Author Topic: Does Exposure To Violent Images Cause Violence In Society?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: Does Exposure To Violent Images Cause Violence In Society?
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He's either trolling or not worth the effort. Completely indoctrinated, and to be honest, with his back against the wall. I'm actually surprised he's not quoting scripture.

trolling-- I beleive I have been here longer than you bud (mister 109 posts) JT and I have a long History

JT--It was the Catholic church that prevented Europe from being over run by Muslims. It was the Catholic church that started universities and libraries. Right now they are doing more to serve and the help the poor than any other organization or government in the world in the world. You need not confuse Mans acts while using religion as an excuse with religious institutions.

Max - come tell me how much good they do when the pope turns in all the child molesters.

Would you be so defensive of them if it was one of YOUR kids who got abused by one of these guys being protected ?

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
I would defend my relgion but condemn the evil emn that did it and coverd it up

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »

in other words, you'd be defending the pope, your gods chosen leader for the church.

nothing you say about the good the church may or may not be doing will have any sway with me , insignificant as I am, until they fess up and everyone who abused kids, or covered up the abuse, is in jail .

oh, and as for "protecting europe against muslims", well, those issues went both ways at the times.

There is a litany of violence and horror from the catholic church from the days of the crusades, through the slave trade, the catholic-run croation extermination camps during WW2, the rwanda massacres and up to the modern day pedophiles.

Yes, I know that's the work of "evil people" so by the same token the good is the work of "good people"

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • New album? Two words: MORE LARRY!!!
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
JTBaby, save your breath. You can't argue with an argument which basically boils down to "religion provides men with a moral compass... except when it doesn't."

I can give you a stick that repels lions. How? Look around, can you see any lions?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Religion obviously provides many people with a moral compass.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
JTBaby, save your breath. You can't argue with an argument which basically boils down to "religion provides men with a moral compass... except when it doesn't."

I can give you a stick that repels lions. How? Look around, can you see any lions?

Then explain why chartiable giving is higher among Christians an the largest charities in the world are Catholic-- Why are chartiable donations lowest among liberals and atheists

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Then explain why chartiable giving is higher among Christians an the largest charities in the world are Catholic-- Why are chartiable donations lowest among liberals and atheists

Source ?

Plus they don't have to help feed their leaderships' lawsuits.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
Yeah, that would do it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »

Source ?

Absolutely.

Source would be nice on these sort of claims presented as fact.

Surely sources wouldn't be including 'donations to churches' in the charitable acts would they? One could make the point that an atheist is more generous than a devout christian, as the charity and assistance they give is truly backed by no wish for reward in a future life. And is charity limited in such a source to financial donations?

But really, why even try to break this down?

This seemingly american obsession with absolutes is ridiculous. (believer/non believer, republican/democrat, pro life/pro choice, pro guns/pro gun control, liberal/conservative). Why must an entire nation be so obsessed with labelling their constituents?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

Source ?

Absolutely.

Surely sources wouldn't be including 'donations to churches' in the charitable acts would they? One could make the point that an atheist is more generous than a devout christian, as the charity and assistance they give is truly backed by no wish for reward in a future life. And is charity limited in such a source to financial donations?

This seemingly american obsession with absolutes is ridiculous. (believer/non believer, republican/democrat, pro life/pro choice, pro guns/pro gun control, liberal/conservative). Why must an entire nation be so obsessed with labelling their constituents?

Hey, I want to know who's Pro-Pop on this forum and who's Anti-Pop.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

Source ?

Absolutely.

I have given them before--also showing that 7 out of the top 10 charites were christian based.

E/B Knows Catholic charities is the largest chartiable org in the world / 3rd in the con US

Below is in Article from Stanford University

The differences in charity between secular and religious people are dramatic. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). And, consistent with the findings of other writers, these data show that practicing a religion is more important than the actual religion itself in predicting charitable behavior. For example, among those who attend worship services regularly, 92 percent of Protestants give charitably, compared with 91 percent of Catholics, 91 percent of Jews, and 89 percent from other religions.     You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you go down and select all of the Catholic organizations the amount is astounding. Adding up just Catholic Charities, Food for the Poor, Catholic Relief Services, St. Jude's, and America's Second Harvest alone total $5,570,000,000, which is greater than #1 on the list for America. Keep going down the list and you find Father Flanagan's homes, Catholic Medical Mission Board, Covenant House, and more. Add the thousands of other charities, from Missionaries to the Poor, Amigos for Christ, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, to religious orders (like Missionaries of Charity) and thousands upon thousands of individual parishes across the globe who often do their work in anonymity, and you will see some of the charitable works of the Catholic Church.

In the Business Week article below, scroll down to “charities”.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »

1) Our family is made up of every race.
World Fact Book

2) We are young and old,
See below:
U.S. Census Bureau demographics of religion in the US

3) Rich and poor, men and women
See above

4) sinners and saints.
St. Augustine: Sermon 38 on the New Testament

5) Our family has spanned the centuries
…and the globe.
See the US Census Bureau fact page above for geographical distribution of Catholics; see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for info on the 2000-year span of Catholic history.

6) With God‟s grace, we started hospitals
to care for the sick.
Catholic Encyclopedia

7) We establish orphanages, and help the poor.
Catholic Encyclopedia

8) We are the largest charitable organization
on the planet, bringing relief and comfort to those in need.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Just Catholic Charities, Food for the Poor, Catholic Relief Services, St. Jude's, and America's Second Harvest alone total $5,570,000,000, which is greater than #1 on the list for America. Keep going down the list and you find Father Flanagan's homes, Catholic Medical Mission Board, Covenant House, and more. Add the thousands of other charities, from Missionaries to the Poor, Amigos for Christ, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, to religious orders (like Missionaries of Charity) & individual parishes who often do their work in anonymity, and you will see some of the charitable works of the Catholic Church.
Business Week (scroll down to “charities”)

Largest charity in Australia

9) We educate more children than any other scholarly or religious institution.

