some news pops up that U2 are back.

Offline Dali

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
Your initial posting indicates the band are in time slot #2 now. Thus, it should now be almost 10 months until release time. An October release date would make a lot of sense ;-)

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
So you are suggesting anything we have heard has been crap?
Sure, maybe we can't believe everything Bono says, but take his appearance on the late late show for example. Things may have been exaggerated like his comment about the best 3 weeks in the studio, but it's still studio time he is excited about.
Even though they are friends, is Gavin Friday just saying he's heard some new material to mess with people? Or maybe Mercury records are behind this this whole scheme as well.

I'm not trying to say there will be a new album right away but for everyone saying "U2 is done" or "they just don't care anymore" or "I'm done living in denial" is just being overly cynical. A lot can happen in a year

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:34:37 PM »
patience, patience, patience

Offline Streets

• Stateless
  • I hear voices, ridiculous voices.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
Last we heard of them (yesterday or so), they were all seen together in Dublin. And apparently, Danger Mouse is there too.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »
So you are suggesting anything we have heard has been crap?
Sure, maybe we can't believe everything Bono says, but take his appearance on the late late show for example. Things may have been exaggerated like his comment about the best 3 weeks in the studio, but it's still studio time he is excited about.
Even though they are friends, is Gavin Friday just saying he's heard some new material to mess with people? Or maybe Mercury records are behind this this whole scheme as well.

I'm not trying to say there will be a new album right away but for everyone saying "U2 is done" or "they just don't care anymore" or "I'm done living in denial" is just being overly cynical. A lot can happen in a year

Ok, so if there are more reports that U2 are up to something then I would have to say that @U2 is letting us down. This is where I come for my U2 news and I am not seeing the same frequency or reliability of reports that have existed for previous albums.

Please point me to the reports of activity occurring in recent months of any recording work being done.

To Fly on a Wall: Where is the article from the last couple days of the band appearing with Danger Mouse in Dublin? I would happily read it. Please send a link.

Maybe I am wrong, or maybe @U2 are not doing their job on reporting the new album!!

(P.S  I don't believe Mercury Records though, they may want the band to put out an album, but that will not influence U2 one way or the other.)

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
I didn't say there have been very recent news, or that this site is letting us down. Look at your own post, number 2 in your "stages" maybe this is where we are? Just because they haven't been in Dublin constantly doesn't mean work hasn't been done. Course it could just be wishful thinking, I think we would all love to hear new material. I'm just trying to say be patient.
And for the record, the entire band is actually in Dublin right now, as is Danger Mouse. Or maybe is is just vacationing there because he loves Dublin so much.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
Pasha - I posted a note that someone tweeted they saw Danger Mouse in Dublin the other day, there is no article. Also in the news section there is a post concerning the band sighting. So that's all the "news" we have.  :)

Matt and company will report something on the home page when there is actual, legitimate news to report. Right now nobody knows what is going on so we all have to be patient. I know it's frustrating, we're all a bit frustrated.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:40 AM »
Thanks for humouring me. Perhaps there is something going on. Perhaps U2 really are going to come out with a masterpiece, something "really different" as Bono says.

But I would hate it if they brought out an album because:
- they feel they "have" to
- there is a record contract demanding it
- it is the habitual life they know

If they are ready to move on in life, then I want them to feel free to do so. If they have run out creativity, then I don't want them to bring out a mediocre album (which I will probably love anyway, because I am a fan).

So, yes if it takes them a couple years more to come out with a masterpiece, then I will be patient for that too.

I have to say none the less, that any snippets or rumours are far less substantial than rumours have been in the past. I will only believe something when one of the band says they are in the studio for real. Gavin Friday or Julian Lennon can believe that there will be a release, but the band can probably change their mind a dozen times if they are not happy with their work. This is the most likely explanation for their silence, they are just not happy enough with anything they have put together (and they may never be happy enough).

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
Don't worry everyone, the new album will be out on November 26, 2013. Thats the US release date. Most of the rest of the world will have the release on Monday November 25.

Offline larrylove

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
they all still have a house in ireland so don't worry.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I had the universe decoded, then the atom split.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »
Thanks for humouring me. Perhaps there is something going on. Perhaps U2 really are going to come out with a masterpiece, something "really different" as Bono says.

But I would hate it if they brought out an album because:
- they feel they "have" to
- there is a record contract demanding it
- it is the habitual life they know

If they are ready to move on in life, then I want them to feel free to do so. If they have run out creativity, then I don't want them to bring out a mediocre album (which I will probably love anyway, because I am a fan).

So, yes if it takes them a couple years more to come out with a masterpiece, then I will be patient for that too.

I have to say none the less, that any snippets or rumours are far less substantial than rumours have been in the past. I will only believe something when one of the band says they are in the studio for real. Gavin Friday or Julian Lennon can believe that there will be a release, but the band can probably change their mind a dozen times if they are not happy with their work. This is the most likely explanation for their silence, they are just not happy enough with anything they have put together (and they may never be happy enough).

I agree with most of this.   I almost sense a "Bilbo Baggins/been there done that" vibe going on with him though.   Until he snaps out of that and climbs out of the Hobbit hole, any amount of creative moments must be few and far between.