Author Topic: Does Exposure To Violent Images Cause Violence In Society?  (Read 4652 times)

Online briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Does Exposure To Violent Images Cause Violence In Society?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
What did any of those 17 points actually demonstrate? I'm confused.

Religion does good things for people.

Atheists have a morals structure

terrible things are done in the name of religion.

Terrible things are done by atheists.

To suggest religion is the answer to societies ills though is utterly laughable. To back that up with Catholic self compiled and sanctioned information is hardly the independent monthly.

I'm not even sure what the question is but I'm quite clear that many think God is the answer.

I was educated at a Catholic school for 6 years. It taught me plenty. But it didn't teach me right from wrong, my parents did that...

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • Free yourself to be yourself.
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 04:10:39 AM »
10) We developed the scientific method….

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 That's the funniest $#!+ I've heard all week.

Verification is an integral part of science, you might want to try it some time!

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2012, 07:49:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder if the gaudiness and pomp is really what jesus had in mind ? These guys would do everyone a favor if they just came out once and for all. This is closer to Liberace than to jesus christ

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah, they look completely ridiculous. Or fabulous, depending how you look at it.

And that's another thing--do you want your cause to look authentic? Want a better chance at controlling a group of people? Wear some kind of extravagant uniform, like the one above. It helps convince the gullible that you know what you are talking about.

I'm sure the religious here are good people--I just don't understand how they could blindly defend the history, particularly Christianity's. Violence against other religions, oppression of women/homosexuals, child abuse, land rights, tax exempt status, and the overall obstruction of scientific progress. I'm not even going to touch the middle ages, it wouldn't even be fair.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
I sugest you read cahills mysteries of the middle ages

After the long period of cultural decline known as the Dark Ages, Europe experienced a rebirth of scholarship, art, literature, philosophy, and science and began to develop a vision of Western society that remains at the heart of Western civilization today.

By placing the image of the Virgin Mary at the center of their churches and their lives, medieval people exalted womanhood to a level unknown in any previous society. For the first time, men began to treat women with dignity and women took up professions that had always been closed to them.

The communion bread, believed to be the body of Jesus, encouraged the formulation of new questions in philosophy: Could reality be so fluid that one substance could be transformed into another? Could ordinary bread become a holy reality? Could mud become gold, as the alchemists believed? These new questions pushed the minds of medieval thinkers toward what would become modern science.

Artists began to ask themselves similar questions. How can we depict human anatomy so that it looks real to the viewer? How can we depict motion in a composition that never moves? How can two dimensions appear to be three? Medieval artists (and writers, too) invented the Western tradition of realism.

On visits to the great cities of Europe—monumental Rome; the intellectually explosive Paris of Peter Abelard and Thomas Aquinas; the hotbed of scientific study that was Oxford; and the incomparable Florence of Dante and Giotto—Cahill brilliantly captures the spirit of experimentation, the colorful pageantry, and the passionate pursuit of knowledge that built the foundations for the modern world

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »

Verification is an integral part of science, you might want to try it some time!

So should you

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   No Catholic Chruch, No Scientific method

Albertus Magnus (1193-1250) and Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), two students of scholasticism, a philosophical system emphasizing the use of reason in exploring questions of philosophy and theology. Magnus made a distinction between revealed truth (revelation of something unknown through a divine power) and experimental science and made many scientific observations in astronomy, chemistry, geography and physiology.
Roger Bacon (c.1210-c.1293), an English Franciscan friar, philosopher, scientist and scholar who called for an end to blind acceptance of widely accepted writings. In particular, he targeted Aristotle's ideas, which, while valuable, were often accepted as fact even when evidence did not support them.

It must be hard not to have a basic understanding of history
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:28:10 AM by Maximus »

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »

After the long period of cultural decline known as the Dark Ages, Europe experienced a rebirth of scholarship, art, literature, philosophy, and science and began to develop a vision of Western society that remains at the heart of Western civilization today.

By placing the image of the Virgin Mary at the center of their churches and their lives, medieval people exalted womanhood to a level unknown in any previous society. For the first time, men began to treat women with dignity and women took up professions that had always been closed to them.

The communion bread, believed to be the body of Jesus, encouraged the formulation of new questions in philosophy: Could reality be so fluid that one substance could be transformed into another? Could ordinary bread become a holy reality? Could mud become gold, as the alchemists believed? These new questions pushed the minds of medieval thinkers toward what would become modern science.

Artists began to ask themselves similar questions. How can we depict human anatomy so that it looks real to the viewer? How can we depict motion in a composition that never moves? How can two dimensions appear to be three? Medieval artists (and writers, too) invented the Western tradition of realism.

On visits to the great cities of Europe—monumental Rome; the intellectually explosive Paris of Peter Abelard and Thomas Aquinas; the hotbed of scientific study that was Oxford; and the incomparable Florence of Dante and Giotto—Cahill brilliantly captures the spirit of experimentation, the colorful pageantry, and the passionate pursuit of knowledge that built the foundations for the modern world
It just sounds to me like he's playing down the wars and cruelty of that time, and not providing a comprehensive account for that time period.  Is he an actual historian or just an engaging writer?

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »
People who have violent tendancies probably do play violet video games. That doesn't imply causation though - how many people have been TURNED violent because of video games? I don't think this should be the focus at all. It seems mad to me to focus on banning violent films/games when you can still buy an ACTUAL gun. A huge portion of the population watch violent films and play violent games without any ill effects. It could be that it's actually a good thing that potentially volatile people can have a non-violent outlet for their anger, although mental health treatment is clearly what should be the main priority in all of this.