10) We developed the scientific method….
Source: From How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization by Dr. Thomas Woods, page 94 and following:
"Roger Bacon, a Franciscan who taught at Oxford, was admired for his work in mathematics and optics, and is considered to be a forerunner of modern scientific method."
"Like Roger Bacon, Saint Albert [the Great] was careful to note the importance of direct observation in the acquisition of knowledge about the physical world. In De Mineralibus, he explained that the aim of natural science was 'not simply to accept the statements of others, that is, what is narrated by people, but to investigate the causes that are at work in nature for themselves.'"
"Robert Grosseteste...bishop of Lincoln...has been called the first man ever to write down a complete set of steps for performing a scientific experiment."
“If a believer cannot be a scientist, as is maintained, then all the great scientists must be unbelievers. In spite of its boldness the assertion is made, in order to save the appearance of consistency. The fact is, however, that up to the French Revolution, when Voltaire and Rousseau drew the last consequences from Atheism, the great scientists, almost to a man, speak with great reverence of God and of His wonderful Creation. Is it necessary to mention Copernicus, Kepler, Galilei, Tycho Brahe, Newton, Huyghens, Boyle, Haller, Mariotte, the Bernoullis, Euler, Linné, and many others? Since it is often the advocates of the glorious principles of 1789 that never tire of recounting the tragedy of Galilei, we beg to remind them of the great chemist Lavoisier, who died faithful to his Church under the guillotine, while the free-thinkers raised the cry: "Nous n'avous plus besoin de chimistes" [see "Etudes", cxxiii (Paris, 1910), 834 sqq.]. For the time after the French Revolution we find in Kneller's volume (see below) the names of a glorious array of believing scientists, taken only from the branch of natural sciences. According to Donat ("Die Freiheit der Wissenschaft", Innsbruck, 1910, p. 251) among the 8847 scientists enumerated in Poggendorff's "Biographisch-Literarisches Handwörterbuch" (Leipzig, 1863) there are no less than 862 Catholic clergymen, or nearly ten per cent of the number” (Catholic Encyclopedia, “Science and the Church,” J.G. Hagen, available at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).
See also:
Notable Catholic scientists: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"St. Albertus Magnus," D.J. Kennedy, Catholic Encyclopedia, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
“Albert was assiduous in cultivating the natural sciences; he was an authority on physics, geography, astronomy, mineralogy, chemistry (alchimia), zoölogy, physiology, and even phrenology. On all these subjects his erudition was vast, and many of his observations are of permanent value…”
"Roger Bacon," Theolphilus Witzle, Catholic Encyclopedia, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

10…..and laws of evidence.
Source: From How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization by Dr. Thomas Woods, page 187 and following:
“…Cases like this have led legal scholar Harold Berman to observe that modern Western legal systems „are a secular residue of religious attitudes and assumptions which historically found expression first in the liturgy and rituals and doctrines of the church and thereafter in the institutions and concepts and values of the law…‟” (Berman‟s work: Law and Revolution: The Formation of the Western Legal Tradition)
“The idea of rights is one of the most distinctive aspects of Western civilization, and scholars are increasingly coming to acknowledge that it, too, comes to us from the Church.” (page 198)
“Thus it was in the Church‟s canon law that the West saw the first example of a modern legal system, and it was in light of that model that the modern Western legal tradition took shape.” (page 201)

10) We founded the college system.
The Catholic Encyclopedia, "Universities," Edward A. Pace, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
Ibid., "Schools: in the Church," Wilfrid Ryan, Philippe Perrier, Michael Maher, Andrew Murphy, William Turner and J.A. Burns, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

11) We defend the dignity of all human life,
and uphold marriage and family.
Sources: Vatican

Catechism of the Catholic Church: 2270 Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.

12) Cities were named after our revered saints,
who navigated a sacred path before us.
St. Louis, MO, St. Paul, MI, St. Augustine, FL, San Antonio, TX, etc.

13) Guided by the Holy Spirit, we compiled the Bible [I.E. THE NEW TESTAMENT].
We are transformed by sacred scripture and sacred Tradition,
which have consistently guided us for 2,000 years.
Source: Catholic Encyclopedia

14) We are…… the Catholic Church…
with over one billion in our family
sharing in the sacraments and fullness of Christian faith.
Source: Adherents.com

15) For centuries, we have prayed for you and our world,
every hour of every day, whenever we celebrate the mass.

16) Jesus, Himself, laid the foundation for our faith
when He said to Peter, the first pope, “You are rock,
and upon this rock I will build My Church.”
Source: Matthew 16:18-19

Who Founded Your Church?

17) For over 2,000 years, we have had an unbroken line of shepherds guiding the Catholic Church with love and truth, in a confused and hurting world.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:12:05 PM by Maximus »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »
And your organization harbors child molesters, a policy endorsed at it's highest levels.

How proud you must be.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »
Let's not forget that their Supreme Leader also took the opportunity during his Christmas address to rant about the evils of homosexuality.

Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men, so long as they aren't fab.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I wonder if the gaudiness and pomp is really what jesus had in mind ? These guys would do everyone a favor if they just came out once and for all. This is closer to Liberace than to jesus christ

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login