DVDs: never
0 (0%)
DVDs: next 5 - 10 years
2 (10.5%)
Both will Never Die Out
4 (21.1%)
Both will die out in 5 - 10 years
5 (26.3%)
Both will go out of style and come back in the future (like vinyl)
4 (21.1%)
They will still be produced but not sold to your main consumers (like cassettes)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Obsolete Formats  (Read 652 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
Re: Obsolete Formats
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
allow me to point out that Beck's latest "album" is only available as sheet music:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
Allow me to point out , as if it needs pointing out, that Beck is a pretentious t**t.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
CDs will be gone in 5 years, until they become cool again like vinyl in 15, since they do have pretty good sound quality.

DVDs will be obsolete, never to return, in 5 years. VCRs haven't come back because retro music formats have actually better quality, while retro movie formats are horrifically low quality. Blu-rays are enough of a difference to justify their existence, and their prices are dropping to DVD prices.

Although Netflix is gaining power, streaming will never replace physical copies until people can choose exactly what movie they want out of a long list, not just the small selection the companies want you to choose from.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Release date of LP 13 ^
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm waiting for Betamax to come back. Just wait!

8)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I'm the Doctor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
allow me to point out that Beck's latest "album" is only available as sheet music:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I love Beck but I'm torn about this. It would be a great idea for an EP; not for an album we've been waiting over four years to get. After all this time it makes this (admittedly neat idea) more frustrating than anything else.

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
I can see DVD's dying out as the bluray format is an obvious replacement in a physical format.  For online formats to replace the physical video formats, though, will require new internet infrastructure in the US that just does seem like it will ever happen.  Streaming will require the HD format that the infrastructure just can't handle.

CD's may die out, but I'm not sure they'll go the route that vinyl has.  There will always be a demand for physical media which will necessitate Vinyl and CD's sticking around until something better comes along.  Online streaming won't satisfy those addicted to the formats that serve audiophiles.  That doesn't mean MP3's won't become the format of choice... It just means their will be enough of a niche market for the CD to remain viable. 

However, if the album as a format for music is to die, that could be the death of vinyl and cd's.  I think that concerns me more than the physical media themselves.  Thankfully, the internet world has made Indie labels the norm, and Indie labels seem to be where the better quality albums are coming from while the major labels focus on the next big hit and single.

Online _acrobat

• Desert Rose
  • Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
I can see DVD's dying out as the bluray format is an obvious replacement in a physical format.  For online formats to replace the physical video formats, though, will require new internet infrastructure in the US that just does seem like it will ever happen.  Streaming will require the HD format that the infrastructure just can't handle.

CD's may die out, but I'm not sure they'll go the route that vinyl has.  There will always be a demand for physical media which will necessitate Vinyl and CD's sticking around until something better comes along.  Online streaming won't satisfy those addicted to the formats that serve audiophiles.  That doesn't mean MP3's won't become the format of choice... It just means their will be enough of a niche market for the CD to remain viable. 

However, if the album as a format for music is to die, that could be the death of vinyl and cd's.  I think that concerns me more than the physical media themselves.  Thankfully, the internet world has made Indie labels the norm, and Indie labels seem to be where the better quality albums are coming from while the major labels focus on the next big hit and single.
Agreed on the last point

Offline Smee

• Desert Rose
  • Controversial, but true!
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
I cant see CDs being phased out. That would pretty much leave no physical copies to be had. Even tho Vinyl is making a comeback...its not produced in anywhere near sufficient numbers. There will always be a market for those (like me) who like to own physical copies. MP3 etc is fine, as a stop gap measure, but cant compete with the quality of Cd or Vinyl