That and banning guns.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »
I wonder if the gaudiness and pomp is really what jesus had in mind ? These guys would do everyone a favor if they just came out once and for all. This is closer to Liberace than to jesus christ

Yeah, they look completely ridiculous. Or fabulous, depending how you look at it.

And that's another thing--do you want your cause to look authentic? Want a better chance at controlling a group of people? Wear some kind of extravagant uniform, like the one above. It helps convince the gullible that you know what you are talking about.

I'm sure the religious here are good people--I just don't understand how they could blindly defend the history, particularly Christianity's. Violence against other religions, oppression of women/homosexuals, child abuse, land rights, tax exempt status, and the overall obstruction of scientific progress. I'm not even going to touch the middle ages, it wouldn't even be fair.

You have to remember that religion goes back thousands of years, and is typically slow to evolve. I'm not religious, but I do think it's unfair how Christians, particularly Catholics, are being increasingly marginalised as deluded in modern society. A lot of very bad things have happened in religion over the years, and most of the followers of those religions will be horrified by them. But that does not invalidate their beliefs or rights, and we need to respect that. The majority of believers are good people and religion teaches a lot of good things. The gradual move to a more secular society has to be built on mutual respect and I fear that's not going to happen.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
Like respecting their stance on equal rights for all, and bringing known pedophiles to justice ?

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »

You have to remember that religion goes back thousands of years, and is typically slow to evolve. I'm not religious, but I do think it's unfair how Christians, particularly Catholics, are being increasingly marginalised as deluded in modern society. A lot of very bad things have happened in religion over the years, and most of the followers of those religions will be horrified by them. But that does not invalidate their beliefs or rights, and we need to respect that. The majority of believers are good people and religion teaches a lot of good things. The gradual move to a more secular society has to be built on mutual respect and I fear that's not going to happen.
You act as if religion respected the doubters and thinkers when it actually had a pretty good stranglehold on society. No one is being crucified here--if you're going to put forth your belief as a fact, and defend an organization/cult responsible for various atrocities throughout history, you better expect this type of exchange.

All I'm saying is that we know more about the world now, we can explain the order a little bit better. Nitpicking the best bits of the bible/religion to justify your reasoning just won't do anymore, and it's about time we start questioning these crazy myths so progress can be made.

Here's a good Sam Harris quote-- see if you can answer it:
"I would challenge anyone here to think of a question upon which we once had a scientific answer, however inadequate, but for which now the best answer is a religious one."

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • Free yourself to be yourself.
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »

So should you

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   No Catholic Chruch, No Scientific method

Albertus Magnus (1193-1250) and Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), two students of scholasticism, a philosophical system emphasizing the use of reason in exploring questions of philosophy and theology. Magnus made a distinction between revealed truth (revelation of something unknown through a divine power) and experimental science and made many scientific observations in astronomy, chemistry, geography and physiology.
Roger Bacon (c.1210-c.1293), an English Franciscan friar, philosopher, scientist and scholar who called for an end to blind acceptance of widely accepted writings. In particular, he targeted Aristotle's ideas, which, while valuable, were often accepted as fact even when evidence did not support them.

It must be hard not to have a basic understanding of history

The evolution of the scientific method cannot be dissociated from the history of science itself. From the Greek schools of scepticism and empiricism through to the works of Abu Alhazen, who in 1011 (that's 200 odd years before Roger Bacon was born, for those playing along at home) began his works on optics which described a system of controlled testing and systematic methodology, along with mathematical modelling (remember, at this stage the Christians were still using Roman numerals and had not even adopted the concept of zero); the foundations of the scientific method predate the advances made in the 13th century.

Oh sure, they made contributions to the evolution of the scientific method, but by no means did they invent it. They built upon the works of those who came before them, just as those who succeeded them built upon their works, or as the apothegm goes: upon the shoulders of giants.

So, what was that supercilious comment about not knowing history?

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Like respecting their stance on equal rights for all, and bringing known pedophiles to justice ?

I'm sure individual catholics by in large share that belief. The shocking cover up was not done by normal worshippers.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »

You act as if religion respected the doubters and thinkers when it actually had a pretty good stranglehold on society. No one is being crucified here--if you're going to put forth your belief as a fact, and defend an organization/cult responsible for various atrocities throughout history, you better expect this type of exchange.

All I'm saying is that we know more about the world now, we can explain the order a little bit better. Nitpicking the best bits of the bible/religion to justify your reasoning just won't do anymore, and it's about time we start questioning these crazy myths so progress can be made.

Here's a good Sam Harris quote-- see if you can answer it:
"I would challenge anyone here to think of a question upon which we once had a scientific answer, however inadequate, but for which now the best answer is a religious one."

All I'M saying is that it's not fair to marginalise normal worshippers for the things that were carried out by other people in the church. Everyone has a right to believe what they want, regardless of whether it's a "myth" in your eyes.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »

It just sounds to me like he's playing down the wars and cruelty of that time, and not providing a comprehensive account for that time period.  Is he an actual historian or just an engaging writer?

Both--he is a really good writer he laso wrote "How the Irish Saved Civilization" , The Gifts of the Jews, and the World Before and after Jesus--he is very critical of the church however he is pretty balanced, that he can see that just becuae you have disagreements you don't discount there accomplishments.  That is the problem I have with most liberals today--If you don't agree with them on X Y and Z nothing you do is good or worthy in thier eyes.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

I'm sure individual catholics by in large share that belief. The shocking cover up was not done by normal worshippers.

So ?

They still give money to the church and the church STILL hasn't come clean.

The flock (and there's good reasons for calling them a flock) are indirectly complicit if they continue to support them until they do