Author Topic: Does Exposure To Violent Images Cause Violence In Society?  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Does Exposure To Violent Images Cause Violence In Society?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Carlin said it best -- “People are wonderful. I love individuals. I hate groups of people. I hate a group of people with a common purpose… ’cause pretty soon they have little hats…”

Didn't this fella once belong to a group of people who's common purpose was to get Bill Clinton elected to the presidency?

I don't think so, maybe. I was under the impression that Carlin didn't vote--he was pretty hard on liberals as well as conservatives.

Sounds like my kind of guy.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
If you haven't listened to Carlin, I suggest you do he was a genius. I will admit a lot of his anti religious stuff offends me. I just skip that part. But his takes on culture on both sides of the fence are hilarious. Most of his stuff comes from a left libertarian POV.

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • New album? Two words: MORE LARRY!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »
We have no moral compass, say what you want about religion and so forth at least it gave our youth a moral compass--right now they have nothing, they are in despair.

A moral compass such as ritual human sacrifice, slavery, burning martyrs around the Colosseum, the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, witch hunts, an ongoing farcical succession of wars, genital mutilation of children (male and female), the stoning of those guilty of the "crimes" of being raped or homosexual, the Holocaust, the murder of men, women and children in the name of ownership of the "Holy Land", the rape of children by priests, the September 11 attacks. What a fine moral compass religion has given us.

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
no.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »
We have no moral compass, say what you want about religion and so forth at least it gave our youth a moral compass--right now they have nothing, they are in despair.

A moral compass such as ritual human sacrifice, slavery, burning martyrs around the Colosseum, the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, witch hunts, an ongoing farcical succession of wars, genital mutilation of children (male and female), the stoning of those guilty of the "crimes" of being raped or homosexual, the Holocaust, the murder of men, women and children in the name of ownership of the "Holy Land", the rape of children by priests, the September 11 attacks. What a fine moral compass religion has given us.
Haha.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »

Really???

Come on man?!

You are just silly

Atheists (Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Castro, Guevara, Carlos the Jackal) and Pagans have done much worse. Don't confuse what man does with religion. Bottom line as the US becomes a more secular nation we have more moral problems.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »

Really???

Come on man?!

You are just silly

Atheists (Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Castro, Guevara, Carlos the Jackal) and Pagans have done much worse. Don't confuse what man does with religion. Bottom line as the US becomes a more secular nation we have more moral problems.
Hahaha, what?

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2012, 02:58:55 AM »
When good things happen it's God's doing.

When bad things happen it's man's doing.

Is that about the size of it?

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »
I think exposure to violence across different mediums has a cumulative effect on desensitizing people to violence. 

Nonsense. I've been playing violent video games for years and years, and real life violence shakes me terribly.

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • Whisper to the Thunder
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Somebody has to do a university study on this and get to the bottom of it. Cause and effect relationships are never easy to draw and those who don't have an understanding of research methods are going to have issues. Then there is an issue with those who have a political agenda.   

The same was said about music back in the 80's with Tipper Gore etc. In many ways video games might have a theraputic effect.   

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • New album? Two words: MORE LARRY!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 10:51:04 PM »
Really???

Come on man?!

You are just silly

I can't quite determine if you're a talented troll or actually so ignorant that it could cancer in fluffy baby kittens.

Did you just put "bad atheists" into google to come up with that list of Marxists? I say Marxists because Hitler was not an atheist, please do not confuse vegetarianism with atheism.

Second, paganism is a religion, or rather is a general term for any religion that is not of the Abrahamic faiths, often applied to polytheistic religions. Please do not presume that the Abrahamic faiths are the only set of practices deemed religions. You will also find that I included pagan practices in that list which I posted.

As for "Atheists ... and Pagans have done much worse." what exactly is worse than rape, murder, mutilation, torture and war?

As for the moral compass that religion provides us, it seems to have consistently failed from the established Neolithic religions through to today, if religion is the moral panacea you propose it is, then why do religious people repeatedly commit such acts and why are such atrocities committed in the name of religion. The moral compass you described is a resounding failure. Saying that it's man's fault and not religion is a cop out, religion, according to you, is supposed to curtail man's violent urges, it simply doesn't.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 05:48:56 AM »
Really???

Come on man?!

You are just silly

I can't quite determine if you're a talented troll or actually so ignorant that it could cancer in fluffy baby kittens.

Did you just put "bad atheists" into google to come up with that list of Marxists? I say Marxists because Hitler was not an atheist, please do not confuse vegetarianism with atheism.

Second, paganism is a religion, or rather is a general term for any religion that is not of the Abrahamic faiths, often applied to polytheistic religions. Please do not presume that the Abrahamic faiths are the only set of practices deemed religions. You will also find that I included pagan practices in that list which I posted.

As for "Atheists ... and Pagans have done much worse." what exactly is worse than rape, murder, mutilation, torture and war?

As for the moral compass that religion provides us, it seems to have consistently failed from the established Neolithic religions through to today, if religion is the moral panacea you propose it is, then why do religious people repeatedly commit such acts and why are such atrocities committed in the name of religion. The moral compass you described is a resounding failure. Saying that it's man's fault and not religion is a cop out, religion, according to you, is supposed to curtail man's violent urges, it simply doesn't.

Man causes atrocities not religion-- Atheists have caused as much evil and killing, more then any religion. The fact that you can't see that man can sometimes use religion as a cop out for his evil acts doesn't change the fact that if you look at secularization in the last 100 years individual crime and violence has risen as religious observance has gone down.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »
Really???

Come on man?!

You are just silly

Man causes atrocities not religion-- Atheists have caused as much evil and killing, more then any religion. The fact that you can't see that man can sometimes use religion as a cop out for his evil acts doesn't change the fact that if you look at secularization in the last 100 years individual crime and violence has risen as religious observance has gone down.

Well at least we can get guns easily. I mean what possible logic is there in making it tougher to get guns in a violent society ?

I don't have the numbers, but Religion is as much to blame for man's violence and atrocities to man as anything else.

If the catholic church had access to the same kind of weapons and technology back then as we have today they'd have wiped out half the earth.

And don't f****** lecture me on the good the church do when they can't turn in their resident pedophiles to the authorities. If you want your voice to be heard and acknowledged on abortion, turn in your resident child molesters first. Otherwise just f*** the hell off.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
He's either trolling or not worth the effort. Completely indoctrinated, and to be honest, with his back against the wall. I'm actually surprised he's not quoting scripture.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
He's either trolling or not worth the effort. Completely indoctrinated, and to be honest, with his back against the wall. I'm actually surprised he's not quoting scripture.

trolling-- I beleive I have been here longer than you bud (mister 109 posts) JT and I have a long History

JT--It was the Catholic church that prevented Europe from being over run by Muslims. It was the Catholic church that started universities and libraries. Right now they are doing more to serve and the help the poor than any other organization or government in the world in the world. You need not confuse Mans acts while using religion as an excuse with religious institutions.